What's new

Böker shaving soap: review

This is a review of the Böker Tallowate "Tobacco" Shaving Soap.

I have not been able to find any reviews of this soap anywhere, except one I wrote myself some months ago deep down in a similar thread, where it subsequently received no attention whatsoever:

While this thread suggested broad interest in the soap, no-one ever reacted to my review, which was the first actual review of the soap in this post (and on Badger and Blade). So I here flag the review as a new, slightly modified post.

Let me say by way of introduction, that I only bother doing this, because I think this is really an extraordinary soap -- it is simply excellent, and deserves wider attention!!

The Böker brand is of course known in the first instance for knives, and among shaving geeks for excellent straight razors. By this yardstick the soap has a name to live up to. Having used this soap for some months (and Böker straight razors for some years) I can say that this shaving soap fully delivers what I expected from the Böker brand. But let me be concrete.

We're talkin' a black can of Böker Tallowate shaving soap, "Tobacco" fragrance (is what it says on the can, see photo below), retails at 18 Euro in Europe for a can of 70 g.
First impression was the scent, which I didn't like much. It reminded me of something familiar, at first I couldn't put my finger on what, but eventually it dawned on me: Proraso red shaving cream! Sticking my nose into a tube of Proraso red cream, it still somewhat resembles this Böker "Tobacco" scent, even though Proraso ostensibly has "sandalwood" fragrance. Now that I have gotten more used to the Böker "Tobacco" scent, I like it quite a bit better than the scent of Proraso red cream, but the scent of this Böker soap is not the feature I am most impressed with anyway.

Fragrance aside, This is a very hard puck, looks almost like a slab of marble out of the can. I usually take the puck out of the can, and use it partly as a shave-stick, rub it directly on my face, and partly I hold the puck in my hand while loading my brush before I then face lather (yes, I like using plenty of soap..!). But if I am in a hurry, I can just load a small brush directly in the can the soap comes in for about 30 secs, and I will have sufficiently loaded the brush for a three pass shave.

Either way, what is striking is the quality of the lather I quickly end up with: super thick, creamy and slick lather, that is easy to dilute to the desired consistency depending on what I want, though I like using it thick. It says "beef tallowate" on the can -- whether that explains the magic I don't know, but I have no reservations about recommending this soap. Quality of lather resembles another of my very favourite German soaps (not tallowate), the KLAR Classic. But this Böker soap is possibly even better. Only slight "con", (apart from scent) is price, I find it a little expensive (like the KLAR soap).

Listed ingredients:
Ingredients: Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Sodum Cocoate, Parfum, Glycerin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Potassium Hydroxide, Limonene, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Linalool, Benzyl salicylate, Coumarin, Sodium Hydroxide
Made in The Netherlands

bokersoap.jpg

Interesting - I know of Boker due to my knife channel on YouTube, and was able to visit their booth during SHOT Show in Vegas this past January. I imagine the lack of response is due to A- most people's unfamiliarity with the brand; B- those who are familiar with their knife line and have seen the disparity in quality control between their quality and budget lines of knives (Arbolito)... likely thinking their other products would follow suit; and C- People are just too busy checking out the sea of other soaps that are heavily marketed these days.

That said, I'd be interested in checking out that soap due to name alone. I'd also be interested in finding out who makes it for Boker, as well. Can you DM me a link for it?

Thank you for this review, it seems like a verry good soap. And it's refreshing to read a review of a hard soap instead of artisan mush.

As you already pointed out, this soap is on expensive side. Is it worth this great extra cost compared to one of my staples, Palmolive stick, that I can source locally for 1,5€? I can tell you upfront that as long as I don't find scent of soap offensive, it is not a decisive factor in purchase decision.

[...]
As you already pointed out, this soap is on expensive side. Is it worth this great extra cost compared to one of my staples, Palmolive stick, that I can source locally for 1,5€?

I too like the Palmolive stick very much. I'd say, there is no comparison. If I was all about saving money, I'd stick just with Palmolive or Arko, but I like splurge, that's why I have shelves of different soaps ... not very rational, just pure pleasure. I am not alone in this ... (don't get me wrong, I too enjoy the fact that you get stellar soap for a steel, like Palmolive and Arko, but it's not my only approach to this hobby ...)
So -- whether this soap is "worth it" is in part a matter of broader outlook on the "meaning of shaving". I can say that I have spent an equivalent amount, or even more, on other soaps that performed worse than this one. But this one is really quite brilliant, I could well see myself buying another puck once I have used this one. Twenty bucks every couple of years to have one of these on my shelf is not unreasonable, for a "shaving nurd" that is ... but if all you want is to remove beard on a budget ... this soap is not for you. Hope this is a reasonable answer ... :)

Interesting - I know of Boker due to my knife channel on YouTube, and was able to visit their booth during SHOT Show in Vegas this past January. I imagine the lack of response is due to A- most people's unfamiliarity with the brand; B- those who are familiar with their knife line and have seen the disparity in quality control between their quality and budget lines of knives (Arbolito)... likely thinking their other products would follow suit; and C- People are just too busy checking out the sea of other soaps that are heavily marketed these days.

That said, I'd be interested in checking out that soap due to name alone. I'd also be interested in finding out who makes it for Boker, as well. Can you DM me a link for it?
Were you able to find out who manufactures this shaving soap for Boker? It looks like it is made in the Netherlands.

I've read your review and I've added it to my extensive list of soaps to try.
What concerns me is that the company that supplies the tallow might not exist anymore (like what happened to Fine's hard soap or Tabac).

Judging by the ingredients and country of origin, I suspect the Böker is made by Siderius & Coers BV, which makes Van Der Lovett, and probably Fine's hard soap at one point.

Top Bottom