What's new

(Book Publication) Barbershops of America: Then & Now

For my fifty-ninth birthday, I was recently gifted a book from my nephew: Rob Hammer, Barbershops of America: Then & Now (Schiffer Publishing, Atglen [PA], 20200. Suffice it to say that I was really touched by his finding such a book relating to barbering, especially as he is located in France, so I thought I would pass the reference along to anyone here who might be interested as it doesn't seem to have announced before. It's a photographic documentation over a seven-year period (~2010-~2020) showing both older-style American barber shops and newer styles in locations throughout the United States.

Barbershops of America - https://schifferbooks.com/products/barbershops-of-america

Last edited:
Brother Potash,

The topic and the book sound fascinating, but I think before I invest $36 dollars I will search for the book in the public library. If it truly is outstanding I may buy it later. It should be a good read. I love books that have a lot of pictures. Thanx for the tip.

I miss traditional barber shops. The last one in our town closed after Covid. Partly due to that and the age of the remaining proprietor. We still have barber shops around here but they are either a couple of hipster doofus places with a heavy tat culture or a couple of chain haircut places with high staff turnover and, mostly bad haircuts. Cool that the book got published.

Not sure how readily available in bookshops it is, but that would be another way to look at things in advance to see if it appeals to you. My take is that the book emphasizes barbershops as American cultural environments, with barbers and their clients being part of these environments. The photography is fairly formal without being overly stylized and the subjects are treated with respect. As such, it shows traditional, privately-owned barbershops rather than, say, chain barbershops. The barbers and clients as shown range from elderly to young, beginning more with old-timers and ending more with hipsters. I guess that's what the second title, "Then & Now," is about.

Top Bottom