What's new

Board Game Suggestions

Pete:
The folks at Hasbro have added a new 'twist' to their 'Classic' Monopoly game. Drum roll, please.
proxy.php

[FONT=&amp]NewsSy - Leah Becerra | February 17, 2016
[/FONT]
"Bye bye, paper money. Hello, ATM-like banker (but, 'Go to Jail" is still there]".
proxy.php

Paper money — that's what Hasbro has stripped from the latest edition of its classic Monopoly board game.

The banker has also been replaced with this small ATM-like contraption. In place of the Monopoly currency, players will use debit cards to make purchases and pay fees.
Sure, removing the paper money may mean you'll lose fewer parts, ('Go to Jail" is still there
proxy.php
), but what about the whole money-
managing lesson
proxy.php

attachment.php

Read More: http://www.newsy.com/videos/new-monopoly-game-will-drive-players-straight-to-bankruptcy/

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp]"[Monopoly] is game which requires both luck and skill. Luck keeps the game interesting, but skillful play will always be rewarded". Paul Magriel[/FONT]

That's a terrible idea. It's impossible to give kids an accurate idea of the value of things without the quantitative analysis that goes into dealing with physical money. I still have a Narnia version with paper money that my kiddos will be using.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, it is a card game, but whenever I get together with my father and sisters we always play Mille Bornes.

Here are two games that are simple but fun. I still have the same trouble game that I got in 1969. Both games are frustrating and fun at the same time. The Greed game can be played using "Hutterite rules" for even more greedy fun.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I ordered Dead of Winter and Sheriff of Nottingham yesterday. I think I'm going to order Carcassonne sometime soon. Stratego is a good one. My brother and I used to play that quite a bit.

Here are two games that are simple but fun. I still have the same trouble game that I got in 1969. Both games are frustrating and fun at the same time.
proxy.php

My daughter got this one for Christmas. I don't think she's lost a game yet...and she's five...and doesn't cheat. Probably a good thing, since she's not a very good loser yet :mad3::angry::crying:. We're working on that.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I need to teach the guys to play backgammon. It's the best board game ever made.

I've always loved that one too. I probably started playing it around 7 or 8.
Pete & Garrett:
$+2.jpg...the 5,000 year old game is the best! :thumbsup:

However, the Mrs. and I aren't too fancy about using the doubling cube...we also love playing Acey-Duecey! :w00t:

proxy.php
"Backgammon is game which requires both luck and skill. Luck keeps the game interesting, but skillfull play will always be rewarded". Paul Magriel

Lot's of great suggestions above.
I'll suggest a few filler games that play with more then four.
Filler Game: Game that play's in less then an hour.

For Sale: Game of buying and selling houses. Whoever makes the most money wins.
No Thanks!: Card game where you are trying to get the lowest score.
Sushi Go: Game where you play a patron at a sushi restaurant. Its a drafting and set collection game.

There are some great games based on TV shows like Son's of Anarchy, Homeland, Battlestar Galactica and Firefly.

My favorite sports game is Baseball Highlights 2045, but it is a two player game.

Check out the website "board game geek" each game has an entry with reviews and ratings, FAQ's and quick reference sheets.

Also look for board game nights at your local hobby shops, also look for local board game conventions. Lots of great people playing great games.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I ordered Dead of Winter and Sheriff of Nottingham yesterday. I think I'm going to order Carcassonne sometime soon. Stratego is a good one. My brother and I used to play that quite a bit.

Here is my memory of Stratego. When I lived in Michigan, the church we belonged to thought AC/DC was evil. I used to stay over at one of my friends house on some weekends, and his parents didn't share the same opinion. So, we would order pizza, drink Pepsi (I cannot stomach that stuff now) and stay up late playing Stratego while listening to AC/DC in the finished basement.

I'm not much for using the doubling cube either. In college I had three friends from Denmark and used to play them. We used the doubling cube, but only because we played dime a point.

If you enjoy a little silliness, Pick up Quelf. It's fun, particularly because it will force you to do some pretty silly things. There are 4 or 5 different types of card. Some are rules, some are round robin topical, some are charades, some are silly.

I second this. It's a hilarious group game! With or without alcohol involved (I like beer so I say it's better with)
Highly recommended for a guys night OR a couples night.

Top Bottom