What's new

Bootlegger's Aftershave Reviews

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Review - Bootlegger's Arctic Lime

proxy.php

Background

Bootlegger's Aftershaves are a product of the good members of the Badger and Blade Forum community, with the initiative spearheaded by @OkieStubble, who I am delighted to see has joined our Aussie Forum.
The Bootlegger's concept is to blend together a combination of drug-store aftershaves to produce a derivative product, hopefully with synergy such the blend results in a final product that is superior to the sum of its parts.

Recipe
  • 1 part Jeris Osage Rub
  • 1 part Pinaud Lime Sec cologne
Scent and Performance

For me, this "green" variant blends together more homogeneously than Green Freeze. The Pinaud Lime Sec cologne is sweet and vibrant, and matches really well with the more austere medicinal notes of the Osage Rub, resulting in a nicely balanced scent. I would rate the scent of this blend as having medium longevity as an aftershave splash.

The face feel is very good with this blend. It is a very refreshing aftershave, with a nice alcohol bite and a good menthol hit.

Summary

More great work from @OkieStubble. Arctic Lime is perfect for hot weather, or anytime you feel like a refreshing pick me up.

I've got those ingredients and an empty hot sauce bottle with a cap and dispenser top! I'm going to make some!

JCarr

Review - Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia

proxy.php

Bootlegger's Aftershaves are a product of the good members of the Badger and Blade Forum community, with the initiative spearheaded by @OkieStubble, who I am delighted to see has joined our Aussie Forum.
The Bootlegger's concept is to blend together a combination of drug-store aftershaves to produce a derivative product, hopefully with synergy such that the blend results in a final product that is superior to the sum of its parts.

Recipe
  • 1 part Master Bay Rum
  • 1 part Superior 70 Alcoholado Bay Rum
  • 1 part Vitos Colonia Tobacco
Note: Vitos have recently changed their bottle and label, but there is no mistaking the colour and scent.

Scent and Performance

As noted in the Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum review, the Master and Superior 70 Bay Rums are fresh and light styles, with the Master having a slight sweetness, and the Superior 70 having a very pure bay leaf note. The addition of the Vitos Tobacco gives the scent depth and warmth, with a touch of sweetness. It is a very masculine scent with a touch of sophistication, with the Bay Rum notes interplaying well with the Tobacco notes. Again, this is a very versatile blend that can easily be used in warm weather. I would rate the scent of this blend as having medium-high longevity as an aftershave splash.

The face feel and performance is very good. It has a refreshing rather than savage sting upon application, and the glycerin in the Master Bay Rum provides a nice moisturising effect upon dry down.

Summary

I knew I would like this blend, as I already am a fan of the Vitos Tobacco splash. Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia has become my equal favourite Bootlegger's blend alongside El Dorado.
It makes me think of holidays, which can't be a bad thing! Outstanding work from @OkieStubble and the assisting B&B community members. You've kicked another goal with this one, Rob :thumbup: .

Unfortunately, the Vitos Colonia Tobacco afteshave isn't available in the United States otherwise I would have mixed this stuff up a long time ago. Wonderful review! Thanks!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
And I thought I fell down a rabbit hole my first few years of wetshaving. I'm just a piker compared to the OP. The Arctic Lime is tempting, but I'll force myself to pass. In my early days, I was all for trying anything bay rum, I tried the original Bootleggers. It was just ok. I also tried each individually. I found Master's too sticky, and didn't like the scent of VIBR. 10 years ago, I was able to pick up a bunch of bottles of Superior 70 at a local pharmacy for under $4 a bottle. I still use S70 as an aftershave occasionally, but it's great for skin irritations on other parts of the body, like itching and bug bites.

Thanks for the review... :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Unfortunately, the Vitos Colonia Tobacco afteshave isn't available in the United States otherwise I would have mixed this stuff up a long time ago. Wonderful review! Thanks!

I wonder why vendors quit carrying it? Is there other alcohol based aftershaves they still sell from overseas?

Great thread! Thanks for the inspiration to get blending again. Summer is coming in the northern hemisphere. Some Osage Rub Bootlegger's blends will be mixed in the Tanuki laboratory post haste.

It is with great sadness that I admit I have yet to track down Superior 70 bay rum.

JCarr

I wonder why vendors quit carrying it? Is there other alcohol based aftershaves they still sell from overseas?

It's just plain bizarre that this product is only available outside the States. Oh well. Will keep my eyes peeled for it to show up on American shores.

... Green Freeze takeoff! I'm not capable of a properly informed in-depth review, but I think the Osage Rub booster puts a needed brace in Skin Bracer. After a couple more uses, I may even bump up the Rub ratio a bit.

Review - Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum

proxy.php

Background

The Bootlegger's concept is to blend together a combination of drug-store aftershaves to produce a derivative product, hopefully with synergy such the blend results in a final product that is superior to the sum of its parts.

Recipe
  • 1 Part Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum
  • 1 Part Master Bay Rum
  • 1 Part Superior 70 Bay Rum
  • 1 Part Pinaud Citrus Musk

Scent and Performance

Man - this is good stuff! With a base as good as the Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum, you are starting from a very good place. The addition of the Pinaud Citrus Musk takes the scent to a whole new level - the sweet citrus lime smooths out the robustness of the Bay Rums, and results in a delightful and refreshing scent. You get both the warmth of the bay rum, and the fresh citrus hit from the Citrus Musk.

The face feel is again very good with this blend. There is a healthy alcohol bite, and a touch of moisturising from the glycerin in the Master Bay Rum.

Summary

An absolute balltearer from @OkieStubble. The additional of the Citrus Musk makes this blend most versatile. Hats off to you, Rob - you've nailed it again!

Review - Bootlegger's El Dorado

proxy.php

Recipe
  • 2 Parts Pinaud Special Reserve
  • 2 Parts Pinaud Classic Vanilla
  • 1 Part Dana English Leather

Scent and Performance

This is the first Bootlegger's blend that I put together a little over a year ago. At the time, it was the only blend that I could obtain ingredients for. There are no Bay Rum elements in this blend - it is a bare-chested tribute to the Wild West. The ultra-masculine leather notes of the Special Reserve are rounded out and lifted by the Classic Vanilla and English Leather. Whilst maintaining its rugged character, it is surprisingly sophisticated.

The face feel is good with this blend, but it is all about that wonderful scent. I would rate the longevity of El Dorado as medium-strong for an aftershave.
On a tangent, I experimented with the addition of menthol crystals after a few weeks, as it was late summer at the time. This works just fine, due to the potent nature of the scent can handle the menthol without being overpowered. I juiced it up pretty good - probably colder than the Green Freeze or Arctic Lime blends. The menthol note is present in the first 5-10 minutes, then fades, leaving the original scent to power on.

Summary

A screamer from @OkieStubble. The elements blend together fantastically well - it has stood the test of time, and remains my favourite Bootlegger's blend, and indeed has become one of my favourite aftershaves.
This will always be in my rotation. As I remarked to the creator, Rob, this scent evokes Clint Eastwood entering the saloon in the Wild West after several weeks on the trail. He saunters upstairs, has a quick bath and shave, then splashes on plenty of El Dorado before heading downstairs for a drink and some company.

JCarr

El Dorado is fantastic stuff. I dare say...it's as good as any artisan aftershave. But...that's Bootlegger's for ya!

I WISH I had ANY of those choices here. In Japan there seems to be kinda two flavors…
”high school boy just started shaving, sport” and “old man”. It’s expensive too…especially for not having a tester bottle available.

Ive given up and just started making my own using essential oils and other ingredients.

Maybe I should start growing herbs for AS creations….hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom