What's new

Body bar for acne prone skin?

Can anyone recommend a body bar that works well for acne prone skin? I have tried a few different types with minimal results. A couple that I have tried are Cetaphil (antibacterial) and Level (activated charcoal). Any advice on this matter woul be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about your face also or just your body?

For my face I use a Cetaphil bar in the shower, but I found the less I wash / touch my face the better off I am. Doing less has done more for me then any prescription or over the counter products have used in the past. I am also sure age has helped some, but I still find to many products on my face just makes things worse.

My body is the opposite of my face though and does require something more. This sounded weird to me the first time I read it, but have you tried Head & Shoulders shampoo as a body soap? I came across the suggest in this thread "Head & Shoulders Shampoo works for Bacne" and found it works better than any bar soap I have tried in the past. I just apply some of the shampoo to one of those shower poufs and use it like any other body wash. I cannot say it is a cure, but it is the best thing I have found since I stopped taking low dosages of Acutane many years ago.

DuDu Osun is good for acne.

+1

I think the African Black soaps work well although I find you need to use them awhile. If you want to speed things up I think Panoxyl on your chest, shoulders and back is stronger so you can use that for a few days and then switch. CVS has a generic version of Panoxyl which is less pricey.

I use Stirling Soaps Tea Tree bar soap. It doesn't eliminate body acne, but sure has helped it. And it leaves my skin feeling nice, not dry like every store bought soap does...Even dove.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I tried every product around marketed toward clearing up acne and could never get the breakouts on my chest and back to stop. I basically gave up for a while. Then after spending some time here and learning more about shaving soaps I decided to switch to more natural soaps as well in the shower. Dr. Bronner's, as well as a few other Castile soaps like PdP, actually ended up helping a lot. Better than any other cleanser on the market. I'd say to try just using real soap with no crappy additives. Also consider a shower water filter like a Sprite. Mine helped me with some scalp issues and may have also helped with the acne, although I can't say for sure on that one. But the filter does remove chlorine which can irritate skin as well as sediment that can block pores and cause pimples, and it is only about a 20 dollar a year investment. I am glad I got one.

Paul Mitchell also puts out a tea tree body bar. I have no idea how it works for acne, since I don't have that issue, but it might be worth a shot. It's also a nice, refreshing soap for general use. Beware that Amazon sellers usually jack up the price. The best prices I have found have been at local salons that carry them in store. Trade Secret near me currently sells it at for $7.50 for a 5.3 ounce bar.

Can anyone recommend a body bar that works well for acne prone skin? I have tried a few different types with minimal results. A couple that I have tried are Cetaphil (antibacterial) and Level (activated charcoal). Any advice on this matter woul be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've read several places that anti-dandruff shampoo does WONDERS for bacne.

I don't know if it was this sight, but a while back someone said some very nice things about Grandpa's Thylox Acne Treatment Soap with Sulfur. I think you are supposed to leave it on for a minute or so before rinsing. As with anything applied to acne prone skin be gentle, no harsh scrubbing.

I was recommended pine tar soap. I've been using it a few days and have seen noticeable improvement. I purchased mine on Etsy from a home artisan but I've heard good things about Grandpa's Pine Tar.

I’ve found that if I don’t wash my face at least twice a day, it’ll get oily and may start to break out the following morning. Since I started using QED’s ‘Black Magic’ face soap, I’ve noticed quite a difference. My combination skin is less oily & is a lot clearer. It actually *Feels* a lot better, too! I have also found myself washing my face during the day if my face starts to feel greasy. Here is the description of ‘Black Magic’ soap on the qedusa.com website:

“Activated charcoal - known as “Black Magic” - is a natural miracle. It attracts other substances to its surface and holds them there by adsorption. It bonds thousands of times its own weight in gases, heavy metals, poisons, and other chemicals rendering them harmless. Used in soap, this is a detox powerhouse! It deeply cleanses and clears your skin. Unclogging pores, removing impurities and dead skin cells from the skin’s top layer, the results are supple and smooth skin. A moisturizing soothing base of coconut, palm, castor, wheat germ, avocado, and jojoba oils, along with cocoa and shea butters are combined with lavender, tea tree and bergamot for an amazing blend of essential oils known to be beneficial for skin conditions. It is that extra special bar. Not only is this soap perfect for acne prone skin and other skin problems, it is wonderful for any skin type. Not drying, just soothing. So, this isn't your common charcoal soap. Black Magic facial soap in an uncommonly good soap that can be used as body soap too. The manly-sized handmade bar measures approximately 3½” x 2½” x 1¼” and weighs between 5 and 5.5 ounces.”

I also mask once a week with French Green Clay, from QED. Yes, I’m self-assured enough to say that.
Check out: Do real men mask?

Rico

For those with constant acne problems, I would suggest trying Baking Soda paste. Don't mean to side-track the thread away from Body bar discussion but this has been working great for me so thought might help some.

I had constant acne issues and in my search to find some non-medicinal/harmless cure, I came across many places online about how Baking Soda helps in drying out acne and keeping face clear. I didn't buy into it until I tried it. Not I am a believer. There are a couple of ways to use this:
1. Apply a paste of baking soda and water as a scrub
2. Apply a thinner solution of baking soda and water BUT do not scrub

You have to find which method works better for you and how often you want to use. Since too frequent scrubbing can irritate the skin. After trial and error I have settled on this routine: apply a watery solution to face every evening. I keep it on for about 10 or so minutes. It will dry on your face and at that point you can wash it off. Your face will feel so smooth afterwards. I then finish with a diluted solution of Apple Cider Vinegar, that is kept on (not washed off). My face both feels and looks great. I a happy camper.

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Salicylic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide both never really helped me. The latter simply dries me out but pimples persist. The more natural stuff out there has always helped. Glycerin soap with Aloe Vera and Apricot Exfoliators.

my wife suffers from acne. one thing that has helped her a lot is the c.o. bigelow lemon body wash cream. its a "soap free" formula. its very gentle and this allows her to take it with her and wash as many times a day really as she wants without drying her way to much. it came highly recc by a derm when we asked about a less expensive face wash because most are not covered by insurance and cost a small fortune. i do not have acne issues myself but i have used it a few times on my face and it really is great and cleans very well. they sell it at local bath and body works. to tell you how much she likes it she now has i think about 24+ stocked up in case they stop making it (which they removed it for a while from the web site so she stocked up)

she has tried really everything else that she could find including black soaps and all the "acne" stuff like proactive they did nothing. salicylic does nothing at all for her and benz peroxide only sometimes helps as a spot treatment. otherwise does nothing. she started bactrim and it was amazing cleared her up in like 4 days but after about 2 weeks she started to become allergic to it. the sulfer caused a BAD rash. now we have her on minocycline starting tomm which is a generic of a VERY expensive brand name ab normally used for acne called Solodyn. i have a very close friend who is a derm we are also working with.

Last edited:
my wife suffers from acne. one thing that has helped her a lot is the c.o. bigelow lemon body wash cream. its a "soap free" formula. its very gentle and this allows her to take it with her and wash as many times a day really as she wants without drying her way to much. it came highly recc by a derm when we asked about a less expensive face wash because most are not covered by insurance and cost a small fortune. i do not have acne issues myself but i have used it a few times on my face and it really is great and cleans very well. they sell it at local bath and body works. to tell you how much she likes it she now has i think about 24+ stocked up in case they stop making it (which they removed it for a while from the web site so she stocked up)

she has tried really everything else that she could find including black soaps and all the "acne" stuff like proactive they did nothing. salicylic does nothing at all for her and benz peroxide only sometimes helps as a spot treatment. otherwise does nothing. she started bactrim and it was amazing cleared her up in like 4 days but after about 2 weeks she started to become allergic to it. the sulfer caused a BAD rash. now we have her on minocycline starting tomm which is a generic of a VERY expensive brand name ab normally used for acne called Solodyn. i have a very close friend who is a derm we are also working with.

May I suggest for her to give Baking Soda a try. You will be able to find a lot of information about it online. I like to visit earthclinic.com as there are a ton of testimonials for natural and/or simple solutions to various health ailments and conditions.

I’ve found that if I don’t wash my face at least twice a day, it’ll get oily and may start to break out the following morning. Since I started using QED’s ‘Black Magic’ face soap, I’ve noticed quite a difference. My combination skin is less oily & is a lot clearer. It actually *Feels* a lot better, too! I have also found myself washing my face during the day if my face starts to feel greasy. Here is the description of ‘Black Magic’ soap on the qedusa.com website:

“Activated charcoal - known as “Black Magic” - is a natural miracle. It attracts other substances to its surface and holds them there by adsorption. It bonds thousands of times its own weight in gases, heavy metals, poisons, and other chemicals rendering them harmless. Used in soap, this is a detox powerhouse! It deeply cleanses and clears your skin. Unclogging pores, removing impurities and dead skin cells from the skin’s top layer, the results are supple and smooth skin. A moisturizing soothing base of coconut, palm, castor, wheat germ, avocado, and jojoba oils, along with cocoa and shea butters are combined with lavender, tea tree and bergamot for an amazing blend of essential oils known to be beneficial for skin conditions. It is that extra special bar. Not only is this soap perfect for acne prone skin and other skin problems, it is wonderful for any skin type. Not drying, just soothing. So, this isn't your common charcoal soap. Black Magic facial soap in an uncommonly good soap that can be used as body soap too. The manly-sized handmade bar measures approximately 3½” x 2½” x 1¼” and weighs between 5 and 5.5 ounces.”

I also mask once a week with French Green Clay, from QED. Yes, I’m self-assured enough to say that.
Check out: Do real men mask?

Rico

Thanks for the info. I just got three of the bars from QED. Hopefully, I'll see some results.

I'm in no way discounting some of the solutions above, but I believe there are only 3 over the counter ingredients FDA approved to fight Acne.
1. Benzoyl peroxide
2. Salicylic acid
3. Sulfur
All the rest is speculation. Again, I'm not above using supplements and other non-FDA approved remedies (I do for plenty of things). But if your looking for an Acne wash, consider one or more of these tested ingredients. If these don't work, you can try other things. Of the three, nos. 1 and 3 are most effective in washes, because Benzoyl Peroxide kills bacteria and not enough will stay on your body to work. I use a salicylic acid wash as part of my regime (along with BP lotion and retin-A every few days). I find the generics work as well as the fancy stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom