What's new

Body soap on face interfering with shave?

Over last couple of weeks I’ve started using Savon de Marseille olive oil soap in the shower.

I use it on my face then go for my shave.

I’ve been noticing my shave soaps have been losing their slickness when applied to my skin despite being creamy goodness after my bowl lathering. Today it got so bad the lather kinda disolved /evaporated when applied and by the second pass my skin was actually grippy so my razor was skipping.

All I can think is it’s my soap, as nothing else has changed in my routine.

The ingredients are listed as: Sodium Olivate, Sodium cocoate; aqua (water), Sodium chloride, Sodium hydroxide.

Naturally, I’ll be swapping to something else for my face prep tomorrow (got some cerave cleanser knocking about), but wondered if anyone else had this happen or able to shed any light on it?

I've never had luck with an olive-oil based shave soap, it dissipates too quickly. So I imagine that if you are leaving the Savon de Marseille soap lather on your face before applying the lather, you could be experiencing that as well.

Because of a skin condition, I actually shave with Savon de Marseille/ olive oil soaps 90% of the time. The lather by itself is extremely slick. I can't really figure out how it would make your regular shave soaps less slick. Yes, maybe the olive oil would diminish the shave soap lather a bit but I wouldn't think slickness would be affected.
I would suggest just using it as a face wash and drying your skin thoroughly before re-wetting your face and then applying the shaving soap. You'll still get the benefits of the Savon for your skin and it will hydrate your beard before shaving. Just make sure to rinse it all off first.

Thanks for the replies, both.

I will try cetaphil today and change some of the variables. SDM does make my skin dry so all I can think is it was something to do with that. I’ve been using wool fat soap recently but I did notice the same effect with DRHarris before that, but put it down to the shaving soap as it was a new one for me.

Reactions: nav
Thanks for the replies, both.

I will try cetaphil today and change some of the variables. SDM does make my skin dry so all I can think is it was something to do with that. I’ve been using wool fat soap recently but I did notice the same effect with DRHarris before that, but put it down to the shaving soap as it was a new one for me.
Funny how we're all so different, huh? Savon soap is one of the only bar soaps (other than Dove) that doesn't dry my skin out. I use it for just about everything. I have eczema on my face and it's the greatest thing in the world for keeping that at bay.

I just picked up a pump bottle of Cetaphil Daily Moisture Repair something or other body wash the other day. It was on super clearance. 20 oz bottle for like 4 bucks. Me being me, I had to lather it to see if it would work for shaving at all. It does. It gives more lather than Cremo and is extremely slick. Pretty moisturizing for a body wash. Good ingredients, too. I have never tried Cetaphil before this, so hopefully it will work out for you, also.

Yes, it is a 100% your olive soap, it leaves a greasy residue on your whiskers, that kind of seals the hair and shaving becomes hard. My routine in the last 10-12 years starts with a good degreasing soap bar before the shave. That makes shaving my barbwire much easier. But very few soap bars can do the job. Most body soaps have many oils that will actually make the shave harder. With some it is literally the razor bumping on the skin.

I showered and shaved this morning. I was fastidious to keep the SDM off my face and only used the Cetaphil there.

I was back to a beautiful and very satisfying shave. Particularly pleasing as was with a SLOC my wife bought me for Christmas. Just as close as my aggressive razors.

Thanks gents.

Funny how we're all so different, huh? Savon soap is one of the only bar soaps (other than Dove) that doesn't dry my skin out. I use it for just about everything. I have eczema on my face and it's the greatest thing in the world for keeping that at bay.

I just picked up a pump bottle of Cetaphil Daily Moisture Repair something or other body wash the other day. It was on super clearance. 20 oz bottle for like 4 bucks. Me being me, I had to lather it to see if it would work for shaving at all. It does. It gives more lather than Cremo and is extremely slick. Pretty moisturizing for a body wash. Good ingredients, too. I have never tried Cetaphil before this, so hopefully it will work out for you, also.
I have dry skin naturally so I’m content using SDM and moisturiser afterwards. It leaves my skin feeling much cleaner than the old shower gels I used to use so I’m happy with the slight trade off.

Top Bottom