What's new

Boom Boom

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Anyone ever carry a single action revolver when going to the store or somewhere just for grins?

This series is a bit long, so allocate your time appropriately. I have absolutely no use for the buscadero rig she's wearing and handle one a bit different, but to each his own.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

1576113487503.png

Back in the early eighties, when I was young and stupid, my brother-in-law and I went after ground chucks one day in the foothills near Provo, UT. After a few hours, we got hungry and decided to go into town to get something from a grocery store to take back into the mountains. Don't ask me why we didn't think of that in the first place...like I said, young and stupid. Any way, we were both carrying lever action .22s and belted Ruger Single-Sixes, and walked into the grocery store like it was the most normal thing in the world. Got a few odd looks, but nobody said a word, or (fortunately) called the authorities. I don't think I'd try that today...I'm older, and hopefully not as stupid.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
No, I haven't. I love my Blackhawk 45 Colt but only carry it when hogs need to be dispatched. Shot a deer with it once. Made a big hole and I didn't have to track him.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
As you put it, “just for grins” I’ve carried a .30 Carbine NMB a couple times while hiking up in the high country ... tantamount to horse artillery, though a 7-1/2” worked well for Matt Dillon, if I were ever to get serious about carrying a single-action, it would most likely be a 4-5/8 or 5-1/2” model.

I have shot tens of thousands of handloaded (by me) REAL blackpowder Old West chamberings and I would never ever use one for modern self defense unless there were no other choice. What Hollyweird movies don't show is that many people shot in olden days lingered for days before dying of infection. Those big old .44 & .45 bullets didn't usually put people "down" on the spot. Elmer Keith figured out why in his landmark book Sixguns : pointy bullets penetrate incredibly deep, but they don't do that much damage.

Give me a modern 9mm loaded with +p+ JHP's any & every day over Old West mythology.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have shot tens of thousands of handloaded (by me) REAL blackpowder Old West chamberings and I would never ever use one for modern self defense unless there were no other choice. What Hollyweird movies don't show is that many people shot in olden days lingered for days before dying of infection. Those big old .44 & .45 bullets didn't usually put people "down" on the spot. Elmer Keith figured out why in his landmark book Sixguns : pointy bullets penetrate incredibly deep, but they don't do that much damage.

Give me a modern 9mm loaded with +p+ JHP's any & every day over Old West mythology.

No offense, but how many armed confrontations have you been in and how many turned into full blown firefights? Just wondering, my friend.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm too lazy to carry the Ruger .45 SA even in bear country ... Polymers have ruined me. Even 1911 stays home ... This could cost me my man card.

AA

No offense, but how many armed confrontations have you been in and how many turned into full blown firefights? Just wondering, my friend.

I have never shot anyone with a percussion revolver, Colt conversion, Colt SAA, Remington or S&W Model 3 revolvers. I'd wager you haven't either. :hand:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
As you put it, “just for grins” I’ve carried a .30 Carbine NMB a couple times while hiking up in the high country ... tantamount to horse artillery, though a 7-1/2” worked well for Matt Dillon, if I were ever to get serious about carrying a single-action, it would most likely be a 4-5/8 or 5-1/2” model.

Matt did have his moments. Maybe he should have carried a 4 3/4 one though.

This guy's range is about 30-40 minutes from my house. Those people can do amazing things with the old classics. Outta my league though.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Matt did have his moments. Maybe he should have carried a 4 3/4 one though.
😁 I agree ... during Gunsmoke’s 20-year run, Matt was shot fifty-some times ... with one of those 4-3/4s you mentioned, perhaps Dillon could have reduced the number of hits he took by 50%, thus extending the series for another decade or so.

No.

I'm one of those people that wants to stay as inconspicuous as possible. More so when I'm carrying a gun. Unless I'm hunting.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm too lazy to carry the Ruger .45 SA even in bear country ... Polymers have ruined me. Even 1911 stays home ... This could cost me my man card.

AA
Yes, my friend, my wife likes the fact that my pants stay (mostly) up since I went with the LCR....
Not a single, but a double action is my EDC.
Me too. A .357 loaded with .38..... That little gun dances too much with .357. I'd never get a second shot back on target.

Me too. A .357 loaded with .38..... That little gun dances too much with .357. I'd never get a second shot back on target.

Nice. I should have gotten a .357 or a modern .38 so I could use +P ammunition if I wanted to, but my Charter Arms will put all five center mass at 15 yards, and that's all you can really ask for right?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Nice. I should have gotten a .357 or a modern .38 so I could use +P ammunition if I wanted to, but my Charter Arms will put all five center mass at 15 yards, and that's all you can really ask for right?
Yes. That's good shootin'.

Lol, without practicing much I can do that at 15 FEET. If they are at 15 yards I'm as liable to shoot the granny across the street as I am the bad guy!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Long long ago in a land far far away...

well, in the 1960s when I was living in Phoenix and back before they built bridges over most of the seasonal rivers I often carried one of my JP Sauer Hawes import SAA clones when I wandered out in the desert or over towards the Superstitions. My favorite was chambered in 45 Colt but another has two cylinders, 38/357 and 9mm Para. I also have one in 44Mag but always used 44 Special with it. The utter rock solid reliability and long sight radius were comforting.

proxy.php

Long long ago in a land far far away...

well, in the 1960s when I was living in Phoenix and back before they built bridges over most of the seasonal rivers I often carried one of my JP Sauer Hawes import SAA clones when I wandered out in the desert or over towards the Superstitions. My favorite was chambered in 45 Colt but another has two cylinders, 38/357 and 9mm Para. I also have one in 44Mag but always used 44 Special with it. The utter rock solid reliability and long sight radius were comforting.

proxy.php

Those look fun.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
With open carry legal in Texas it would be fun to do. Especially wearing a full quick draw rig. I have neither the rig nor the SA. If you come to Carrollton Mike I will walk in with you. :lol:

Top Bottom