What's new

Boars Don't Last?

Compared to badgers how well do boars last?

• Boars don't last.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Boars and badgers last an equally long time.

Votes: 25 41.0%
  • Boars last just as long if allowed to dry between uses.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (explained in the thread)

Votes: 15 24.6%

• Total voters
So far all my boars have survived so I'll have to ask this question lather down the road. As for shedding most of them shed one or couple hairs per shave so it's not a big problem. Perhaps using one continuously will break them down but I like to rotate between my brushes. I think my boars will last a long time.. at least I hope so.

It's my understanding that a well-made boar brush that's properly maintained may be expected to last a decade of regular use.
However, a similarly well-made badger brush should last 20 years, so a badger brush should out-last a boar brush by a factor of 2-to-1.
I know of no difference to lifespan whether the boar brush be bleached, banded, or natural.
Similarly, the grade of badger-hair is not indicated to make any appreciable difference.
Naturally, no one can gauge the lifespan of poorly made or ill-treated brushes of any type, other than that their lifespans be shortened thereby.
These are not personal opinions, nor based on personal experience, but purported industry standards of which I have read in my wanderings through shaving's arcane repositories of obscure knowledge.
That said, I never place complete trust or faith in anything I've read, and you shouldn't either.
Why, I've had a badger brush in regular use for over 25 years that still looks nearly as good as new!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's my understanding that a well-made boar brush that's properly maintained may be expected to last a decade of regular use.
However, a similarly well-made badger brush should last 20 years, so a badger brush should out-last a boar brush by a factor of 2-to-1.
I know of no difference to lifespan whether the boar brush be bleached, banded, or natural.
Similarly, the grade of badger-hair is not indicated to make any appreciable difference.
Naturally, no one can gauge the lifespan of poorly made or ill-treated brushes of any type, other than that their lifespans be shortened thereby.
These are not personal opinions, nor based on personal experience, but purported industry standards of which I have read in my wanderings through shaving's arcane repositories of obscure knowledge.
That said, I never place complete trust or faith in anything I've read, and you shouldn't either.
Why, I've had a badger brush in regular use for over 25 years that still looks nearly as good as new!

Thanks. I'd like to see the stuff you read but I'm not saying you should have it at hand.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've never had a boar fall apart like that or shed heavily, but I have had a couple Semogues that just became overly floppy and not really as enjoyable/functional to use.

My three Omega boars are 8 years old and in perfect shape; I use each for weeks or months at a time and let them dry between my daily shaves. I expect them to keep going for years to come and at less than $10 apiece they are quite a bargain.

Upfront disclosure is that after joining this forum here I have a modest rotation of brushes but in a sense of commitment I have used boar brush for the longest time. Say give and take 1-2 year, for nearly 25 years and ventured for a first badger only after I joined here.

The boars I had were just some unbranded ones I bought locally without any reference to knot size. They stank to high heavens but in due time they settled for the business and gave me good service. In my experience you can ruin a boar (or even a badger I suppose) if you ill treat it, mash it down to the knot. I have also not taken any boar to face without hydrating it. All bristles are not equal but in my experience the stiffest boar bristle will be shave ready in maximum 3 minutes even if you soak it in cold water.
Using 2 boar brushes between full drying cycles, I have not across any boar which has not lasted 7-8 year for me. At the price point they are, they have lasted reasonably well for me. So yes boars do last.
I retire a boar when it starts to shed more than couple bristles on every shave. Using it anymore I will be shaving with a really thinned brush in couple of months.

I've never had a boar fall apart like that or shed heavily, but I have had a couple Semogues that just became overly floppy and not really as enjoyable/functional to use.
I've 'worn out' a couple of semogues. I'd say they last 2-3 years of daily use before they flop out. Boar hair absorbs water, badger and synthetic bristles repel it. A boar brush has a limited cycle of uses, but given their price they're still excellent value. But it does make those near $100 LE boars eye wateringly expensive. The poster Buzz at SMF has a Plisson with three decades daily use. I'm sure you'll never find such a long living boar. It seems possible for a synth though, especially if it's decently built.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have an Omega boar brush I used daily for about 10 years and is no worse for the wear - perhaps 1/8” shorter but otherwise perfect and actually improved.

I've 'worn out' a couple of semogues. I'd say they last 2-3 years of daily use before they flop out. Boar hair absorbs water, badger and synthetic bristles repel it. A boar brush has a limited cycle of uses, but given their price they're still excellent value. But it does make those near $100 LE boars eye wateringly expensive. The poster Buzz at SMF has a Plisson with three decades daily use. I'm sure you'll never find such a long living boar. It seems possible for a synth though, especially if it's decently built.

I have a great deal of experience with synth brushes. Synths seem to last longer than boars, but they still can wear out. The plastics can fatigue and fibers can tangle or break.

If you soap lather, plan on your brushes not lasting as long. Soap lathering is hard on the brush. If you press down in lathering instead of using the tips, the brush also won't last as long. However, sometimes pressing down a little is unavoidable or necessary to make a decent lather, so YMMV.

I think that's why I like Omega brushes, they are inexpensive, you can buy them cheap, and if they wear out, it's no big loss.

My Omega seems to lose a bristle every 3 or 4 shaves. When it loses enough, I guess I'm out the ten bucks. Maybe I'll have to pass on a new shave soap and settle for one of the 30+ in my closet.

Because I rotate my boar brushes so much my input is not so valuable. The one I believe I have used the most is my Semogue LE. It has not shed any hairs so far in fact I don't recall any of my boar brushes shedding hairs more than 1 or 2 maybe.
The one I use the most, my favorite, is the Semogue LE.

View attachment 1027902

That is a fantastic brush. Hands down, my favorite boar brush also.

As long as cared for well boars last a long time. However as inexpensive as MOST are I don’t really worry about it.

Give me an excellent badger brush for under $10 and then we can start talking. I bought an Omega Proraso for under $10 at Burlington Coat. Got the Omega pro 48/49 for around the same price online. Whether they fall apart or not, I think it's unfair to compare a $10 brush to an ~$40+ brush (unless we are talking about yaqi brushes) in terms of longevity. I get the discussion and analytical point of the post, so I'm not criticizing it, simply stating my $00.02 about the value of a good boar hair brush. For my use and at that price point, they last MORE than enough.

My oldest badger brush is 36 years old and was one of three brushes for over 25 years. My oldest boar brush is only 7 years old. The badger brush, a Hoffritz, is in excellent shape and has never shed a hair. I don't know how long my boar brushes will last but they seem to be in fine condition. However, I have always taken good care of my brushes.

I've had my boars for around a year or so but I don't use one daily. They go in between my rotation of badgers and synthetics so I'm guessing they'll last for a lot longer. I'll be back to this post when it's been 10 years or so with my boars, haha.

What If boars last longer than badgers *dramatic music*

Funny :). I have an Omega Pro 49 boar from 2011 and it’s going strong - a beautiful well-aged brush (naturally I’d not confuse it for a badger but it’s an excellent performer)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom