What's new

Body Chemistry and Fragrance

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Interesting article on the interaction between body chemistry and fragrances:

From the article:

"According to the study, people tend to prefer fragrances that -- for whatever reason -- combine with their body chemistry in a way that complements their major histocompatibility complex (MHC). Your MHC involves the genes that make up your immunogenetic profile. People (and other animals) generally pick mates with dissimilar MHCs to give their potential offspring a more genetically diverse -- and thus strong -- immune system."

Interesting to think that our preference in fragrances subconsciously connects to some very basic survival instincts. ;)

Helps explain why we all prefer different scents. :)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Interesting article on the interaction between body chemistry and fragrances:

From the article:

"According to the study, people tend to prefer fragrances that -- for whatever reason -- combine with their body chemistry in a way that complements their major histocompatibility complex (MHC). Your MHC involves the genes that make up your immunogenetic profile. People (and other animals) generally pick mates with dissimilar MHCs to give their potential offspring a more genetically diverse -- and thus strong -- immune system."

Interesting to think that our preference in fragrances subconsciously connects to some very basic survival instincts. ;)

Helps explain why we all prefer different scents. :)
That is what accounts for my using the same cologne for 48 years.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I used only Original Stetson for over 30 years.

Then I found B&B. ;)
Once you find the scent that works for your particular body chemistry, it is difficult to change as it would be difficult to find one that works as well. I’ve tried several because they smelled so good on others but always went right back to Givenche Gentleman - that’s what smells like me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Once you find the scent that works for your particular body chemistry, it is difficult to change as it would be difficult to find one that works as well. I’ve tried several because they smelled so good on others but always went right back to Givenche Gentleman - that’s what smells like me.

I still wear Original Stetson on our Date Nights. :)

There are several other scents that my Bride now likes on me - just not as much as Original Stetson. ;)

This article is a good read.

I've seemed to be drawn to more fresh flowery scents over the years, SWMBO likes the vetiver and spice smells on me. One that smells like the cat has soiled me is grapefruit. Absolutely awful in any form. It just doesn't smell bad on me but also projects its awfulness 10 fold.

The article doesn't discuss fragrance longevity, but I'm convinced that has to be affected by body chemistry too.

Several fragrances, including a homemade AS blend popular on this site, that are said to last a long time don't for me, and vice versa.

C

I cannot find a good citation to a discussion by him, but, as I recall, Luca Turin for a very long time contended that individual body chemistry had essentially no effect on how a scent smells on one. That is, that scents smell very much the same on each individual and it is only individuals' perceptions that vary person to person. I think in recent years he has moved off the strict opinion to some extent, but still asserts that any individual body chemistry effects on what a scent smells like have been greatly overrated. I do not know what he would say about longevity.

I have no idea, to tell the truth. But I like most well-regarded scents except most gourmonds, and I do not think it is because gourmonds smell differently on me than on other folks.

FWIW

Top Bottom