What's new

Body Soap of the Day

I don't use body soap, I haven't for years. The only soap I use is the odd bit of shave soap that has been retired, when I really need to clean something oily off my hands (and if I don't have that, I use a bar of Mysore Sandalwood soap). Mostly I use body washes like Old Spice High Endurance. I use the 3 in 1 conditioner. The newer body washes are much gentler on the skin than the old stuff they used to try to sell to men one or two decades ago, and way better than a bar of soap.

Dove Pure and Sensitive.

I used to use Dove also. I was raised on Ivory until my dermatologist told my mom to use Dove instead. My skin stopped being itchy and irritated all the time. Back in the day Dove was a revelation.

Ivory was basically cheap soap whose defects were marketed as features, it's purity being deceptive marketting to cover up removing and selling glycerin to cosmetic companies. And it was whipped to weigh less and float. Very clever, something worthy of Don Draper, no doubt.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used to use Dove also. I was raised on Ivory until my dermatologist told my mom to use Dove instead. My skin stopped being itchy and irritated all the time. Back in the day Dove was a revelation.

Ivory was basically cheap soap whose defects were marketed as features, it's purity being deceptive marketing to cover up removing and selling glycerin to cosmetic companies. And it was whipped to weigh less and float. Very clever, something worthy of Don Draper, no doubt.
I have always suffered with itchy skin to some degree. Had tests done when I was a kid and nothing drastic was ever found. Some soaps I seem to be able to use and others not. Some can effect me one shower in. Others seem fine but after a few uses I start getting itchy again. Dove is one of the only ones that I can use without getting itchy. Simple soap was another great soap for me but it stopped selling locally to me.

I have always suffered with itchy skin to some degree. Had tests done when I was a kid and nothing drastic was ever found. Some soaps I seem to be able to use and others not. Some can effect me one shower in. Others seem fine but after a few uses I start getting itchy again. Dove is one of the only ones that I can use without getting itchy. Simple soap was another great soap for me but it stopped selling locally to me.

Maybe hard water is a factor?

I used to occasionally experiment with castille soap when living at my parents house but their water was much harder, and it never rinsed off very well and always felt chalky on my skin (some people associate that dry, tight, chalky feeling with being clean in fact, and as long as they don't have sensitive or dry skin, it doesn't really bother them too much).

Dove, on the other hand, should rinse cleaner because it's always been detergent or surfactant based to produce lather.

Mario Fissi Sea Breeze (again).

For those of you who change it up daily, do you have some way to keep everything from getting waterlogged? I'm very much in the "one bar in soapdish, use until gone" crowd and was just wondering.

Top Bottom