What's new

Bocote "Eaglet"

A lousy picture, but it should be a very nice little brush, sporting a Maggard 20mm 2-band knot set at 47mm loft.
barring unusual circumstances, this will get it's first use tomorrow morning :D

P9170004sm.JPG

I bought four more bocote turning blanks (4 to 6 handles per stick), so there should be more to come!

Now I need a bit more Argentine lignum vitae, my other favorite wood for turning handles.

Used it this morning with AoS Bergamot Neroli cream; it's a winner! a fantastic compact face lathering brush, and the 20mm knot isn't as much of a lather hog as the 22mm Maggard I have in a repurposed RR Keyhole handle (also a great brush!).

I have a 20mm Maggard SHD fan that I want to turn an Emperor replica handle for, that ought to look pretty sweet in Bocote!

Gorgeous turning! The Eagle is a great profile. Dropping it to eaglet proportions is, to me, ideal.

And bocote? (Or any wood with dramatic grain.) Never ersatz. That is the word for imitation ivory.

I'll credit Simpson for their wonderful collection of brush profiles, and their high quality knots, but I rate your turnings much higher. Thanks for posting them.

Gorgeous turning! The Eagle is a great profile. Dropping it to eaglet proportions is, to me, ideal.

And bocote? (Or any wood with dramatic grain.) Never ersatz. That is the word for imitation ivory.

I'll credit Simpson for their wonderful collection of brush profiles, and their high quality knots, but I rate your turnings much higher. Thanks for posting them.

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm still a novice turner and need to work on my technique quite a bit before I can take credit for having "skills".

That said, I *have* made a number of very decent handles and I feel like it won't take too much more practice to up my consistency to "solid" levels... until then, I'm going to have fun learning and making more handles than I know what to do with, maybe there will be some handle PIFs in the future?

I bet I'm more novice than you are! I don't have a wood shop, so I'm limited to fair weather turning in my driveway. I just got my first few commercial blanks this week. I was ordering knots and saw Shave Forge had added blanks to their offerings.

So far, I turn blanks I cut myself from downed trees and chunks I'm given by friends and family. Nothing that approaches that bocote. But free blanks allow me freedom to experiment without regrets.

Too many handles - that is a real problem. I have extra fun by turning inkwell razor stands. The profiles don't have to be grippable, so imagination can run wild.

I bet I'm more novice than you are! I don't have a wood shop, so I'm limited to fair weather turning in my driveway. I just got my first few commercial blanks this week. I was ordering knots and saw Shave Forge had added blanks to their offerings.

So far, I turn blanks I cut myself from downed trees and chunks I'm given by friends and family. Nothing that approaches that bocote. But free blanks allow me freedom to experiment without regrets.

Too many handles - that is a real problem. I have extra fun by turning inkwell razor stands. The profiles don't have to be grippable, so imagination can run wild.

🤣 I turned that handle this evening in the driveway, with a floor lamp for illumination since the sun was going down and there isn't any light in the garage!

I need to get some cheap/expendable wood for practice... and a band saw, so that I can make blanks from scrap wood.

The great thing about bocote (aside from being hard and waxy) is that compared to many other exotic woods that are suited to use in brush handles, it's not terribly expensive. I like Argentine lignum vitae for the same reasons.

The Eaglet got used again this morning, it lathered Phoenix & Beau Albion like a champ. It's turning out to be a great little face lathering brush (as expected) and the grip is super comfortable and secure.

Top Bottom