What's new

Boker ⅜ French Point?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I found this available for sale is Western Australia, new in box Boker ⅜ French point. It looks like that Boker no longer make such a SR. Their current smallest is 4/8.
IMG_20210726_200500.jpg
The vendor is currently asking a bit much for it. I could consider buying it for a lower price.

I have never shaved with such a short (⅜) SR. The smallest in my current collection is ⅝. What are you thoughts on this razor?

Last edited:

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Well ya made that easy! I know as much about straight razors as I do quantum physics so I wouldn't have been any help anyway.

Böker makes a 4/8 Wiener Schaber (Vienna Scraper) that looks similar to the 3/8 you were considering.
The 4/8 size seems to be the smallest straight razor size that Böker currently produces.

I am not so sure regarding the comment about “wear at the toe”.

In any case, 4/8 is the smallest size that I work with and while my two 4/8 razors get the job done, I rather work with 5/8 or slightly bigger sizes that I consider a better compromise between lather carrying capability and manoeuvrability.

1627318214460.jpeg

In all fairness, they may have been meant more for touch-ups than for a complete shave as this is what Böker has to say about them:

The German name Wiener Schaber can be translated with Vienna Scraper. It is a special Straight Razor shape which usually comes as a 4/8" blade and which thrills with its especially elegant and flowing lines. Already in the men's salons of the first half of the 20th century, it was mainly used to touch up contours after the actual shave. The comparatively short blade with French Point is characteristic for it and the cutting edge merges into the tang in a gentle curve, giving the Wiener Schaber its very own appearance. The particularly narrow blade is hollowed and ground to sound in many elaborate steps. Including certificate of authenticity and historical packaging.

In fact, the German word “Schaber” (“scraper”) hints at their use as a tool to do touch-ups after the actual shave.
And if that holds true for the 4/8, it applies even more to the 3/8 sibling.

To give you an idea about price, the Böker 4/8 Wiener Schaber currently retails on the Böker US website for $169.95 and for €104.95 on their German site.

Hope this helps…

B.

(picture courtesy Böker)

Last edited:
There's a Dovo 42 on the 'bay right now that's 3/8 Spanish point. Since it's stainless I assume it's relatively young in razor terms. You'll see some older 3/8 out there but I've never used one. I have a couple blades that started out life as 4/8 that are a little under that now. They are great for cleanup. I suppose if I didn't wear a mustache they'd be useful for that area. But they're not my favorite shavers. I wouldn't want to go smaller.

On the other hand, one really ought to have a representation of all sizes in one's collection, right?

/right?

Top Bottom