What's new

Boker Low Profile: who makes it, really?

I heard Boker rebadges DEs made by others. The head on this Low Profile looks similar enough, to me, to that of the Baili 131 / Vie Long 10000R.

The Boker has a slightly longer handle (5 millimeters) and is a little heavier (65 instead of 55 grams), and sells for about 30 Euros, while the Baili is likely half as much.

Any idea?

Bumping for I was thinking of getting the Low Profile to try as a Tech clone, but there's no way I'm shelling out 30 Euros if it's truly a $5 Baili.

The head does look like a Baili 131 but I can't confirm it. Sorry. I will say for around $5 US the Baili 131 shaves well with a sharp blade. I use mine with a repli ball end handle from RE so that turned it into a $25 clone.

Thank you, confirmation from someone who actually held a Baili in their hands is not useless!

In an ideal world, I'd buy both the Baili and the Boker and find out for myself: I could always return the Boker if indeed it turns out they're one and the same.

Sadly, the Baili seems kind of hard to source cheaply, or at all, around these parts.

Sadly, the Baili seems kind of hard to source cheaply, or at all, around these parts.
There are Tech clones on Ali Express; all very cheap. The Boker razor is grossly over priced.
Here is one but the handle is very light: US $2.49 50% OFF|Gillette Super Blue Shaving Razor For Men Knife 1 Holder With 1 Blade Authentic Safety Razors for Men Shaving|Razor| - AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32945824791.html
There are the Baili BT131 on Ali Express too.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Check out the Tech Clone Wars Thread:

Check out the Tech Clone Wars Thread:

I did check that thread some weeks ago, while I was looking for a more affordable alternative to a Feather AS-D2.

The problem I ran into, is that the razors discussed are either from Chinese vendors, or US eBay or stores. I don't want to go down the AliExpress rabbit hole, and EU eBays seem kind of a dead-end, too.

Guess I might be getting the Boker Low Profile from Amazon at some point, and return it if I'm not happy.

By pure chance I stumbled on a Baili, albeit rebranded, sold at an appropriate price.

Although Baili's model numbers are infamously confusing, this is definitely the Victor Safety Razor, the model name printed on the box in spite of the rebranding, and listed on Baili's official site as the BR 171 (Silver, i.e. Chrome Electroplated). The seller also carried the Rose Gold BR173, however at a higher price point which made it a non-starter for the sake of my experiment.

The version I have in my hands, has the updated head that covers the tabs, and came in a plastic black box with a small mirror fitted inside.

This head design is different from that used on the Boker, meaning either the Low Profile is still using the old head, or is a different razor.

The updated Baili head is also 2 to 3 millimeters wider than a tab-exposed design.

The razor shows no obvious manufacturing flaws and looks good out of the box, though I am no great fan of the curved handle design; I'll be keeping my mind open, though, until I do start shaving with it.

As for value, having paid less than 10 Euros for the whole package, there are no complaints on my part, in light of how much more expensive new DE razors usually are.

My Victor weighs 76 grams, in line with Baili's specs, and about 10 grams heavier than the Low Profile. My first impression, however, was that of a lightweight razor, and for a while this had me even doubting the truthfulness of Baili's claims.

However, that's likely a consequence of the Baili having a lighter head and slightly longer (~5 mm) handle, compared to my daily driver, a Merkur Progress, shifting the balance point roughly 10 mm lower down the handle.

I was surprised to find out that a razor known for its mildness, has instead a quite sizable blade gap, comparable to a setting of EIGHT (yup, you read that right) on the Progress.

My interest in the Low Profile was originally sparked by the Feather AS-D2, leading me to consider other, more affordable Tech styled razors, to pair with a Feather Hi-Stainless, a blade I always had a love/hate relationship with.

Although the blade gap is only one of the variables determining a razor's aggressiveness, I might start the Victor on a milder blade, such as the Astra SP, in light of this observation.

Next, the actual test drive.

The Baili's maiden voyage was a head shave. Normally, I would use my old Mach 3 for this task, the swiveling head makes it very quick, especially on the back of my head where the... topology gets complicated.

The Baili did a fairly good job, albeit not as fast as the M3; it seems mild enough that I can throw it around without worrying too much, and the protected tabs help, especially around the ears.

Predictably, the 'micro-comb' can only take so much shaving action before rinsing, which doesn't help with the speed of the shave.

Nevertheless, I was satisfied enough with the Baili's performance that I had to resist the temptation to use it to shave my face, too.

Top Bottom