What's new

Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've been wanting to try these blades for a while and I finally got around to it.

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

No wax on the blade itself, just two small dots on the paper.

I was under the impression, from the name only, that these blades were made in Italy. When I saw they are in fact made in Germany, I have to admit, some of my enthusiasm faded. The German made Wilkinson Sword blades, the only blades available to me at the time in the late 1980's, were the blades that made me change to cartridge razors.

So, on to the shave.

IMG_1630.jpg

Gillette NEW SC - Balzano
Stirling Sunflower Fields
Omega boar

Theres something about this soap that every time I use it it reminds me of leaning into a rifle laid over a hay bale on a hot humid August day in a 100 acre hay field full of woodchucks. Memories.

Anyway, lather up for a full 3 pass shave as I do with most unfamiliar blades. First stroke felt tuggy but not too bad, with a lot of blade feel. I initially thought it harsh but as it turns out not overly. Tuggy first pass however.

Finish the first WTG pass, rinse and feel considerable stubble left. Lather again and shave XTG. The tuggy feeling is mostly gone, but the blade feel is very present. Not rough or harsh really, just very much there. Hard to explain.

Lather and start ATG. Tuggy feeling is gone but the blade feel is even more pronounced. It wasnt really a bad thing, just different from what I've felt with other blades. Rinse and was surprised to feel stubble still along my jawline and the trouble spots on my neck. Paint more lather and attack ATG again and felt slight irritation first stroke along my jaw line. Adjust angle of my stroke slightly to ATG/XTG and finish the clean up pass.

After a rinse I had some very light irritation over the trouble areas on my neck, gone in minutes, but finished with a very fine shave. Very near BBS on all areas.

I'll need to revisit this blade with maybe a different soap. Haslinger has been on my list, this may be a good excuse to order some ha!

All in, a very capable blade with a very pronounced feel to it. Not the sharpest blade around, nor the smoothest but it gave a different and enjoyable quality shave.

My experience with the Bolzano was about 1/8 of a shave.
Fortunately, @Toothpick wasn't too picky about what he puts into the Blade Exchange.
My admiration for making it through an entire shave.

I recently shaved with these for the first time as well and felt they were a bit rough. I definitely think there are better blades out there for the $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
They were better than the Trig I recently used, but not by a lot!

Four hours later and still near BBS like it was when I typed out the review. It wont become a go to blade by any means, but I'll use them again to break up the monotony from time to time.

They were better than the Trig I recently used, but not by a lot!

Four hours later and still near BBS like it was when I typed out the review. It wont become a go to blade by any means, but I'll use them again to break up the monotony from time to time.
Have you tried Silver Star Super Stainless
Yet ? They're Super Sharp however they
Do have a lot of blade feel.
The Price is usually very low.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I dont think I have any of those blades, but I'll try anything once lol.

Seven and a half hours later and my face feels the same as it did 30 minutes after shaving. I cant feel any more stubble now than the little I had left after shaving, so this isnt a bad blade at all. I just wish it was a little more comfortable for me.

So far the longest lasting shaves I've had, have been with Polsilver SI and SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium at 9+ hours BBS and not sure I can ask for more from any blade.

I stumbled across these very early on and have used them ever since. In fact, used one just this morning. One of my favorites.

There are shaving techniques that reduce the "tuggy" feeling -- most important is the maintain the correct angle and keep the edge gently but firmly in contact with the skin. I find quick, very short (1/4") strokes works best. Learned that shaving in the shower without soap using an injector many, many years ago.

You will also find that blade life increases by leap and bounds when you figure this out.....

Bolzano and Silver Star on on the list to try, but at the current usage rate I won't get to them until next year sometime.

Thanks for the review! Very helpful!

I have not tried these. Based on this and other reviews these are not high on my 'to try' list.

Yes, thank you for the review. I have a tuck that's probably next on my "try" list. It would be interesting to see what kind of longevity you experience.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
There are shaving techniques that reduce the "tuggy" feeling -- most important is the maintain the correct angle and keep the edge gently but firmly in contact with the skin. I find quick, very short (1/4") strokes works best. Learned that shaving in the shower without soap using an injector many, many years ago.

You will also find that blade life increases by leap and bounds when you figure this out.....

Bolzano and Silver Star on on the list to try, but at the current usage rate I won't get to them until next year sometime.

I shave quite fast as it is. With this blade after the first stroke I started shaving even faster. One quick swipe from top of cheek to jawline moving across my face to under my nose, then repeating the same quick swipes from jaw line to the base of my neck. If I had to guess, each half of my face took, at most, 30 seconds, with a little added time on my upper lip and chin.

My usual two pass and clean up shave takes maybe 5 minutes total. A bit of tug I can deal with. It was far from painful like the Trig or Treet I've used, but the Bolzano certainly isnt as smooth as a Polsilver, out of the wrapper anyway.

I always use to shave in the shower with my Mach 3. Just by feel and no mirror. I've done the same with my Rocket and I've become so comfortable with the NEW SC that I wouldnt think twice about using it the same way.

Blade life I havent been overly concerned with just yet. I have so many different blade types to try I rarely reuse any and I'm trying to save the Kai for last as I only have one lol.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yes, thank you for the review. I have a tuck that's probably next on my "try" list. It would be interesting to see what kind of longevity you experience.

Since you ask about longevity, I'll stay with this blade until it becomes unbearable. I'll flip it for next shave and continue posting as I go with it. I'll try for at least four shaves so I use each edge twice and go from there.

From the initial feeling of the blade it made me curious if it would smooth out. I have high hopes it will.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I 've read several reviews about these blades and 90% of the people either love them or really, really hate them.

I guess I'm the odd guy out on this too haha. I'm conflicted so far but its only been one shave. I have a feeling this blade will smooth out with use. Many blades I've found, Astra SP being one, feel harsh on first use but smooth out considerably on consecutive shaves.

I'll push this blade and find out, sort of looking forward to it now lol.

I guess I'm the odd guy out on this too haha. I'm conflicted so far but its only been one shave. I have a feeling this blade will smooth out with use. Many blades I've found, Astra SP being one, feel harsh on first use but smooth out considerably on consecutive shaves.

I'll push this blade and find out, sort of looking forward to it now lol.

Yeah, Astra does that. Well, you can be in the 10% and live happily.

So far the longest lasting shaves I've had, have been with Polsilver SI and SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium at 9+ hours BBS and not sure I can ask for more from any blade.
I also use Polsivers SI and Super Max Blue Diamond Titanium as part of my rotation ,
The Blue Diamond Titanium is the real surprise ,given it's price I never would have expected such a high quality blade but indeed it is a Top Shelf blade , and of course Polsivers are one the all-time greatest of blades..but do give Silver Star
A try , no way it'll replace Polsivers or
Blue Diamond Titanium blades , but for a
Little Variety It fills the bill , as long as you
Can tolerate Very Sharp Blades..

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I also use Polsivers SI and Super Max Blue Diamond Titanium as part of my rotation ,
The Blue Diamond Titanium is the real surprise ,given it's price I never would have expected such a high quality blade but indeed it is a Top Shelf blade , and of course Polsivers are one the all-time greatest of blades..but do give Silver Star
A try , no way it'll replace Polsivers or
Blue Diamond Titanium blades , but for a
Little Variety It fills the bill , as long as you
Can tolerate Very Sharp Blades..

I have around around 160 Polsilver left and I'm waiting for 100 Feather to be delivered next week, so sharpness is something I like. Blue Diamond Titanium will be a future order as well.

I'll look into the Silver Star too.

I have around around 160 Polsilver left and I'm waiting for 100 Feather to be delivered next week, so sharpness is something I like. Blue Diamond Titanium will be a future order as well.

I'll look into the Silver Star too.
Kool Beans

Top Bottom