What's new

Body chemistry and scent?

I have been fooling around with new scents for a few months now and have been struck with how different a scent can be when worn-vs-in the bottle.

This weekend I was playing around with Tea for Two. After a few moments the most dominant note was a warm tobacco scent- like a fine English pipe tobacco slightly fermented-not the tea or vanilla or honey that most reviews of this scent experience.

I have read that if you have dryish skin this affects the longevity and silage also.

Just throwing this out for more perspective......

You really have to wear a scent to get a sense of it. In the bottle, what you smell is highly tinged with alcohol. On the skin, it blends with your chemistry into something that can be quite different.

Tea for Two is a great scent - very complex and evocative.

Yes body chemistry does affect the scent. While I like the smell of Old Spice on other people, it develops a very sour odor on me. It just doesn't react well to my body chemistry.

Same thing happened to me with Blenheim Bouquet. I sniffed it in the tester vial and it smelled ok. Put it on my skin, and I couldn't stand it...had to wash it off right away. lol

Same thing happened to me with the Hammam...I have tried it multiple times without success...does not work on me at all.

I've heard a lot about "body chemistry" but what is it exactly? Is it a body odor that reacts in different ways to applied scents or is it skin PH or what exactly is it?

kozulich said:
I've heard a lot about "body chemistry" but what is it exactly? Is it a body odor that reacts in different ways to applied scents or is it skin PH or what exactly is it?

It is the generic term to describe why Blenheim Bouquet smells like rank Pine Sol on me when the guy next to me has it smell like Nectar of the Gods on him. Or something like that. :biggrin:

Dennis

Mike02 said:
It is the generic term to describe why Blenheim Bouquet smells like rank Pine Sol on me when the guy next to me has it smell like Nectar of the Gods on him. Or something like that. :biggrin:

Dennis
That much, I figured out on my own:smile: It all seems a bit mytho-magical though. I mean, if I just stepped out of the shower, I should be like a clean slate, shouldn't I? Maybe a bit of soap residue.... But wouldn't it at least take a while for your own "chemistry" to reach the point where it could interact with the cologne. For me, it seems like I can't keep a cologne on for more than a couple or 3 hours tops before it completely fades away anyway. I don't feel like my chemistry even has a chance to react with the cologne before its gone. Maybe I'm unique in that regard:confused1

Mike02 said:

Dennis

Yea, what he said! Smelled like stale Pine Sol on me lol.:001_tt2:

With regard to scents and body chemistry this is primarily your skin oils. No two people's skin oils are exactly the same. Everything from genetics to diet affects your body chemistry.

Even right out of a shower your skin is still producing oils and toweling off will actually stimulate this process. Your skin is always producing oils.

The ingredients in colognes, perfumes, and aftershaves are specifically designed to interact with these skin oils to produce an individual scent that varies from person to person.

Since we are on this subject I have a question. I have a female friend and she has commented that every perfume she tries ends up smelling fruity after about ten minutes. I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations on some female scents that might not produce this effect.

MasonM said:
Yes body chemistry does affect the scent. While I like the smell of Old Spice on other people, it develops a very sour odor on me. It just doesn't react well to my body chemistry.

Mason, too funny. I have the same problem with Yardley of London. Back in 78 or so when I first started shaving, Dad gave me a bottle of this Yardley aftershave stuff(don't know whether it was the north am. version or the genuine Limey stuff)because he said; "it makes me smell like a skunk." Well, what do you know, it did the SAME thing to me. It got chucked in the rubbish bin poste haste. I don't know if it was bad or not but it smelled bad on us.LOL Indeed, as you've discovered, some compounds just don't like certain people's hides.

Regards, Todd

MasonM said:
With regard to scents and body chemistry this is primarily your skin oils. No two people's skin oils are exactly the same. Everything from genetics to diet affects your body chemistry.

Even right out of a shower your skin is still producing oils and toweling off will actually stimulate this process. Your skin is always producing oils.

The ingredients in colognes, perfumes, and aftershaves are specifically designed to interact with these skin oils to produce an individual scent that varies from person to person.
Makes a certain amount of sense I guess, but in my personal case, my body oils must be deoderant, 'cause like I said, colognes just don't stick with me.

Top Bottom