What's new

Bonavita Drip Coffee Maker

Our 5 year old Krups crapped out a couple of days ago. As this was the second Krups that lasted 5 whole years, I'm beginning to think that Krups has built in obsolescence in their coffee makers. I took the opportunity to run to Williams Sonoma to pick up a Technivorm Moccamaster, but as luck would have it, they were out of stock. That forced me to retreat to the reviews, and decided instead to pick up the Bonavita, which is apparently as good as Technivorm in performance, but is $130 cheaper. I went with the model that has the glass-lined thermal carafe. Tracking says it's out for delivery, so wish me luck.

Im the only one in my house that drinks coffee, but I miss having a good coffeemaker. I just do the pour over method anymore. Im thinking of getting into roasting my own beans though, for the cost saving and to always have fresh roast on hand. I refuse to purchase a roaster though, so im mulling over a few diy ideas to do it.

Im the only one in my house that drinks coffee, but I miss having a good coffeemaker. I just do the pour over method anymore. Im thinking of getting into roasting my own beans though, for the cost saving and to always have fresh roast on hand. I refuse to purchase a roaster though, so im mulling over a few diy ideas to do it.

I've heard that before, I can't seem to recall where though. Check out Sweet Maria's forums. They have lots of idea about hot rod home made roasters.

The Bonavita looks great! If I was in the market for a drip coffee maker it would be between the Bonavita and the Technivorm.

Two+ weeks in, and it's really a night and day experience. He cups are really nice, clean and pure coffee. It has none of the "thick" muddiness that we got from the Krups.

That looks likea gre at home brewer. I've been using a french press for a couple of years but lately I'm not happy with the results. Thinking of going back to a drip of some sort.
Marty

If you're thinking of going back to a drip of some sort I don't think you can go wrong with a Bonavita. It's recommended by the Specialty Coffee Association of America because it is able to brew at 205 F. I think that the only other drip coffee maker recommended by the SCAoA is the Technivorm and it is much more expensive.

Why aren't you happy with the results you're getting from French Press?

Thanks Shawn, I'll probably pick one up next time I'm in the states. I'm getting really inconsistent coffee with the press, often bitter. I buy Mexican Chiapas French roast coffee at Costco, grind it fresh in a bodum bistro, filter my water through a Brita filter and brew the same length of time. Sometimes it is delicious, sometimes awful. Lately, I'm reaching more for the Aeropress.

Marty

I have an Aeropress and it's a good cup of coffee. How long have you had your grinder? It could be that your burrs need to be replaced and that's could be what's causing inconsistent french press.

I've used it daily for a few years. Never thought about the burrs but that makes a lot of sense. How can you tell? Just by looking at the ground coffee or can you see wear in the burrs?

Marty

Not sure you can tell just by inspecting the burrs. I think the main thing is can you detect changes in the grind output, meaning are their more fines in your french press or not? The burrs will wear but that should be a slow process. It could also be the bearings getting more loose and allowing more wobble.

If you are getting bitter cups I would try increasing the grind particle size and/or lowering the water temperature and/or lowering the steep time to reduce the rate of extraction. Part of your displeasure might also be that you are sometimes buying older coffee or the coffee is getting stale in the bag before you can drink it all. Once the coffee starts to go stale some of the more pleasing flavors are lost, leaving behind the most basic coffee tastes which may need more exacting care when brewing.

The burrs look fine and feel very sharp. The coarse grind looks pretty consistent. I opened a new bag of coffee this morning and it was definitely better. Not great, but better. I'll experiment with minor changes in the water temperature and steep times.

Thanks!

Marty

How old are your beans Marty? Are you buying them at a local Costco or picking them up when you're in the States and storing them?

Local Costco and I get the most recently roasted. I go through a 2.2 lb bag in 3 or 4 weeks. When I open a bag, I split it into 2 glass jars with airtight lids. I store them in a dark drawer and only open the second when the first is gone. Is there a better way, or is it just too much to buy at a time? It is really delicious and about $10.50 for a kilo. Even if I through 1/4 or so away, it is still much cheaper than buying smaller quantities.

Thanks,

Marty

I think your beans are fine. You could freeze the other half of your beans, and they would keep a little better in the freezer.

I used to buy beans from my local Costco, it was great I could buy beans the same day they were roasted. A few years ago a new person started roasting the beans and the quality didn't improve, they beans were roasted much darker and the resulting coffee tasted burned and bitter. After trying a bunch of different beans from Artisan roasters I ended up starting to roast my beans at home and my coffee has never been better!

Top Bottom