What's new

Boar versus badger

Quick question for you gentlemen. Do badger brushes shed more than boar brushes? I have 2 omega boar brushes and they rarely, if ever, shed. I have a whipped dog badger that sheds a few hairs every shave and an AOS badger that sheds worse than my black lab. Curious to hear about y'all's experiences. Thanks

I think it all depends on the individual brush, but the lone badger I had shed more than my three boars. BTW, doesn't The Lone Badger sound like a superhero?

I think it all depends on the individual brush, but the lone badger I had shed more than my three boars. BTW, doesn't The Lone Badger sound like a superhero?

+1 for The Lone Badger, would've been a great radio show in the 30's!

Like Bruce and Tigger have said, it depends on the brush. I have several badgers, boars and synthetics, and of all of them, the biggest shedder has been a boar (a SOC I've had for around five years).

Definitely depends on the individual brush. My boar sheds the most of all my brushes. The badgers rarely shed and my synthetics don't she'd at all.

Yes, it depends on the brush. I have been lucky the only brush that she was a badger and it was replaced by the manufacturer.

Must be the individual brush. I only have boar brushes at this time. My two less expensive never shed. One of the expensive sheds a little ... and the other (most expensive ) I had to throw out.

My only brush is an Omega 49 boar, and after two months I can't recall it ever losing a hair. I had a badger brush in high school that shed constantly.

you're lucky, you have a lab, i have a german shepherd, sheds much more!
I'm surprised the WD sheds so much, they usually don't... maybe a few hairs in the beginning, that's all. I'm sure he'll replace it for you, maybe it was a bad batch (i have a few white mountains, they're all great)
Yes, from my experience badger shades more than boar... not a rule, just what i've experienced. And, if you think an expensive badger brush is better you'll be utterly disappointed!
I'm buying knots from eBay (Virginia Cheng) and WD and glue them myself. I would say 99% do not shed, nothing to speak of anyway.

i have 2 boar brushes.... both omegas one is a shedding fiend and the other never drops a single hair that i can see anyway.
the badger brushes i have are all different and some shed one or 2 hairs every now and then and others i never seen.

i must go with the majority and say it is with out a doubt something that must be summed up brush by brush

Top Bottom