What's new

Boellis Panama 1924 an in depth review & thoughts

Well, I'm going to have to give this stuff another try because it wasn't the greatest for me.
I do have to disclaim that I'm new to soaps with HeV Duc de Santal and L&L Harmony being the only other ones that I've tried so far.
The lather seemed to wear thin and just started to dissipate after adding just a couple of a 'tip-dips' of water during my face lather.
Even after loading more soap the glide didn't seem too slick and so I ended up rinsing off and reaching for my trusty Proraso red; which I keep close at hand during my transition/learning period of soaps.

As mentioned before though, I do only have the HeV and L&L to compare with at the moment.....but these two were both fantastic in all aspects and were easy to hit the sweet spot for a good lather.

I'll have to take a page out of the OP's bok and give it a few more tries before making a final decision.

Luckily, mine is just a sample.
Samples are a bit more finicky to get right quickly especially if a soap is completely new to you. And as I think I mentioned in the review I did find the water range to be fairly wide

Thanks for this great review! I bought the soap and just had to share my first experience with it:) I'm really surprised how good my skin feels after the shave.

I used Floris Elite soap (hard-puck, wooden bowl) before, which is quite expensive. Yesterday I did a 3-pass shave with the Floris soap and my Gillette Flathead with Feather-blade, going against the grain on the last pass, to get my skin used to that for smoother shaves. My skin was again quite irritated though, particularly in the neck. I had Panama soap on my list for quite a while, so I decided to just go and buy it to see if it would make a difference.

I use Panama 1924 aftershave balm and I love that to death; that's how I got to this soap. I did think (and hope) it would have the same smell as the balm, but it does not, not even a little. It is actually unscented, although you do smell the almond oil in it which does not linger after use. I'm glad this incorrect presumption led me to buy this soap though, after my experience this morning...

So today my skin was still quite irritated from the shave with Floris and, on a Sunday, I would otherwise not shave to give my skin a day to heal. But I now had the Panama "burning a whole in my sink":) So I decided on a single-pass, with the grain shave, not to push it. And I'm really blown away... The feeling after the shave is just amazing. It almost feels like the Panama soap "repaired" my skin: It feels so much better than before the shave. It feels noticeably pleasant, soft, flexible and really comfortable without a hint of the previous irritation! And the skin does not feel or look oily at all... it just feels great:)
I completely understand now why Italian Barbers use soaps with almond oil.

Funny, looking back at my pics when I did this of my den vs what it looks like now......But to stay on topic, yes it's awesome soap!

Just stumbled on this review of Boellis Panama. As always, I really enjoy your views @DEdestroyer77. I have been thinking recently that I need to pare my den down to a more manageable level. I noticed that Cella provides really good performance for me, nearly as good as some of my "better" soaps. I've been considering a kilo purchase once I finish off my other soaps, with the thought that I would use Cella every day and pair different high performing aftershaves with it depending on my mood. However, I think I'd prefer doing that with Sudsy Soapery's soap, as that is truly my favorite soap based solely on performance. Maybe their almond and vanilla would be neutral enough?

Just stumbled on this review of Boellis Panama. As always, I really enjoy your views @DEdestroyer77. I have been thinking recently that I need to pare my den down to a more manageable level. I noticed that Cella provides really good performance for me, nearly as good as some of my "better" soaps. I've been considering a kilo purchase once I finish off my other soaps, with the thought that I would use Cella every day and pair different high performing aftershaves with it depending on my mood. However, I think I'd prefer doing that with Sudsy Soapery's soap, as that is truly my favorite soap based solely on performance. Maybe their almond and vanilla would be neutral enough?

I don't find that SS are strongly scented so it's probably not an issue, just grab what you like and it shouldn't be an issue with whatever us put on after.

It took a few shaves, but I think I got this one figured out. Outstanding performance, good residual slickness, definitely tier 1 for me. The smell is really nice too

Top Bottom