What's new

Boellis Panama 1924 an in depth review & thoughts

Great review, been waiting to read this. Does the EDT smell like any other fragrances in the market? Just trying to get a feel for what it smells like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review, been waiting to read this. Does the EDT smell like any other fragrances in the market? Just trying to get a feel for what it smells like.

None that I have come across I don't think, the apple and lemon really comes through and in a very good way, it doesn't smell fruity. I might be able to make a stretch to Beloved Man from Amouage but I ran out of my sample some time ago and haven't purchased a full bottle yet

Oh BTW dedestroyer, was this the conversation you were referencing starting last week in another thread?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I bought it from Italian Barber. I knew Bullgoose had them a long time ago and checked to see if Phil had them but alas he didn't. I didn't think to check Smallflower or I could have saved a few bucs but, I wouldn't have gotten my sample of the Boellis Daytona EdT that I am really, really digging so it is what it is.

Thanks de, i didn't even think of Smallflower...$95 with free shipping is about the cheapest I've seen it. I love the coffrett but I've had poor luck in the past with traditional Italian almond soaps, but it is tempting!

Thanks de, i didn't even think of Smallflower...$95 with free shipping is about the cheapest I've seen it. I love the coffrett but I've had poor luck in the past with traditional Italian almond soaps, but it is tempting!
I overlook smallflower more than I should their pricing is very competative

Any thoughts on using scent of day to frag a quality unscented soap?

Would it ruin the soap base??
I'm not sure. I have read some guys do it, not many, but I would think the alcohol in the fragrance would ruin the soap unless it was scooped for 1 time use.

I actually had my hangups at 1st but after a few days and keeping the thought in the back of my head "soap smell doesn't last" I got over the fragrance hump easily enough. And not having to worry about a matching soap for some killer aftershaves just made it better. Give Pitralon Polar a shot or the classic (German not Sweedish), 2 great great scents. Vintage Avon Deep Woods, Tai Winds, Wild Country and the insanely elusive American Classic. I can use them all without soap pairing ocd worries:clap:

Only scoop and bowl lather except cella: buy brick and pack crystal jar so load on soap then bowl lather

It smells a lot like Le Male by Gaultier. Panama is less sweet, more mature and all around better IMO.

Boellis is my favorite and I currently have ABC, AdP, Santa Maria Novella,XPec, SV, Several Barrister and Mann Reserves, Groomimg Dept., Wholly Kaw, Nuavia Blue, Barrister and Mann Glissant bases.

While I love all those other soaps I get a slightly better shave from Boellis and like you said if you buy the 250gram brick for $45 you are looking at two 4oz pucks for 22.50 which is in line with high end American Artisan soaps! Still want to try Tallow and Steel.

The slickness and post shave are the standouts!

Last edited:
It smells a lot like Le Male by Gaultier. Panama is less sweet, more mature and all around better IMO.
Theres not much info on the EdT's but I did read something along these lines about the Panama 1924 EdT, that is smells like Le Male but is better behaved, not sure what that means lol. I think the Daytona EdT could draw a comparison to Amouage Beloved Man but I'm not 100% sure on that because I used my sample up some time ago

Thanks. Le Male is a little too sweet for my taste, so Panama might be right up my alley. I am a big fan of Amouage Reflection Man, which I think is a less sweet (and a hell of a lot more refined) version of Le Male. Ever tried that one? I wonder how that compares to Panama?

Thanks. Le Male is a little too sweet for my taste, so Panama might be right up my alley. I am a big fan of Amouage Reflection Man, which I think is a less sweet (and a hell of a lot more refined) version of Le Male. Ever tried that one? I wonder how that compares to Panama?
Amouage is one of my favorite houses. Reflection Man is one that I love sometimes and feel just ok about sometimes, not sure why. My favorites are Jubilation XXV, Epic Man and I deemed Beloved Man bottle worthy just havent bought it yet. Lyric Man was excellent but I have another rose I like just a bit better.

Lyric Man was excellent but I have another rose I like just a bit better.

Lyric is great, but there are a few rose frags I prefer. I put Portrait of a Lady at the top of the list, followed by Lumiere Noir and Ambre Nuit. Sorry to hijack thread!

Lyric is great, but there are a few rose frags I prefer. I put Portrait of a Lady at the top of the list, followed by Lumiere Noir and Ambre Nuit. Sorry to hijack thread!
Lumiere Noire Homme was the one I was referring to, amazing stuff. I knew the banter was going to range all over from this thread but that was the nature of my after thoughts and soap pairings

Well, I'm going to have to give this stuff another try because it wasn't the greatest for me.
I do have to disclaim that I'm new to soaps with HeV Duc de Santal and L&L Harmony being the only other ones that I've tried so far.
The lather seemed to wear thin and just started to dissipate after adding just a couple of a 'tip-dips' of water during my face lather.
Even after loading more soap the glide didn't seem too slick and so I ended up rinsing off and reaching for my trusty Proraso red; which I keep close at hand during my transition/learning period of soaps.

As mentioned before though, I do only have the HeV and L&L to compare with at the moment.....but these two were both fantastic in all aspects and were easy to hit the sweet spot for a good lather.

I'll have to take a page out of the OP's bok and give it a few more tries before making a final decision.

Luckily, mine is just a sample.

Top Bottom