What's new

Boar VS Badger shaving brush

Gents,
Many new to wet shaving often have troubles determining which brush is best for them, namely, why is a badger brush more expensive, and precisely what are the differences? Although I am no expert, I hope to shed some light on this debate with some explanations and pictures.

First let us take a look at the combatants I have chosen. First of which (left) is a burma shave boars hair brush that can be commonly found at walmart, longs, walgreens etc. I think I paid around $5 for it new. Next to it (right) is a Vulfix #41 in super badger hair. This brush retails for $130 (www.classicshaving.com), however the Saville Row version of this brush (the SR241) which is IDENTICAL, save for the logo, will set you back only $99 (available at www.qedusa.com)
P1010033.JPG

P1010038.JPG

A few issues I would like to cover before I continue. Firstly, the boars hair brush I chose for the review is quite inexpensive and is not indicative of all boars hairs brushes. There are higher quality versions available, such as, col conk (made by vulfix), omega, proraso, vulfix, muhle, etc. I have used some of the aforementioned brushes in the past, and they are better than the burma shave brush, however I personally do not feel they are leaps and bounds better. I certainly wish I had a more suitable boar hair brush to use for the comparison, but alas, I am a college student, and do not have the time or patience or wish to spend the $ to order one specifically for this test. I apologize for the long “preface” but shaving brushes for some silly reason are a VERY hot topic, and I want to be as clear, unbiased and fair as one opinion can possibly be.

Now onward!
The areas I will cover are 1.Price 2. Differences (physically) 3. Feel 4.Lather and lastly 5. heat retention

1.) Price
On average badger brushes of good quality tend to be significantly more than boars hair brushes. There are a few things to take into account when contemplating which brush to purchase. First and most important to me is smell. Boars hair brushes simply smell putrid to me. The smell subsides over time, but it never fully disappears. When using delicate scented creams, such as a rose, coconut or violet, the smell of the boar brush tends to overpower the cream and is an unpleasant experience for me. Badger brushes smell a little funky at first, but within a day or two the smell is almost unnoticeable, and within a week, it smells like whichever cream you used last. Second is the quality of the animals hair. I have never used a boars hair brush that did not “shed” hairs, and I used a burma shave boar hair brush all summer (3 months) and it was totally thrashed and unusable by summers end. On the other hand, I have only lost 1 hair on a badger brush. Although more expensive, most badger brushes will stand at least 10 years of hard use. Many gents even get a heck of a lot more use out of them than that. When you figure $5 for a boar brush four times a year (if you wear one out every 3 months) you are looking at $20 a year. So in five years you will have spent the equivalent of a Saville Row SR241 which will go another 5 years easy.

2.) Physical differences.
P1010034.JPG

P1010036.JPG

Notice when I apply pressure to the tips of the boar brush, it displaces the hair. There is no flex or give. The bristles are stiff and firm, and if a single hair is bent to an extreme, the hair snaps or is permanently bent. Also notice the black ring around the base of the bristles. This has an "exposed" knot, so the handle is attached to the knot piece.

P1010035.JPG

P1010037.JPG

Now examine how the badger hair reacts. It contours around my finger, and the bristles flex around it. They are springy and return back to true when manipulated. When downward pressure is applied, the brush flexes and mushrooms out. Notice no black ring where the bristles meet the handle? The knot is apart of the handle, thus there is almost no chance of losing bristles.

3.) Feel
This section is cut and dry. The boar brush feels “fake” and stiff and is abrasive against the face. It is not unpleasant, but it has a stiff, cold feel to it. The badger brush on the other hand is luxurious, soft, and very comfortable against the face.

4.) Lather
Now what you all came here for… the nitty gritty. There is not much to say about the lathering differences, just check out the pictures below. The lather with the badger brush is significantly denser, more hydrated, softer, fuller, and just plain works better at delivering a closer, more comfortable shave. I used proraso soap for this first test, to show as an example to one of our newer members surf.
P1010039.JPG

P1010040.JPG

P1010041.JPG

P1010042.JPG

This is the lather I got with the boar brush and proraso....
P1010043.JPG

P1010044.JPG

P1010045.JPG

P1010046.JPG

This is the lather I got with the badger brush and proraso....
P1010047.JPG

This next set of pictures will show you the difference in lathering Taylors Eton College.
BOAR
P1010090.JPG

P1010091.JPG

One swipe across the hand with lathered brush...
P1010092.JPG

10 swipes across the hand with lathered brush...
P1010093.JPG

BADGER
P1010063.JPG

One swipe across the hand with lathered brush...

P1010084.JPG

10 swipes across hand with lathered brush...
P1010085.JPG

5.) Heat retention
There is almost no heat retention within the boar brush. Even when using boiling water, it is cool within a matter of a minute or so. The badger brush locks in the heat within the center of the brush, and the dense hair traps it, so I tend to get 10-15 minutes of nice warm lather!

Hope this helps some of you guys, and as always do not hesitate to ask any questions!

Respectfully,

S

shavingrace

Excellent post: says it fair and square. Buy badger for health and happiness.

Excellent job!!

now I have heard it said that boar brushes can be better if you have a heavier beard due to lifting the whiskers better. does anyone have any experience getting a better shave from a boar than a badger?

I remember using this same boar brush when I first started out with col. conk amber soap. I just rubbed soap on the end of the brush and then slapped it on my face. I got close comfortable shaves that way. When I got my first badger I wasn't getting as close of shaves, but then again I had no clue as to how to prep the soap and work it up. I have been tempted to try a boar again just to see if I could get away with less prep for those quickie shaves.

Excellent post Joel!

Informative and logically presented( although logic has nothing to do with our purchases!) in a visual format.

Marty

bearbeard said:
Excellent job!!

now I have heard it said that boar brushes can be better if you have a heavier beard due to lifting the whiskers better. does anyone have any experience getting a better shave from a boar than a badger?

I remember using this same boar brush when I first started out with col. conk amber soap. I just rubbed soap on the end of the brush and then slapped it on my face. I got close comfortable shaves that way. When I got my first badger I wasn't getting as close of shaves, but then again I had no clue as to how to prep the soap and work it up. I have been tempted to try a boar again just to see if I could get away with less prep for those quickie shaves.

I wouldn't say boar provides closer shaves, but a Proraso Boar brush (made by Omega) is actually a heck of a lot nicer than the P.O.S. Burma shave, and is actually a really nice brush if you can handle the vile odor of it for a couple of weeks.

Thanks Joel. To a newbe, like myself, the kind of information you presented is invaluable. Terrific post!

joel said:
I wouldn't say boar provides closer shaves, but a Proraso Boar brush (made by Omega) is actually a heck of a lot nicer than the P.O.S. Burma shave, and is actually a really nice brush if you can handle the vile odor of it for a couple of weeks.

No need to deal with the odor:

soak overnight in a sink of water with a hair conditoner added.

Remove in the morning and let dry.

Use and enjoy!

Marty

I guess I feel obligated to put in my 2 cents for balance.

All of my shaving life, until a couple of weeks ago, I have used a boar bristle brush. It belonged to my dad before that, and he had it many years before he passed it on to me.
Do bristles break from time to time? Yes. But even after all those years of use, it is still plenty full.
Does it make an adequate lather? Yes. Not as quickly or as voluminous as a badger brush, but adequate.
Does it smell? No, not at all. I can detect no odor at all.
Is it prickly, no, I would say that my pure badger is scritchier than the boar bristle brush.

In short, a well made boar bristle brush can last for decades. This one has been in use for at least 1/2 a century. It does a fine job of lathering, and it doesn't smell. Granted it doesn't hold as much water or heat, but it can be very serviceable and affordable.

kozulich said:
I guess I feel obligated to put in my 2 cents for balance.

All of my shaving life, until a couple of weeks ago, I have used a boar bristle brush. It belonged to my dad before that, and he had it many years before he passed it on to me.
Do bristles break from time to time? Yes. But even after all those years of use, it is still plenty full.
Does it make an adequate lather? Yes. Not as quickly or as voluminous as a badger brush, but adequate.
Does it smell? No, not at all. I can detect no odor at all.
Is it prickly, no, I would say that my pure badger is scritchier than the boar bristle brush.

In short, a well made boar bristle brush can last for decades. This one has been in use for at least 1/2 a century. It does a fine job of lathering, and it doesn't smell. Granted it doesn't hold as much water or heat, but it can be very serviceable and affordable.

I agree with your remarks wholeheartidly.... especially that of "a well made boar bristle brush." See - at the time of this comparison, the only boar brushes I had used had been $5 or less, so the Burma seemed like a bit of a P.O.S. - Since this review I have tried several others such as an Omega boar and a Vulfix boar bristle brush, and they have been outstanding.

joel said:
..., but alas, I am a college student...

Hi Joel,

Thanks for this excellent (as usual) posting! Very informative.

I couldn't help notice the above quoted claim in your post. As a newbie here at B&B, I did not realize that you were a college student. Congratulations on setting-up a wonderful e-home for wet-shavers while working on your studies!

From your previous posts, it sounds like you have some expensive hobbies beyond shaving stuff (watches, pens, guns, shoes, knives, whiskeys). Those are some very impressive past-times to afford as a college student! :wink:

Thanks again,
Danny

dszpiro said:
Hi Joel,

Thanks for this excellent (as usual) posting! Very informative.

I couldn't help notice the above quoted claim in your post. As a newbie here at B&B, I did not realize that you were a college student. Congratulations on setting-up a wonderful e-home for wet-shavers while working on your studies!

From your previous posts, it sounds like you have some expensive hobbies beyond shaving stuff (watches, pens, guns, shoes, knives, whiskeys). Those are some very impressive past-times to afford as a college student! :wink:

Thanks again,
Danny

Danny,
Unfortunatly - I graduated, and am now a full-time workin' man. :frown:

Thank You, Joel, for such an excellent post. As an all-around new guy I always find posts such as these to be most helpful!

M

modern man

WELL YEA BAGER IS BETTER

but come on just for fairness

u are using the best badger ever

and the worst boar ever

Doc Mottern said:
WELL YEA BAGER IS BETTER

but come on just for fairness

u are using the best badger ever

and the worst boar ever

I apoligize - however at the time, this is all I had, and Omega boar brushes were not available at Target. I also clearly point out in the third paragraph "Firstly, the boars hair brush I chose for the review is quite inexpensive and is not indicative of all boars hairs brushes. There are higher quality versions available, such as, col conk (made by vulfix), omega, proraso, vulfix, muhle, etc. I have used some of the aforementioned brushes in the past, and they are better than the burma shave brush, however I personally do not feel they are leaps and bounds better. I certainly wish I had a more suitable boar hair brush to use for the comparison, but alas, I am a college student, and do not have the time or patience or wish to spend the $ to order one specifically for this test. I apologize for the long preface but shaving brushes for some silly reason are a VERY hot topic, and I want to be as clear, unbiased and fair as one opinion can possibly be."

Having already given a disclaimer, I don't know what to tell you other than my apoligies. If you feel it was "unfair" I strongly encourage you to post a more appropriate comparison.

:smile:

Excellent post joel. I haven't tried a boar hair brush, but now I really have no intention on wasting my money towards the purchase of one.

MBlatt said:
Excellent post joel. I haven't tried a boar hair brush, but now I really have no intention on wasting my money towards the purchase of one.
As I think he mentioned, the Burma brush is probably the worst of the worst. I started using the Omega boar brush. Definately not as good as badger but it IS 10x better than the Wal-Mart brush.

M

modern man

Im sorry man i meant no offence

Im a badger man an I have tried boar (never again)

But reading the stuff on here we should do a badger vs. badger comparison :001_cool:

Top Bottom