What's new

Board sanding day

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
This cutting board has been the main work surface in my kitchen since I acquired it. It was a Badger and blade group buy made by a member here who at the time was nameless . . . so I'll leave it nameless.

I think I've only sanded this down three times. This time it had some dings in it that were mysterious. My wife uses a powered wheel chair and did knock it off the counter a couple of times . . . hence the sanded down corner.

The mystery man who created the boards shipped them with some boiled walnut oil. Which I'm still using every now and then.

This is very hard end grain wood. Maybe . . . three times sanded down I've maybe taken 1/8" off the thing. It was a very nice group buy.

Some love given (1 of 3).jpg
Some love given (2 of 3).jpg
Some love given (3 of 3).jpg

Nice board. Although wood cutting boards have been questioned recently, I still like them better than glass or plastic. They have awesome character.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Very nice Mike. What's the dimensions?

19 1/2" x 12 1/4" and 2 inches thick. On runners that raise it 1" off the counter.

I appreciate a large board as you can prep and move things aside rather than use bowls off the board when doing your mise en place. I'm not a big mise en place follower. Mostly I can cut things quickly enough to go right to pan but onions, mushrooms, etc. take a fair bit of space.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The member here who built them did a fantastic job. Making these must have stressed his planing machine. End grain boards are the way to go. Oak is sensitive to metal. A few years back I set a beer cap down on the board and danged if there was not a dark ring left after. Did the same with some steel skewers. I'm pretty careful.

I still use a wood cutting board to slice and chop fruit and vegetables. It treats knives much better than other materials. You have a beauty, Mike.

19 1/2" x 12 1/4" and 2 inches thick. On runners that raise it 1" off the counter.

I appreciate a large board as you can prep and move things aside rather than use bowls off the board when doing your mise en place. I'm not a big mise en place follower. Mostly I can cut things quickly enough to go right to pan but onions, mushrooms, etc. take a fair bit of space.

Paper coffee filters make nice prep bowls.

Mike, what was your tool of choice to sand it back down.

The mystery crafter may have used a good sized drum sander to level, finish the boards.

dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've got an odd sized (small 2.5" x 14") Porter Cable belt sander I'd never recommend to anybody as it is hard to find the sanding belts. That being said I did 50, 80, 120 with it and then 220 with a palm sander.

I have read that wood cutting boards have natural hygenic properties, and that the reasoning that plastic boards are easier to keep germ-free is not accurate. I like wood myself, but use boards of all sorts of compositions. I like those thin plastic ones one can put over other surfaces and easily swap out and throw in a dishwasher.

I am not much for mise in place myself, and probably use a board much as Mike does. Nice board!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The mystery crafter may have used a good sized drum sander to level, finish the boards.

Drum sanders make short work of the hardest woods.

I have read that wood cutting boards have natural hygenic properties, and that the reasoning that plastic boards are easier to keep germ-free is not accurate.

Its good to wipe a wood board off with diluted bleach. Especially after having chicken on them. Wood is porous.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am still trying to convince the wife to let me break ours out (I was in the same group buy). We have a smaller kitchen, and she wants it remodeled before she uses it. I know better than to fight that battle with the wife :) The board is absolutely beautiful. Even though I don't use it (yet), I do keep it oiled so it will be ready.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
PS- do you remember what year this group buy took place? I know @Jim announced it. I need to start working on the wife some more. It is a shame not to be using this thing.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
2012. It took quite an extended time for delivery for some folk but surely it was all done by 2013.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I remember that group buy and had just refinished my endgrain board so I passed. Those are great looking boards.

Never used bleach on mine in 40 yrs. of cutting everything on it. Nobody ever got sick either. A little hot water and Dawn dishwashing soap with one of those plastic scouring pads or a piece of stainless steel wool is all that I've ever used to clean it.

Top Bottom