What's new

Boars, forever smelly.

Maybe they used Javelina instead of boar and they punctured the scent gland. Nastiest critters I ever smelled in my life.

I found this thread trying to find out what to do about my new Semogue brush. Then I encountered this thread and post.
Smelliest beast I’ve encountered.
C0F218C3-D6D4-4522-A6FC-D09547E41697.jpeg

I don’t want to burn this brush because burning Javelina is bad...

So sad...so hopeful...

I have 2 ever-ready nos brushes. One lost the smell quick and another hasn't after a dozen lathers. I'll even lather the brush when i have spare time to try and defunk it. Might try some of ya'lls recommendations.

This is strange to me. I'm all boar all the time. I usually alternate between an Omega 10049 and 10098, but I also have a B&B Essential Boar and a Semogue 2000. I've never experienced any funk with any of these brushes, not even on Day One. :confused2

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is strange to me. I'm all boar all the time. I usually alternate between an Omega 10049 and 10098, but I also have a B&B Essential Boar and a Semogue 2000. I've never experienced any funk with any of these brushes, not even on Day One. :confused2

+1 on no funk ever. YMMV.

I think the problem is the brushes are not really drying completely. If they were weighed dry before being used at all it could be demonstrated they had not dried. Boar takes longer to dry.

Have at least two boars and store then in a dry room. Towel dry them a little, too, after rinsing and shaking the water out.

I always shampoo mine before using them, and let them dry. No small at all.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My first brush was an Omega 10066 boar brush. It had an odor when I got it: noticeably "animal" but not off puttingly strong. I washed it in dish soap, and did the lather and leave overnight thing, and that sorted it in one go.

I ended up retiring it in favor of a RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft synthetic a year later, though not because of any smell. I wanted to eliminate the soaking step before shaving, and I'd found I didn't like the handle shape of the 10066.

I did have a misadventure with a Crown King shavette with camel bone handle scales though. That thing smelled horrifying. Like a dung heap at the zoo. Quite literally, not figuratively. And getting it wet made it so much worse. I ended up taking the handle off and throwing it away. You could not ever get me to believe that something that smelled like that was sanitary, and even if it was, the stench was so foul that it would've ruined the shaving experience anyway.

I've owned only boar brushes (Omega 10083 & VdH). They both had a mild skunky scent to them when first used. However after a few uses (3-4) the scent disappeared. I use the Omega 10083 exclusively and it retains the scent of the last soap I used.

I have 3 boar brushes. A Schone, an Omega Pro 10049 and Omega 10066. All three smelled a bit when I wet them for the first time. I lathered them up in TOBS Sandalwood, let it sit a short bit and rinsed it out and let it dry. They all still smelled a little for the first and second shaves but nothing that overpowered the scent of my cream. By the third shave they all smelled clean. I will say though that if I get another boar or badger brush I’ll wash it in Dawn dishwashing liquid soap and let it soak for a while before rinsing and allowing to dry. Anything that still smells after 5 to 10 shaves would end up in my waste basket.

I've got an omega 10066 and a semogue 830, I've had them for 7-8 months now, and the stink that everyone told me would go away still lingers. I rinse them very well after use, I've soaked them in white vinegar a couple times, I've also used dawn dish soap, nothing will get rid of this stink

I had the same problem.
My 2013 Omega 10065 had no smell, out of the box,
but last year I bought a 10218 & a Gio.
Both had such a bad funk that I could not bring them to my nose.
And this was after two months of daily treatments of leave-overnight-shampoo, barbicide & citric soaks, vinegar, soap washes, detergents etc etc.
I posted my problem on B&B. None of the suggestions worked.
Then someone suggested that perhaps they were not drying out enough.
Two days in a dry room made the smell tolerable.
Some more days got rid of all the smell.

Top Bottom