What's new

Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Just did a first coat on a rifle stock set with BLO.

I hate and am afraid of the stuff 🧐. Spontaneous combustion is real.

Yet the finish is superlative. I was going to order some Tru-Oil, which I have used safely many times, but saw all it is, is BLO with dryers and hardeners.

Just now I mixed BLO with alcohol as a penetrant. Washed out the can I mixed thoroughly, and buried the q-tips I applied it with.

Set the parts to dry and I swear I could feel them giving off heat. 😒 But they look great!

Any experienced BLO woodworkers? 🤔 Tell me my garage isn't going to burn up now. Please.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Not an experienced BLO woodworker, but I did use some on an unfinished stock for my Garrand. I didn't do multiple coats, I wasn't looking for a high sheen. It does take a while to dry compared to TRu-Oil, IIRC. Didn't burn the place down, wasn't really aware of any potential danger. Ignorance is bliss! Perhaps I should remove the left over BLO out of the utility room away from the hot water heater.

I only use it on natural hardwood Kitchenknife handles like Old Hickory and I literally put them on the stove for a light simmer handle down in a half filled pot. I have never given a thought to the flamepoint of that stuff...

I haven't used it in relation to firearms before but I've often used it to finish speakers I build. Don't wad up any rags or cloths with the oil on them and use it in a well ventilated area. I have never had an issue with the stuff.

I love the finish, it's gorgeous and well worth the effort.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Here's a link for you. Never used the stuff myself, and honestly it sounds like you've got it under pretty good control.

Hm, can use on metal too.

Knew I felt the stock parts giving off heat!

Have it drying slowly in dark garage, not out in the sun. Seemed like a better idea... 🤔 Wood does have a nice golden glow already.

AA

Any experienced BLO woodworkers? 🤔 Tell me my garage isn't going to burn up now. Please.

Based on what you described, you've probably got nothing to worry about. It's when you ball up rags and the heat can build in an insulated space where you really get into trouble. That's my understanding anyway.

Someone please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard of a workpiece catching on fire.

I just leave them outside to dry or toss them in the woodstove, the latter being the foolproof method. 😋

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Not an experienced BLO woodworker, but I did use some on an unfinished stock for my Garrand. I didn't do multiple coats, I wasn't looking for a high sheen. It does take a while to dry compared to TRu-Oil, IIRC. Didn't burn the place down, wasn't really aware of any potential danger. Ignorance is bliss! Perhaps I should remove the left over BLO out of the utility room away from the hot water heater.

My can's sat there safely for 15 years. It's only when you go to use it...

AA

Boiled linseed oil is just like a varnish.
It will not spontaneously combust unless it is balled up and near flammables.
Best thing is to lay out flat away from any combustibles till dry, then discard.
I had a buddy that laid his cloths over a saw horse (wood) and it charred it - scary!
I usually lay it flat on the shop/garage floor till dry. No worries.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks for all the replies! Seems using the stuff is worth the risk.

Don't know if I'll do multi multi coats, but need to figure the next step.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Many coats will leave a nice finish.
BLO really brings out the grain. It is the not the most durable finish but if you like you can top coat it with Varnish or even Polyurethane.
The initial treatment of BLO is always a good idea. :)

Aha! Yes, it was a raw wood laminate stock. Prep sanded with a scotch rite green pad.

Had some spar varnish leftover from a shave bowl, but it solidified. 🤔 There's some paste wax...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I follow an old adage for tool handles that says to apply BLO "once every day for a week, every week for a month and every month for a year." I use my axes/hatchets pretty regularly seems to keep them in great shape.

I saw that. Long ago I did supercoatings of Tru-Oil and it makes a glassy, intense, wonderful final presentation.

AA

I saw that. Long ago I did supercoatings of Tru-Oil and it makes a glassy, intense, wonderful final presentation.

AA

I'm a big fan of Watco Danish oil. It's all I use on the furniture I build these days. It makes refinishing an absolute breeze. I refinish my 25 year old tabletop with a light coat annually just for the pleasure of it.

When it comes to tool handles though, especially axe handles, BLO is the only thing I'll use. I'm from Maine though and we're an odd bunch when it comes to a lot of things... 😋

I like to apply several hand rubbed coats on rifle stocks, waiting 24 hours between coats. Just properly dispose of any rags used.

Before:
20191013_120314.jpg

After:
20200220_134924.jpg

I keep a can of BLO for woodworking projects. I have never had it spontaneously combus, but I take any rags or paper towels out right after I finish with them. It does make the wood look fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom