What's new

Boker restoration questions..

Leave it and shave with it. You'll get a nice mirror polish on the spine and edge (from honing) that will look great with that patina

+1 this. Make sure the honer doesn't use tape, and the flat spots on the spine will shine like the edge, contrasting the dark hollows on the spine & the dark hollow of the blade.

If you've magnified the edge of the Clover and you're SURE it doesn't have any cracks, it looks like it'd be easy for a neophyte to hone up on film, and you can send the beauty off to be re-scaled & honed by someone that can be sure the edge is solid.

In my not so humble opinion, you've got a nice razor & an interesting one. I'm definitely jealous of the Boker.

i resently had my griffon 73 polished by vintage straight razor. They did an awsome job the acrilic handles broke when unpinning and they put a nice snake wood handle on it for me all for 20 bucks and thew in a brush for free to boot for the mishap.

Last edited:
The Boker just arrived today from WhippedDog, I'll give it a go tomorrow morning. I tend to make less mistakes shaving in the morning, so that's a better time to try my first REAL (i.e. not a shaper razor) straight shave. I'm making a couple of stops out of some spare veg-tan leather now.

I wish Larry had broken my scales, he probably would have thrown some junkyard ones on there for free that weren't quite as hideous.

Also, since I got the clover I found (and probably overpaid for) a Henckels #50 with a smoked blade in white scales that is currently being worked on by Mike Mason. If It hadn't been a Henckels, I might have stolen the scales for the Boker, but it was, so it gets the restore for now.

I still need to get some film to try and hone the Clover, no more razors until then. Even my DE queue is too full!

$2012-08-13 23.29.39.jpg

I've gotten two two shaves in with the Boker, and predictably I stabbed myself both times. I let the cuts heal and got the Henckels back and shaved my sideburns. Not a great shave, but no irritation and no cuts. Gonna give it another go Friday to allow for maximum healing if I get a cut.

I still kept buying razors, just not straights.

I cant tell but it may be blued like a gun.

Larry's opinion was that it had been smoked and possibly never honed. The boker is patina, it's pretty uneven in person. Any un-eveness on the Henckels is the result of me polishing away rust or Mike Mason shining the tang up from the shoulder back. There was a lot of rust around the pin and I requested he clean it up all the way to there. I like it a lot, it has character, even if part of that is someone else's initials carved in it.

Top Bottom