What's new

Boar Strop + Noobie Stropper

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Just scored an Illinois #827 used, looks almost new, for cheap. Totally stoked to get my hands on a for real hanging strop!

What if any difference is there in feel or usage between leather and boar. Is boar a suitable material for a first strop? The leather #127 is the one I wanted but this came along at a steal. 24 hours from now it will be in my sweaty, shaky, hands and a new threshold will be crossed. Any tips so I can come out of the corner swinging tomorrow?

I am a beginner to SR shaving. But i have not heard people use boar leather. My suggestion is to use something cheap though as you will probably get a few nicks in it before you get the technique down. Cow leather is cheap and works pretty well and is what i use. I have just got myself a horsehide strop now, but needs breaking in.
But if you decide to use something expensive for a first strop? take it slow, controlled and be careful.

Only pointers i can give is do not use alot of preassure or you will roll the edge. And try to lift the edge of the strop as you are getting to the end of your stroke, if you dont and keep the edge on there to a full stop then you will probably nick it, i know i did. And always roll on the spine

Just scored an Illinois #827 used, looks almost new, for cheap. Totally stoked to get my hands on a for real hanging strop!

What if any difference is there in feel or usage between leather and boar. Is boar a suitable material for a first strop? The leather #127 is the one I wanted but this came along at a steal. 24 hours from now it will be in my sweaty, shaky, hands and a new threshold will be crossed. Any tips so I can come out of the corner swinging tomorrow?
Congratulations and Illinois is a well known and respected brand. Mine is a horse hide and fire host linen version. I'd say if its in decent shape, just use it.

I you think boar hide might work, try it. You might like it and you might not.

Most strops are make of some type of cowhide or horsehide. The finish can be anywhere between swede and very smooth.

Then there is shell cordovan which is from the horse, but from a membrane beneath the skin on the horse's rump. Many prople think shell Cordovan makes the best strops. Many vintage barber's strops were Cordovan. Due to the long processing time for producing Cordovan, it is an expensive leather.

Some like kangaroo hide, which is thin, but strong.

Some people even strop on their own skin, especially the palm of their hand.

Nearly any type of skin or leather can be used for a strop. I have wondered how chamois leather (likely made from sheepskin these days) would work for pasted strops glued to a backing; it is too stretchy to use as a hanging strop. I have seen pig skin at local hobby shops, but it has a grain that may or may not work. I prefer finer grain leathers.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I'm not sure I understand the term aggressive. Does this mean it works faster than leather? I hope aggressive doesn't make it harder for a noob to master. I believe I read some where that boar is slipperier than leather and has less pull. I'm worried about feedback telling me I'm done.

Thank you gentlemen for your input. So excited, I've been palm, arm and thigh stropping for over a year with mixed results. I think my hands are too rough and my arm and thigh are too hairy......This is gonna' rock! There will be a leather strop in my future also.

Going to shave tonight with a razor stropped with a real strop! (if I don't fail at stropping)

I'm not sure I understand the term aggressive. Does this mean it works faster than leather?
I only have experience with one boar strop so this is far from conclusive. My boar is coupled with a poly secondary that seems different from the other polys that I've used. When I first switched to the boar I was doing 55 boar laps pre shave and 34 poly/55 boar post shave and after a time I found that my edges were getting a bit harsh and tedious to shave with. I started cutting down on the poly laps and have arrived at 3 laps! I still use the 55 boar before and after and my edges stay just how I like them. It is only recently that I have wondered whether the more effective boar over other leathers may have contributed to my cutting down on the poly laps. I will be meeting the guy who supplied my boar strop in person next month and surely will be talking about his feelings on this. My boar strop is kind of stiff and low draw which I like. Full hollows sing a bit on it. I certainly don't consider it hard to use.

I only have experience with one boar strop so this is far from conclusive. My boar is coupled with a poly secondary that seems different from the other polys that I've used. When I first switched to the boar I was doing 55 boar laps pre shave and 34 poly/55 boar post shave and after a time I found that my edges were getting a bit harsh and tedious to shave with. I started cutting down on the poly laps and have arrived at 3 laps! I still use the 55 boar before and after and my edges stay just how I like them. It is only recently that I have wondered whether the more effective boar over other leathers may have contributed to my cutting down on the poly laps. I will be meeting the guy who supplied my boar strop in person next month and surely will be talking about his feelings on this. My boar strop is kind of stiff and low draw which I like. Full hollows sing a bit on it. I certainly don't consider it hard to use.

My experience is fairly limited with boar as well. I found that less strokes were required also and too much left for an unpleasant shave as well.
They were considered very effective by some barbers which I feel also lends to the quicker acting sensation that I got.
Even when rubbing the strop with the hand before stropping the boar leather heats up much faster - I don't know why but it does.
They are fairly quick in use (light draw) but I have noticed some boar strops are presented with the "pockmarked" side of the two as the front and labeled side and some the reverse or smoother side as the front.
I have not tried the smoother side version.
It is no different in use and certainly no more difficult.

I have noticed some boar strops are presented with the "pockmarked" side of the two as the front and labeled side and some the reverse or smoother side as the front.
I have not tried the smoother side version.

Mine has the smooth side as the stropping surface.
The weird thing about this is that the smooth side is the flesh side and the pepply side is the bristle side. Opposite of other leathers. Let us know which side yours presents Duke.

Did you get this off eBay? I was bugging on it but that to get on the road. Now I'm looking for another one. Nice win sir!

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Well....First off, this one has the smooth side out. But it's anything but smooth.

Secondly, I'd like to add, I don't believe it's ever been used and yes Sir I stole it on ebay.

Third thing is my first impression is actually.....horror. I don't want to put a blade on this until it is somehow tuned up or some body tells me this is normal.

Yes it is smooth side out, not the hair side, and it looks like fish scales that actually stand up and can be easily seen and felt. Feels really dry and cardboard like too. I'm not talking the suede looking back side of a belt, I'm talking hold a fish up by the tail and strop away. Is this normal? It looks like it needs finish sanded or something.

Well....First off, this one has the smooth side out. But it's anything but smooth.

Secondly, I'd like to add, I don't believe it's ever been used and yes Sir I stole it on ebay.

Third thing is my first impression is actually.....horror. I don't want to put a blade on this until it is somehow tuned up or some body tells me this is normal.

Yes it is smooth side out, not the hair side, and it looks like fish scales that actually stand up and can be easily seen and felt. Feels really dry and cardboard like too. I'm not talking the suede looking back side of a belt, I'm talking hold a fish up by the tail and strop away. Is this normal? It looks like it needs finish sanded or something.
Is it a Tripoli? That is what mine is, but it was reconditioned before I got it and the stropping surface was glass smooth. Mine was very stiff when I got it but daily hand rubbing for three years has softened it up a bit. Still my favorite strop.

Is it a Tripoli? That is what mine is, but it was reconditioned before I got it and the stropping surface was glass smooth. Mine was very stiff when I got it but daily hand rubbing for three years has softened it up a bit. Still my favorite strop.
That's a long time to rub. Did you break to eat and sleep?:a14:

Just a quick rub after each shave. Pretty rewarding on the whole. Feeling the leather change bit by bit put some soul into it.

Still haven't used mine. ;-) But I am curious about your respective remarks about the boar hide being fast-acting. I have recently noticed this in switching to horse hide from a vintage shell strop.

Top Bottom