What's new

Body Shop Maca Root Review & Other Ramblings

I have about an even number of soaps and creams but am finding lately that I might like creams a bit better. Possibly because they are a bit quicker to lather and possibly because I can finish a cream faster than a soap and it allows me to buy more stuff. Not that I am going to stop using my Stirling, Proraso or RazoRock soaps but they may take a back seat to the creams I have.

Anyway, I bought a tub of Maca Root since it has gotten decent reviews and the price seemed right. I usually change soap/cream every day but decided to use Maca Root for a few consecutive days. My thoughts:

Lathering - Excellent, each day I have been using less cream and it still whips up a thick lather with alot left over in the brush after I finish the shave. I face lather and it lathers up as good as any other cream I have tried. I recently bought a Stirling Tuxedo synthetic brush and find that lathering creams is easier with this brush over my usual Proraso/Omega boar brush.

Scent - When I first opened the tin, the scent did not impress me and I was a bit disappointed. Scent is important to me, it is what sets products apart in many cases, since most of the products I have tried work well. However, I find that I enjoy the scent, it is subtle but definitely there. Not one of my favorite scents, but enjoyable none the less.

Cushion/Slickness - It is fine, maybe a small step down from some (Castle Forbes, Proraso Blue), but still excellent.

Post Shave - The first day I shaved with this, the post shave face feel did not impress me. However, I guess I got it dialed in now and the post shave face feel is excellent, on par with my favorites.

Summary - Definitely a keeper and will be in my regular rotation.

After using an AS splash (Aqua Velva Ice Sport), I decided to try the Body Shop Arbor AS Balm i bought along with the shaving cream. Also very nice and I will be buying this again.

Sorry so long.....

I was in our local shopping mall one day a few weeks ago, and stopped in The Body Shop store to take a look at their Maca Root shave cream. I've read a lot of really nice reviews about this product, and wanted to give it a try. The clerk was quite friendly, and after explaining the company's environmentally friendly policies, gave me a small plastic container of the cream as a free sample. I enjoyed my first shave with it, using my Semogue 610 to whip up a rich creamy lather (face lathering) ---- thick, cushiony, smooth glide ---- all around, a fantastic three pass BBS shave with my Merkur 39C - Israeli Red Personna. After this sublime shave, I sat down at the computer and got on the Body Shop website to read more about the Maca Root, and saw that the price for the 6.3 oz. tub has dropped from $ 16 down to $ 9.60, with free shipping ! I placed the order and it arrived a few days ago ---- it's definitely a great product.

Just as a comparison, my favorite creams are currently Proraso (red & blue), TOBS (Eton College & Avocado), and Trumper's Limes. I also enjoy RazoRock soft soaps (XXX, Tuscan Oud, Lavender, & Emperor) and Stirling Barbershop soap. I'm now looking forward to having Maca Root take a regular place in my rotation.
Happy shaving Gents !, and to all of you, my best wishes for a happy healthy holiday season !

I recently got the maca root cream and brush set from TBS. I haven't used the brush yet but the cream is awesome! Great slickness and cushion. Right up there with the rest of the best. Today I put together a beginner PIF for my co-worker and I threw that in so looks like another tub is in my future!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm near the end of my squeeze tube of Maca Root, which was the first cream I bought when I got into DE shaving. Yes, the scent is nothing to write home about, but it lathers easily and works really well for me. If I ever stock up on it again, I'd probably opt for the jar. Getting the last out of the tube is on the challenging side...

Solid cream. I love the scent, and the performance is great. Excellent cushion and slickness, definitely deserves it's reputation.

Just used Maca root 10 minutes ago. Excellent stuff and smells really good. I hit the last sale at The Body Shop just right and think it worked out to around 6.50 per tub. Can’t beat that.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Thanks to all these great reviews, I picked up a $6 tub and am absolutely delighted. Outstanding stuff, indeed! There's almost no fragrance in the tub, but when it gets wet and blooms, it's just wonderful--and it's ice-on-ice slick to shave with.

Will definitely buy Maca Root Cream. Had it some years before and always it dried out easily because I didn't knew that I had to add water in it! It was my very first cream and I think I will try it again.

10 euros per 200ml in discount I'm in Greece.

Strange story. I've been interested in this cream based upon the many reviews from B&B members. So I find myself exploring The Body Shop website. Can't argue with the price but I didn't go much beyond that as something else got my attention before consummating the transaction. So tonight I'm in the mall and find myself in The Body Shop. I ask about the tub of cream, get to smell it, underwhelmed, but given I have SCAD I say I want to buy it. She says that will be $16. I say but your website has it for half that amount. She says she can't honor the online price in the stores. So i walkout without buying it. I come home and immediately go online, add the tub to my shopping cart and then go to check out. And NO SHIPPING COSTS. So, I can have the 6 oz. tub of cream for $8.50 without having to leave the comfort of my house yet I have to pay $!6 for the privilege of walking into one of their stores. I don't get the rationale behind that policy. The only thing I can come up with is the individual stores cost more so the chain ups the cost of the goods sold out of the stores. Yet I can go into Home Depot and pay the same price that I would pay online. It just seems weird to me. Anyone else feel the same way?

I have it. I like it. I have been using it for the past two months and I have great success with lots of lather, great cushion and slickness. I have many others but this will probably end up being my main go-to especially when I can get them on sale.

MntnMan I had a similar experience. Bought the cream online for around $8. When I decided to buy another one, along with another AS balm, rather than order it online and wait for delivery, I walked to a Body Shop store near where I work in Manhattan. The price in the store for the products was $16 for the cream and $14 for the balm. When I mentioned this to the young lady who was helping me, she looked at me like I was crazy. So I left the store without purchasing anything.

I have not seen this with any other vendor. Also, some vendors allow you to order it online and pick it up in the store. I wonder if the Body Shop ever allows you to do that, which price it would want to charge you?

Here in Greece this thing does not happen. 13,50 Euro in the stores, 13,50 on the e-eshop.

BUT the ladies who work in these Body Shops don't know how to promote this cream. If you ask them they say "It's very good for your skin", end of story.

Here in Greece this thing does not happen. 13,50 Euro in the stores, 13,50 on the e-eshop.

BUT the ladies who work in these Body Shops don't know how to promote this cream. If you ask them they say "It's very good for your skin", end of story.

I actually have not come across another retailer here in the states that does this. Oh well. It's not worth the time to stress over one vendor and since I can get their product at a rock bottom price, nothing to be gained anyway. It's more a curiosity than anything.

I moved years ago (mid 90's?), long before my foray into DE-->SE shaving from canned goo to the Body Shop Shave Cream (pre-maca root), and used it even without a brush...never looked back to the canned stuff; continued to use it after I converted to traditional wet-shaving, but have not purchased in some time, probably worth re-visiting.

my only complaints:
-I actually liked the original scent and product in general (the consistency changed slightly with the Maca version)
-the "tube" packaging (not the tub), when they changed from old to new, makes it impossible to get the last bits out
-the original used to last me almost 6 months, because I could squeeze out the last bits and the amount I needed was so minute to get an awesome close shave.

Top Bottom