What's new

Bootlegger's Bay Rum Lime: a review

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
First off: if the mods or anyone else wants to move this thread, please do. I just wasn't sure where to post it.
Second thanks go out to @G.W. for sending me this sample, as my busy/lazy rear end would not have gone to the trouble of buying/mixing the components of this concoction together. Thanks again!!!
Now, to the review. I have a limited vocabulary when it comes to descriptions of all things olfactory. I'll do my best to make @OkieStubble and @TheVez2 proud. Here goes.
I did not read anyone else's reviews so as to not be prejudiced in my thoughts.
My first whiff of this stuff was after I untaped the lid from the excellent packaging, while still in the bottle. On a side note: the War Department was not happy when she saw yet another bottle of AS in my possession. Then when she found out that it was a gift, she said, " you have some weird friends" to which I had nothing to add. She is right, if weird friends send you things for nothing, that they took the time to create and bottle and send out.
Bottle sniff test: not what I expected. At all. Smelled kinda soapy, in a good way.
Face sniff test: much better. Soapy smell dissipated in less than a minute.
Face feel: just the right amount of "sting" for me. Not "slap your mama into next week" nor a little loving stroke on your cheek to wake you up. A great middle ground, refreshing.
Longevity: smelled it on my hands when I rubbed my face 2 hours later. Then I went to sleep. My overall impression is that like most Bay Rum AS's, it is fleeting. I will simply apply more.
Now lastly, and most importantly to me, my general impression of the quality of the scent: honestly, at first, probably because it was so unlike anything else I have ever tried, I wasn't that impressed. So I had the War Department sniff me. She likes it! She never says much about my various AS/cologne choices, so this is HUGE. So I reapplied some, and some more. It grew on me! It continues to.
I love lime, I have for as long as I can remember. My only complaint is that it could be a little more "limey" lol.
I could see me using this year round, not just in the warmer months.

And if my life slows down enough, I could see me mixing up some of this myself.
I give it, in my mixed up mind, an 8.5 of a possible 10.
Thanks to all that have read this rambling review, Dave.

On a side note: the War Department was not happy when she saw yet another bottle of AS in my possession. Then when she found out that it was a gift, she said, " you have some weird friends" to which I had nothing to add.

She is correct, let her know I am totally weird.

Also, great review! I just mixed up the Bay Rum and Lime Bay Rum last Sunday before I sent those out, and IMO, they do well to "age" for at least 2-3 weeks for everything to get blended together nicely.
The lime portion of that comes from Pinaud's Citrus Musk. The lime note is very short lived like almost any citrus scent. It dries down to that clean/soapy scent that you noticed. I'd very strongly recommend that you pick up the Lime Sec and the Citrus Musk. Both of them are so great.
This mix feels good on the skin after a shave, and the feeling lingers for awhile, on me.

Thanks for letting us know what you think. Give us another brief check-in after you've tried it a couple of times.

FarmerTan

Thanks @Graybeard57 ! And thanks again @G.W. ! I am glad to hear that this stuff gets even better if it "stews" for awhile. Will re-evaluate as the days go by....

lol I just posted my review of a free sample, and mentioned your "War Department" comments to my wife. She simply said, "I understand that woman."

FarmerTan

lol I just posted my review of a free sample, and mentioned your "War Department" comments to my wife. She simply said, "I understand that woman."
Yes, if my lovely bride ever kills me it will be deemed "justifiable homicide!"

FarmerTan

@G.W. : update on Bootlegger's Bay Rum: I love it, it has gotten better with age, smells more "blended" I guess. Deeper, too, if any of that makes sense to you. Congratulations to @OkieStubble , and @TheVez2 , for some REALLY nice juice. Just like B&B in general, this stuff is better when combined than in it's single components.... Thanks again GW!

Right on! Thanks for the update.
Thanks to B&B, I'm always tinkering with my aftershaves now. Mixing things up and thinking about what would work well together.

FarmerTan

Right on! Thanks for the update.
Thanks to B&B, I'm always tinkering with my aftershaves now. Mixing things up and thinking about what would work well together.
I doubt this is possible, but could the mix have gotten darker in color? I have it stored in the dark, by the way.

I don't think so, but I don't know for sure one way or the other. I know my bottle of it hasn't changed that I can tell, and I mixed it back in the spring.

Top Bottom