What's new

Boars, forever smelly.

Sprinkle it liberally with baking soda. Put it in direct sunlight all day to dry.

Someone said not to use baking soda but borax.. I can’t get borax here tho..

When dry, my porcine brushes are fine.. when damp .. there is some smell.. nothing unbearable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Haven't read through every post in this thread ... so this may have already been addressed.

If in 7-8 months of use, the stink hasn't abated (even disappeared), then I would ask if you are drying your brush _completely_ between uses.

I own _many_ boar brushes and I have found that I have to let them dry completely between uses when new. If they stay even a little damp till I use them again, the stink takes very long to dissipate.

I'm also in the process of trying to eliminate the stink from two new badger brushes. I haven't found the magic trick yet. It seems like it will be time.

FWIW I bought a Windsor boar brush for $12.95AUD (~$9.00USD). You can find them online at shaveshop or ebay.
Not only did it not smell, but it had a rather strong perfume scent right out of the box. It wasn't a personal favorite but it was rather nice and was replaced by that of my shave soap within a couple of shaves. It had a very short break in period and within two or three shaves the bristles were very soft against my face. It shed a little at first but that has slowed down and it loses hairs only very rarely (a couple per month). Definitely worth checking out, and it's not one that I have found on these forums.

I've never had any problems with boar smell and I have 5 omega currently. I've also been using them since august.

I think this whole boar stink issue is blown out of proportion.

Every animal hair brush I've ever had smelled, badger smells the least with the more expensive badger only smelling a few shaves while the cheapest boar smelling the longest. Still, yours is way past the point where it should smell. My thought is that either it's the smell was so repulsive to you that your brain will continue to smell it even after it is gone or possibly you have exceptional smell. Regardless of why, you should grab yourself a synthetic brush. I have a Fine chubby and Razorock plissoft and they're both extremely soft with enough backbone. They never smell, are easier to clean, don't have to be soaked before use, and are almost as cheap as boar. I always leave one in my rotation.

I just got a new Omega 10049 this week. There was a little bit of a smell on the first lather, totally gone now.

Sorry you’re having such issues, this is my fourth boar, and I’ve never had a problem like that.

I have the legendary stinky Vander Hagen badger brush. The only process that would reduce the stink is letting it sit in the sun light after washing with dawn. The ozone in the environment is what you want.

Put down the vinegar.

Get some Borax. Dissolve a small handful of Borax in warm water. Soak the brush in the Borax solution. Let dry naturally.

"Filthy Animal" pet shampoo by Kelco. I have it for my dog originally but its made for animal hair worked fine on my boar brushes. Wash the brush a few times with it...soak the clean brush in some water with a few drops diluted overnight. Then do the shaving soap/cream lathering and leave in over night to dry out. Rinse out the dried lather well with warm water and just to be safe soak over night again then let it dry out really well for a few days. If that doesn't work I'd probably just throw the brush away because its possessed.

Filthy animal is a 50:1 ultra high concentrate shampoo that does not contain soap or detergent. Since filthy animal is safe to use on flea & tick bites it is a must for summer season! Filthy animal is made with natural oils, herbs and extracts. Filthy animal also gets rid of bad body odor and cleans all dirt and filth off the skin and coat without drying the skin or coat. Filthy animal gets skunk, tar, sap, and food stains out of the coat and is safe for dogs, cats, horses, puppies, kittens, ferrets & farm animals.

I have an old Surrey boar brush that I bought in the Fort Hood PX in 1988 (only brush they had) and I decided to use it again for the sake of nostalgia.

The first bit of nostalgia I got after wetting the brush was a distinct whiff of hog. I wasn't expecting that from a 30 year old brush at all.

I googled instructions on getting rid of the animal smell and tried several.

Soaked overnight in a Dawn dishwashing liquid solution.
Washed thoroughly in pet shampoo.
Washed in apple cider vinegar.

After each washing I let it dry completely and I still had a faint boar smell so I lathered it up heavily with shaving soap and let it sit for 24 hours, I did this 3 times.

Finally! The animal smell is completely gone and the brush just smells faintly of the Barbershop scented soap I used last. I don't know if all the de-scenting methods I used combined to take the stank out of it or if I could have moved directly to the soap lather soak. If I come across another smelly brush I'm going to just try the lather soak(s) first.

Top Bottom