What's new

Bootlegger's Bay Rum Bonanza

Tried the last of the Bootlegger's Bay Rum series this evening. Decided to trim the beard lines at night which is unusual for me. But I was anxious to try these new splashes.

Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum: Same great Bootlegger's Bay Rum, but with Lime! Take the same recipe above, and add an equal part of Pinaud Citrus Musk. I tried many different lime aftershave's, before settling on this one, but Citrus Musk seems like it was made for Bootlegger's! Great reviews by everyone who has tried it. Great summer time bay rum.

This offering is an equally effective healing warm splash as the other bay rums in the series and shares the same bay undertones. Only makes sense as they share the same ingredients. Like the others, alcohol content is high. Something I really look for in a splash.

The Lime however has a twist. Pinaud Citrus Musk. This is a sweet citrusy lime with Pinaud powder dry down. It is not a dark, earthy, or 'burnt' lime like you find in Dominica with lime, but a crisp 'pezzy' punch similar to 4711. It dominates in the top and middle. I will look for musk in the base, but not getting it early. 45 minutes after application the scent is still very strong. I suspect, as with the Original and Perfecto, should project nicely for two to three hours. I can see using this more in the warmer months, The Original and Perfecto, year round. This is the most sweet and 'perfumey' of the three. A very unique 'bay rum' interpretation and departure from traditional Bay Rum. Compared to the others, the bay sits at the very back of the bus.

Well done.

I am enjoying this immensely.

My ratings of the Bay Rum Bootlegger's in order of preference:

1. Perfecto
2. Original
3. Lime

Next up are the "Freezers".

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Great reviews Tony, I am glad you are enjoying the Bootlegger's Collection so far. 3 down, 2 to go. I must admit, the Lime Bay Rum is my favorite. I find the dry down to be awesomeness in a bottle! :) My order of preference of the bay rums go like this:

1. Lime
2. Original
3. Perfecto

Last edited:
This is such a fantastic thread! I'm going to probably pick up all of these and give them a whirl. Worst case scenario: I have too much and end up gifting them to wet shaving buddies!

This is such a fantastic thread! I'm going to probably pick up all of these and give them a whirl. Worst case scenario: I have too much and end up gifting them to wet shaving buddies!

It is an inexpensive risk well worth taking. I will be making a batch of Perfecto and Original.

Bootlegger's Green Freeze: I love Osage Rub. It's a cold blast during hot weather and it's cheap. But man, does it smell medicinal!
However, Wouldn't Osage Rub be perfect if they gave it a light summer scent like vanilla? Well, look no further! 50/50 mix Osage Rub / Mennen Skin Bracer. Perfect combo! They both have menthol, but the extra menthol and Eucalyptus in the OR, give it an extra cooling boost! The vanilla from the Skin Bracer blends in and totally eliminates any medicinal scent. Both AS's are green, so it mixes perfectly in color with no funky blue green look!. Many have tried it and agree, THE GREEN FREEZE IS AWESOME!

Splashed on some Green Freeze this morning.

Brrrrrrrrr!

That is what I expected from a combination of Osage Rub and Skin Bracer. What I did not expect was the knock out punch delivered to Ben Gay. The creamy vanilla talc in the Skin Bracer neutralizes the medicinal frontal assault delivered by The Rub, making this green elixir a real winner in the scent department.

I will be combining my Skin Bracer and Osage Rub together from now on.

What do you call it?

I call it StallionTSEWiseGuys ... oops, wrong thread!!! (just kidding, please don't get mad at me, anyone!)

Actually, I usually do it "on demand," just mixing a bit in my hand from each bottle. I like to think of it as Green Freeze, but that name seems to be taken. Because of this thread, I've thought about mixing some in a bottle for ease of use.

OkieStubble

I call it StallionTSEWiseGuys ... oops, wrong thread!!! (just kidding, please don't get mad at me, anyone!)

Actually, I usually do it "on demand," just mixing a bit in my hand from each bottle. I like to think of it as Green Freeze, but that name seems to be taken.

How about, "The Green Chiller"? :)

I have not forgotten to try and review the Arctic Lime Blast. Just feelin' a bit Bay Rumish these days. I will soon. Promise.

Thanks to TheVez2, I was able to try a sample of Bootlegger's Bay Rum (equal parts Pinaud VIBR, Superior 70, and Master BR). I didn't detect the clove smell when applying like when I used VIBR. I thought the scent was good, and seemed to last quite a while.

And the final review in this series.

Bootlegger's Artic Lime Blast: Want the power of artic cold with the power of lime? 50/50 mix Osage Rub / Pinaud Lime Sec.
The Lime Sec is a sweet lime, which blends perfectly with OR. The PLS eliminates the medicinal scent of OR and the color mixes perfectly, because their both still green! Great if your just looking for a cheap, cold, straight up lime scent.

Performance and chill are the same as The Green Freeze with the added zest of lime from the Pinuad Lime Sec. The Lime Sec is sweet, but loses some edge when mixed with OR. This isn't a bad thing. The Lime Sec neutralizes the medicinal nature of OR and the OR neutralizes the candy sweet properties of Lime Sec. Another winner. Mean and green. Again, I cannot thank OkieStubble enough for sending me these samples and introducing me to the world of Bootlegger's.

Below are the Bootlegger's I have decided to make at home:

1. Original
2. Perfecto
3. Green Freeze

This has been truly a blast. You can't go wrong experimenting considering the affordability of the ingredients.

Now off to find some bottles for decanting. I hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing these reviews.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Wonderful reviews Tony, each and every one. I'm glad there are a few Bootlegger's recipes you decided to give a home. I enjoyed waiting in anticipation for each of your reviews, it was great fun! Kinda sad that it's over actually. :) Thanks again for trying these and for all you do as our Aftershave Steward, in keeping this forum active and fun!

Top Bottom