What's new

Boars Don't Last?

Compared to badgers how well do boars last?

• Boars don't last.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Boars and badgers last an equally long time.

Votes: 25 41.0%
  • Boars last just as long if allowed to dry between uses.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (explained in the thread)

Votes: 15 24.6%

• Total voters
The poster Buzz at SMF has a Plisson with three decades daily use. I'm sure you'll never find such a long living boar.
I can't understand your last statement. Are you calling people who have multi-decade boars liars?

FWIW, my father-in-law has used the same no-name boar daily since the mid 1960s. Definitely balding, but still usable.

I also have a 1980s Mondial boar that I got from my brother's father-in-law. He died about 10 years ago and according to my sis-in-law, shaved daily and only had two brushes, so the boar wasn't used daily. It hasn't lost a hair. I have his other brush, a 1980s Mondial badger, and the boar has more handle paint wear.

My only brush is in my signature. I'll use it until it not longer functions appropriately, then buy another for $10. To me it's a long wear item. It's not like a vintage razor or solid brass tool.

I can't understand your last statement. Are you calling people who have multi-decade boars liars?

FWIW, my father-in-law has used the same no-name boar daily since the mid 1960s. Definitely balding, but still usable.

I also have a 1980s Mondial boar that I got from my brother's father-in-law. He died about 10 years ago and according to my sis-in-law, shaved daily and only had two brushes, so the boar wasn't used daily. It hasn't lost a hair. I have his other brush, a 1980s Mondial badger, and the boar has more handle paint wear.
It's fairly well accepted that boar brushes don't have the longevity of badger brushes, all else being equal. 'Balding, but still usable'... A lot of us consider such a brush no longer usable.

It's fairly well accepted that boar brushes don't have the longevity of badger brushes, all else being equal. 'Balding, but still usable'... A lot of us consider such a brush no longer usable.

That's impressive for 5 decades of DAILY use. If it's still lathering well, then it's still usable, regardless of whether it's in optimal condition or not. Not arguing that badger brushes don't last longer, just saying it's impressive all things considered.

I always imagined people got boars or badgers badgers based on two criteria, feel and price, not longevity.

That's impressive for 5 decades of DAILY use. If it's still lathering well, then it's still usable, regardless of whether it's in optimal condition or not. Not arguing that badger brushes don't last longer, just saying it's impressive all things considered.

I always imagined people got boars or badgers badgers based on two criteria, feel and price, not longevity.
That is true. I buy boars because they feel nice broken in and are cheap. As for longevity, I'll have to see in couple years but so far, they're working well. Most of boars do shed a couple hair each shave though. Nothing major.

My first boar (drugstore item with a dyed band) lasted from the early 70s until the early 90s when my wife bought me a Plisson badger. And a pewter shaving mug. And a brush stand. Luxury!

The boar wasn’t broken, it just got shamed out of the coffee mug it had been living in for two decades. The knot had developed a distinct curve and came to a point, but the brush lathered my pucks of Williams Mug perfectly well and it had never lost any bristles to speak of. I am ashamed that I tossed it out.

So if a mistreated boar goes 2 decades plus, my babied rotation of low end Omega, Semogue, Zenith and home built boars will last longer than I will. My first boar after I went BAD: Omega 10066 - possibly the only boar a shaver will ever need.

P.s. both my two vintage boars (a Whiting-Adams and an EverReady) have most of their original knots and lather just fine. Neither has as much backbone or scrub-nitude as a newly purchased boar. They are kind of like badgers that way.

Last edited:
My first boar (drugstore item with a dyed band) lasted from the early 70s until the early 90s when my wife bought me a Plisson badger. And a pewter shaving mug. And a brush stand. Luxury!

The boar wasn’t broken, it just got shamed out of the coffee mug it had been living in for two decades. The knot had developed a distinct curve and came to a point, but the brush lathered my pucks of Williams Mug perfectly well and it had never lost any of bristles to speak of. I am ashamed that I tossed it out.

So if a mistreated boar goes 2 decades plus, my babied rotation of low end Omega, Semogue, Zenith and home built boars will last longer than I will. My first boar after I went BAD: Omega 10066 - possibly the only boar a shaver will ever need.

P.s. both my two vintage boars (a Whiting-Adams and an EverReady) have most of their original knots and lather just fine. Neither has as much backbone or scrub-nitude as a newly purchased boar. They are kind of like badgers that way.
I used my 10066 today and I forgot how amazing it was. I really enjoy the feel of the Pura Setola boar and it even looks nice in contrast to the ivory handle. It's my first boar and I will be enjoying it more for the future shaves. Hopefully it lasts for a long time as well.

While the silver spoon crowd may not want to use a brush that doesn't look perfect, the normal working man has no issues as long as it dies the job - which it does. A 90 year old Italian doesn't throw anything away that works.

From my point of view, I have no issues using such a brush either. The paint is almost completely worn off too. Just like my vintage razors with patina and battle scars, some of us prefer the survivor look.

Back in my parents' generation, it was still 2 criteria, but slightly different than yours. The criteria for them was (1) lowest price and (2) available and in stock at the local pharmacy. The same two criteria applied to razors, lather, and blades.

While the silver spoon crowd may not want to use a brush that doesn't look perfect, the normal working man has no issues as long as it dies the job - which it does. A 90 year old Italian doesn't throw anything away that works.

From my point of view, I have no issues using such a brush either. The paint is almost completely worn off too. Just like my vintage razors with patina and battle scars, some of us prefer the survivor look.

I learned how to start the breaking in process for a 'barbers' boar, from an old Italian man on youtube. Guy said there's nothing better than a boar brush. I'm not saying that statement is fact (it's subjective), but give me a good b
Back in my parents' generation, it was still 2 criteria, but slightly different than yours. The criteria for them was (1) lowest price and (2) available and in stock at the local pharmacy. The same two criteria applied to razors, lather, and blades.

Ah yes, that's true. When I first started shaving around 9 years ago (I barely even had whiskers then), I couldn't find anything locally. To be fair, I was very uninformed on the subject and didn't know that Nivea shave cream (in a tube) was available then (not anymore here). I hadn't seen a brush in person until i ordered my first brush (a turkish horse hair brush) online, which came with a free stick of Arko. That was my introduction into wet shaving. A used gillette super speed, 100 pack of derby blades (which I now don't like), arko shave stick, and a turkish horsehair brush. The entire setup couldn't have cost me more than $20 in total. I thought I was shaving with a 'luxury' product when I upgraded to a semogue brush that cost me $11 shipped lol.

I learned how to start the breaking in process for a 'barbers' boar, from an old Italian man on youtube. Guy said there's nothing better than a boar brush. I'm not saying that statement is fact (it's subjective), but give me a good b
I don't know if it's brainwashing, genetics, or just plain preference, but I'm Italian and having tried multiple badgers, horses and synthetics, *nothing* beats the face feel of a well broken in boar. Zenith, Omega or Semogue doesn't matter - they're all great.

Back in my parents' generation, it was still 2 criteria, but slightly different than yours. The criteria for them was (1) lowest price and (2) available and in stock at the local pharmacy.

That was me, teenaged in the early 70s. Cheapest (maybe only?) brush at the local Walgreen’s or Rexall. And my first puck of Williams Mug. I guarantee you the total was less than 4 bucks, possibly less than $3. Coffee mug was ‘free’. Much cheaper than aerosol cream.

I refuse to answer on the grounds that someone might take me seriously.

Besides, when you've been 39 years old as many years as I have, the issue becomes moot. I prefer badgers but enjoy boars too, and I take reasonable care of them all.

It's the exception that proves the rule though. There are countless reports of boars only lasting a couple of years and hardly any of them lasting decades. Unless they have some catastroohic shedding, badgers do generally last many many years.

You're totally barking up the wrong tree, this has nothing to do with silver spoons or snobbishnes. Boars are liked well enough. I own more of them that I do badger or synths. I like them. Many of us do. No need to pretend they have longevity that they don't. Boars wear out quicker.

You're totally barking up the wrong tree, this has nothing to do with silver spoons or snobbishnes.
My point about the silver spoon was only regarding the part of your post that I quoted - where you insinuated that a boar that has lost some of it's bristles over the years is good for the garbage. It's still perfectly usable.
No need to pretend they have longevity that they don't. Boars wear out quicker.
40+ years on the two boars I referred to pretty much defines longevity for me. As for them wearing out faster than badgers, we'll just agree to disagree.

I have way more problems with my nice badgers shedding than my boar brushes. Boars, which I love as much as badgers, are so much more affordable for a great brush even from the best traditional boar brush makers. That is a big advantage to me. I can see why barbershops use boar. How much can the longevity really differ? Replacing boars more often would still be affordable, or even using until half bald seems to be fine for those who don’t mind. It all works out in the end or the market forces would have gotten rid of them over the decades.

I do agree that sticking with the traditional boar brush manufacturers that produce very affordable boar brushes is key. They are the true experts. Why pay more?

+1 to all said by Brian (@Bhugo) in the post above!

I have owned no-name boars for 30 years and lately 2 Semogues and a brand new Omega. I have really liked them all, perfect for hard soaps.

On the best badger side I started with 2 Edwin Jaggers which were very floppy indeed. Then I upgraded to best badger Simpsons and have owned 3. They are lovely but do shed a hair or two every so often.

My personal experience based on this small sample is that boars last at least as long as badgers, maybe even longer.

So far I have been using quite a few different brushes, I used my Art of Shaving Pure Badger for about 5-6 years daily. The reason I even have a boar is because it started to shed a little bit, more than one or two hairs a shave. To have a back up I thought it prudent to start breaking in new brushes. This led to my BAD. Now I have a boar, a horse hair, two badgers, and 7 synthetics. Boar recently has been getting the love with a Synthetic I like. The badger has been sitting for over 3 months. Might be time to give it a try, that or some of the 5 unused synthetics I have sitting around.

Top Bottom