What's new

Board gaming

Loved playing Clue, Monopoly, and others as a child. Parents gave me Avalon Hill's Gettysburg when I was in the 5th grade which led me to getting into Kingmaker, Wooden Ships & Iron Men, Fuedel and Starship Troopers. I played A LOT of D & D, Boot Hill, Gamma World, Champions, Car Wars, Morrow Project, and a little Top Secret in junior high and high school. When I was in college some learned more about Rail Baron, Status Pro Football & Baseball, Paydirt, and the airplane version of Rail Baron I think is called Air Baron. As they came out we got into Talisman, which I got plus all the expansion sets but one, Chainsaw Warrior, and my personal favorite Blood Bowl.
One year we took a train to Chicago to watch the home opener for the Cubs. We played Rail Baron all the way there and back on the train. While I was travelling Europe one summer for work my mom decided to have a garage sale and sold most of my Avlon Hill games. After I got home she informed me that she had sold the games as a bundle for the grand total of $20. I showed her what they could have went for on eBay and the look on her face was priceless.
After I got married I decided to sell what I could on eBay to help with the down payment on a house. Imagine my surprise when my Talisman game and all the expansion sets I had sold for almost $1000 to some guy in France.

The family and I sat down with Wingspan over the weekend. Due to time, we only played 2 of 4 rounds. Used the "quick start" sheets to get going. Everyone seems to be enjoying it, but I will admit it's a little tougher for the kids to pick up than I anticipated. Looking forward to everyone getting more used to it though. Early reviews are they're having a blast!

My oldest's birthday was this weekend. She's an aspiring author, and I found the game Gutenberg, so of course it became a gift. We gave it a first run through yesterday, and it was a lot of fun!

The game is based on the early printing press. It includes several unique characters who were in some way instrumental to the printed word - each of which gives you a unique ability to use during the game. You then secretly assign initiative cubes to different portions of the game board, allowing you to either ensure choosing first from that area or skipping it entirely. You can collect orders, colored ink, skill upgrades, machine upgrades (using gears that mesh and turn on the player tableau), and fulfill patronage requirements. Points are then tallied to define a winner.

The "bidding" mechanic is one that we haven't had in our collection, and took a bit to figure out. Looking forward to the next playthrough.

We gained several new games over the holidays.

Pusheen the Cat - Purrfect Pick. I had low expectations on this one, but it's actually pretty fun. Like a more kid friendly version of Century. At least that's my take.
Azul - Another pretty fun game, as likely evident by the many variants now available. We got the original. Simple game play. Good for families.
Formula D - This was for me, as I'm a big open wheel racing fan. Surprisingly, it may have been the favorite of all of them.
Tetris - Yes, this is based on the video game. It's pretty fun, but the video game is a better way to play this one.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
If dominoes counts, yes. It's a cultural thing with us.

AA

Sounds like my wife's family in KY. Dominoes is their game. I'm from NJ, and have been married to a KY gal for over 50 years. I never learned how to play because her family is dominoes crazy. Even at age 93, shortly before she passed away 3 years ago, my MIL was rarely beaten by any of her youngins.

Not a board game per se but, Mexican Train Dominoes is quite popular at the homestead currently. I get roped into a game every week.
proxy.php
...+1 guys and yesterday, I 'pulled the trigger' and am waiting on a ;

..."hand made double-six domino set [that] is the perfect gift for any cigar aficionado! Complete set of 28 tiles and encased in a top of the line black magnetic closure box. The box will be personalized with my name [Christopher] at no extra charge.

proxy.php
proxy.php
cigar-dominoes-3-jpg.1736915
proxy.php

Note: Now, now...be careful not to break the Domino table when you 'slam dem bones'.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Dominos: a game that's easy to learn and hard to master". Unknown Author

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
proxy.php
...+1 guys and yesterday, I 'pulled the trigger' and am waiting on a ;

..."hand made double-six domino set [that] is the perfect gift for any cigar aficionado! Complete set of 28 tiles and encased in a top of the line black magnetic closure box. The box will be personalized with my name [Christopher] at no extra charge.

proxy.php
proxy.php
cigar-dominoes-3-jpg.1736915
proxy.php

Note: Now, now...be careful not to break the Domino table when you 'slam dem bones'.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Dominos: a game that's easy to learn and hard to master". Unknown Author
Absolutely beautiful my friend! I was late to learning dominos, but I have been known to jump into a good game of "Mexican Train" or "Chicken Toes"! Fun for little ones and almost adults like me.

Top Bottom