What's new

Bone Handled Ever Ready

I have had this brush for a while and tonight I was going to start restoring it. I know the handle is bone but I twisted on the base and it came loose. The base is threaded into the top. Pretty cool. Anyone know how to clean bone?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I would give it a arm numbing rub of mineral oil then polish it and it should bring it to a beautiful sheen.

Yes the threads are bone. Think a soak in mineral oil would be okay? Polish it with? I use Mothers Plastic Polish on my other handles, would this work?

A good soak would probably be good. Polish, I meant give it a good elbow grease work with the mineral oil to polish and coat at the same time. Maybe others with more professional experience in bone can chime in.

Wow that's awesome. Top right hand corner is it. I would live to buy a dozen of these for $14 today. :thumbup: Thank you for finding that I never would have thought about an old ad.

Yes the threads are bone. Think a soak in mineral oil would be okay? Polish it with? I use Mothers Plastic Polish on my other handles, would this work?

I've soaked bone handled knives in mineral oil - when the bone has slightly shrunk and also as a preventive measure (the shrinking thing). So, using mineral oil is good.

I haven't used "Mother" on bone. For buffing, I use a cotton buffing wheel and jewelers white rouge. Since this compound is used for metal, I assume "Mothers" would work. I would suggest you do a test polish on a small area that isn't seen often. . .like the base.

You can sand the bone just like plastic handles, using progressively finer grits, and the same sanding rules apply. AVOID breathing the dust.

I've soaked bone handled knives in mineral oil - when the bone has slightly shrunk and also as a preventive measure (the shrinking thing). So, using mineral oil is good.

I haven't used "Mother" on bone. For buffing, I use a cotton buffing wheel and jewelers white rouge. Since this compound is used for metal, I assume "Mothers" would work. I would suggest you do a test polish on a small area that isn't seen often. . .like the base.

You can sand the bone just like plastic handles, using progressively finer grits, and the same sanding rules apply. AVOID breathing the dust.

Nice I will try to soak them and wipe them off first then I might try sanding them if they don't come clean.

I googled it, wet sanding is recommended, with very fine grits. It also said that soaking in mineral oil was great for it, to watch it, don't let it dry out. One concern was getting it wet and letting it dry out, causing it to crack. It said to soak it in mineral oil regularly to make sure it couldn't absorb water. It is a beaut, but it will require more regular maintenance it sounds like.
Johnnie

id try a little bleach.try a dad on a qtip and rub the bottom if it works do the whole thing then sand with fie paper.i look fwrd to seeing it restored.

Top Bottom