What's new

Bog Oak

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I remember that some guys were interested in a bog oak handled brush. As it looks I will be getting some nice pieces in early-mid next month. They will be then send out for resin stabilization. There might be wood for some 4-5 brushes. If interested, let me know, first come-first serve.

Rudy Vey

So far, pretty much all the wood is spoken for....
I should get it mid-end next week. Then it will be send out to have it resin stabilized. Should be back a week prior to Christmas.

Rudy Vey

I am still waiting for the wood....contacted the seller yesterday and they say they have shipped it the day after I ordered, but it does not show any moving within USPS. They said they will send new pieces out...I keep you updated on the progress.
If it shows up, then I send it out for resin stabilizing. So right now, I think early next year....

Rudy Vey

So, another update. I made two orders from this company that was selling the bog Oak. Looks like they are a bit of fishy outfit.
I got my second order finally, but not my first. The guy was telling me that USPS has lost the package and he re-send it. But this is also lost, BS I said. The tracking for both these show only that a label was created and the postal service is waiting for the items, so it was never shipped in about 4 weeks.
It took me some two weeks of fighting to get at least my money back for the one order.
Long story short, in the future I only use paypal for such orders, they are much more reactive and active when it comes to a dispute. I got now enough wood for 4 brushes, and they are al already spoken for.
Sending it out on Monday for the stabilization process, guess, it will be mid January when I to get to work on those.

Have a great Christmas all!!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
UPDATE!!!!!!
Received finally after some four weeks the replacement for the lost order!!
Good news, I have now enough wood for quite a few brushes. Also have another delivery coming from Europe, probably mid January.
Sending the wood out next week for stabilization.
Sorry for the long wait.
Glad to hear that things worked out. :)

Rudy Vey

Latest Update:
Just talked to the resin stabilizer. The wood is being processed as I write this. They had been swamped with work and processing the orders as they came in. It will be shipping early next week back to me - I asked not to us postal service, but one of the shipping companies like FEDEX or UPS.
I am truly sorry that this whole process takes so long, but I guess we are living in a different era now compared to a year or so ago.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Latest Update:
Just talked to the resin stabilizer. The wood is being processed as I write this. They had been swamped with work and processing the orders as they came in. It will be shipping early next week back to me - I asked not to us postal service, but one of the shipping companies like FEDEX or UPS.
I am truly sorry that this whole process takes so long, but I guess we are living in a different era now compared to a year or so ago.

No worries, Rudy. Patience is a virtue and your Bog Oak handles are very much worth the wait. :)

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

What does bog oak look like?
Depending on how long it was submerged in the peat bogs, the wood can be darkgrey/olive to pitch black.
The lighter colored wood has mostly been under the surface for some 1000-3000 years. The black ones were 4-6000 years submerged. Years ago when I started to use bog oak in my pens, I had some pieces that came with a radiocarbon dating paper from the Queens University in Belfast; it was from the times of St Patrick. However, these certificates are often falsified...

Here is an example of the Bog Oak I will have next week:
1611919221058.png

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Depending on how long it was submerged in the peat bogs, the wood can be darkgrey/olive to pitch black.
The lighter colored wood has mostly been under the surface for some 1000-3000 years. The black ones were 4-6000 years submerged. Years ago when I started to use bog oak in my pens, I had some pieces that came with a radiocarbon dating paper from the Queens University in Belfast; it was from the times of St Patrick. However, these certificates are often falsified...

View attachment 1215036
Wow, Rudy, that is really interesting. I had no idea what it even was! That's is a very cool origin of the wood. Thank s for filling me in.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 1215036
Beautiful Bog Oak! :love-struck:

Top Bottom