What's new

Boar shaving brush needed.

Where can I get a half decent boar shaving brush for under $20 dollars. I know it's not much. My boar brush that I have now needs replacing! I live in Canada. I was looking on amazon and seen some nice looking brushes, but don't know what would be a good buy. I have a stand for it!

I purchased a Semogue 1520 from Amazon for less than $20. It is very soft since it broke in.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Fendrihan Canada is a good site
Several good Omegas listed there. I would recommend any Omega, Proraso Pro as well, since its a re-branded Omega.

I would imagine Fendrihan's brushes are fine as well, but cannot testify to that.

Last edited:
I just got an Omega pro 10108 of Amazon.ca it still has to break it but so far I am impressed with it 27mm with a 55 MM loft. Very nice brush. I think it Was around 16 dollars Canadian.

I bought an Omega 10290 brush. I put the knot into a vintage handle. I love that brush. It broke in nicely.

I also have the Proraso Pro and it's a fantastic brush. In fact those are the only two boar brushes that I've kept.

Omega has quite an extensive line. I have a 10049 and like it. I can't speak to other makers. Omega is my only boar.

Omega has quite an extensive line. I have a 10049 and like it. I can't speak to other makers. Omega is my only boar.
Good beginners shaving brush I read. I think the proraso pro is made by omega I think. But I could be wrong!

I like the 10049 better than the Proraso brush. The Proraso (a rebranded Omega 10083 with a slightly shorter loft) is too stiff even when broken. The 10049 would be the perfect boar brush if it wasn't for the lightweight plastic handle like the majority of Omega brushes. Very soft tips when broken still retaining a good backbone.

Another great boar is the Omega 10098 also sold in the US under the Marvy brand ($18):
proxy.php

I like the 10049 better than the Proraso brush. The Proraso (a rebranded Omega 10083 with a slightly shorter loft) is too stiff even when broken. The 10049 would be the perfect boar brush if it wasn't for the lightweight plastic handle like the majority of Omega brushes. Very soft tips when broken still retaining a good backbone.

Another great boar is the Omega 10098 also sold in the US under the Marvy brand ($18):
proxy.php
I was thinking the omega 10049. When I visited maggards website, it said great for beginners. I wanted something I would be happy with. And when I read the description of the proraso pro on Italian barber website I new it was for me.

Note: I am a beginner too, I think you have a fine brush. I really like omega brushes. I have only been wet shaving for over a year now. So I am not putting down your omega 10049. It has a really great rating on maggards website. Hey my badger brush is a beginner brush I have been using most of the time. And it was 10 dollars. The proraso pro is also a budget brush. And that was what I was looking for! I paid a little more then I wanted, but I try my best to take advice from b&b. They know best!

I was thinking the omega 10049. When I visited maggards website, it said great for beginners. I wanted something I would be happy with. And when I read the description of the proraso pro on Italian barber website I new it was for me.
I'll testify that you can't go wrong dropping $10 on an Omega 10049. It's the only modern boar that I have, but I love it. It's huge, and it doesn't mess around. Where many people have issues trying to lather modern Williams Mug Soap, my 10049 works it into a superb lather every time.
Yeah, the handle is cheap plastic, but it's big and easy to hold onto.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up getting!

Note: I am a beginner too, I think you have a fine brush. I really like omega brushes. So I am not putting down your omega 10049. It has a really great rating on maggards website.

Don't worry, the 49 is not my Omega, I also have the Proraso (still an Omega) :001_302:
In my experience, out of the two, I much prefer the 49 and by a large margin.
Zenith makes even better boar brushes but the only retailer in the US is an ebay store and usually they are much more expensive.

Don't worry, the 49 is not my Omega, I also have the Proraso (still an Omega) :001_302:
In my experience, out of the two, I much prefer the 49 and by a large margin.
Zenith makes even better boar brushes but the only retailer in the US is an ebay store and usually they are much more expensive.
It was between omega boar premium jade handle, or the proraso pro. I chose the proraso pro. I was told the jade handle would be the ideal choice out of the two. I also liked the idea that I use proraso products, that helped. I don't know too much about brushes, although b&b is great help. Maybe you would have preferred the jade handle, if you had a choice between the two, within your budget. But again everybody's situation is different in what products they prefer as well.

Top Bottom