What's new

Body soap for dry skin

Winter in the mid-Atlantic is hard on an old guy’s skin. It gets itchy, tingly (not in a good way), and develops rough patches. Can you recommend a shower soap that will help?

I tried Dr. Bonner and Kirk’s. Both lather well and rinse off clean, but they also aggravate my dry skin. Is it the coconut oil? My wife likes Dove, but I don’t like the greasy residue it leaves behind. At the moment, I’m using the Whole Foods lavender soap, which has shea butter, etc. It’s OK, but still somewhat drying.

Do I just have to wait till Spring?

I use Mitchell’s Wool Fat Bath Bar. It rinsed clean and leaves my skin soft. I then shave and apply Hyaluronic Acid and First Aid Moisturizer to all the exposed skin on my head. The exposed skin grows a little more every day as I lose hair.

I use Mitchell’s Wool Fat Bath Bar. It rinsed clean and leaves my skin soft. I then shave and apply Hyaluronic Acid and First Aid Moisturizer to all the exposed skin on my head. The exposed skin grows a little more every day as I lose hair.

Interesting, Tex Okie. I tried MWF bar soap once, 2-3 years ago. It lathered nicely and worked well on my skin, but it literally smelled like a grilled lamb chop. Nice but not in the shower. I put up a post up on B&B about it, and replies were to the effect of "HUH???" So either I got a bad sample, or my sense of smell is eccentric. So what does WMF bar soap smell like to you? Maybe it's worth another try.

Stirling bath soaps. All natural ingredients and very moisturizing. Some with shea butter are geared towards moisture. Too quality. Plus you can grab some of the best shave soap around while you are there.

You are welcome.

Interesting, Tex Okie. I tried MWF bar soap once, 2-3 years ago. It lathered nicely and worked well on my skin, but it literally smelled like a grilled lamb chop. Nice but not in the shower. I put up a post up on B&B about it, and replies were to the effect of "HUH???" So either I got a bad sample, or my sense of smell is eccentric. So what does WMF bar soap smell like to you? Maybe it's worth another try.
It just smells like soap. I don’t believe that they put any fragrance in it. My wife loves the smell. I don’t particularly care one way or another. My goal when taking a shower is to come out of it clean with no odor at all and no skin issues such as dry skin and breaking out. As far as I can tell MWF does what I want. The only thing I don’t like about it is the price.

In my mid 70s, so I guess I qualify as an old guy. If nothing else is working, try a bar of pine tar soap. It's been my face soap, preshave wash, body and hand soap, and shampoo for years. Start off with Grandpa's, that's the mildest. In winter, I usually switch to Packers, because it works better for my winter dandruff, along with a diluted ACV rinse. Whenever I think my skin needs extra moisturizing, I load the washcloth with my pine tar bar and squirt some Aveeno Skin Relief body wash into the washcloth. For a change of pace body & hand soap, I like Stirling Rosemary Mint.

For relief from itching, I splash on Dickinson's Witch Hazel, which I also use after shaving and before, or in place of, aftershave. I rarely need to resort to cortisone to quell a skin itch.

In my mid 70s, so I guess I qualify as an old guy. If nothing else is working, try a bar of pine tar soap. It's been my face soap, preshave wash, body and hand soap, and shampoo for years. Start off with Grandpa's, that's the mildest. In winter, I usually switch to Packers, because it works better for my winter dandruff, along with a diluted ACV rinse. Whenever I think my skin needs extra moisturizing, I load the washcloth with my pine tar bar and squirt some Aveeno Skin Relief body wash into the washcloth. For a change of pace body & hand soap, I like Stirling Rosemary Mint.

For relief from itching, I splash on Dickinson's Witch Hazel, which I also use after shaving and before, or in place of, aftershave. I rarely need to resort to cortisone to quell a skin itch.

I’m also mid-70s, but with not enough hair on my head to have dandruff. I’ll look for the Grandpa’s soap. I’m a grandpa—so it should work.

As for Stirling, their mutton tallow shaving soap performs top-tier. So it would be worthwhile to try their bar soap.

Top Bottom