What's new

Boar recommendations...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When everything arrives, I'll have 2 Omega, 2 Semogue and 2 Zenith boar brushes...
The 2 Zeniths are here along with the least expensive Omega. I like the Zenith B33 quite a bit.... copper base with a shape I prefer. It's also called a 506 Copper SE.

I got mine here: thegentleshave on eBay - https://www.ebay.com/usr/thegentleshave

I'm really looking forward to the 2 Semogue Owner's Club boars... one in Taj, the other in Butterscotch... the Butterscotch shows up tomorrow.

When they are all assembled, I'll take a group photo. All of them were recommended here both in the Brotherhood of Boar and the December 2021 Boar month. Great threads to get a handle on boar brushes. Mixed hair brushes are also recommended in each, along with this month's May Mistura thread.

Last edited:
When everything arrives, I'll have 2 Omega, 2 Semogue and 2 Zenith boar brushes...
The 2 Zeniths are here along with the least expensive Omega. I like the Zenith B33 quite a bit.... copper base with a shape I prefer. It's also called a 506 Copper SE.

I got mine here: thegentleshave on eBay - https://www.ebay.com/usr/thegentleshave

I'm really looking forward to the 2 Semogue Owner's Club boars... one in Taj, the other in Butterscotch... the Butterscotch shows up tomorrow.

When they are all assembled, I'll take a group photo. All of them were recommended here both in the Brotherhood of Boar and the December 2021 Boar month. Great threads to get a handle on boar brushes. Mixed hair brushes are also recommended in each, along with this month's May Mistura thread.
I was really surprised at how quickly my Zenith B34 broke in

I'd recommend Semogue 2000 (simply cause I own one). Checked, it's about 15-20$.
You can look my post for lathering and how it compares with badger/synthetic brush to see if match your expectations.
If my poor boars lasted for years, I guess any Semogue, Omega, Zenith will match it for decade if you take care of it. The build quality is on point, it breaks easily, lather like monster and the handle is so nicely crafted I can't explain.

If you can find it, Van der Hagen boar. I've got 2. They're made by Dutch immigrants. I'm in The Netherlands now, so I tip my hat to that windmill.

If you can find it, Van der Hagen boar. I've got 2. They're made by Dutch immigrants. I'm in The Netherlands now, so I tip my hat to that windmill.
I'll second this brush; super cheap about $5 USD, lathers great, zero break-in needed, and doesn't shed hairs. I accidentally fell in love with it.

I'm new to wet shaving and haven't tried a lot of different brushes. First a Perfecto pure badger--this sheds like a farm animal, and has been retired from service. Then a Fendrihan B&W Synthetic which was good, but really had to grind it into the B&M soap bowls to pick enough soap (or so it seemed). And now the Semogue 1305. I wanted to try the Semogue 1305 because I use a bowl for lather and it has a good reputation for a bowl-brush. It's worked really well for me.

The longer handle is really nice when you're whipping up a lather in a bowl (more on the brush, less on the hands) and I heard that boar has a long break-in time, but the 1305 is in about a week now and making méringue-like lather out of Trumper's Eucris cream.

The elaborate break-in rituals I conducted consisted of a couple of additional 10-15 minute soaks in warm tap water (when I thought of it) and drying the brush by brushing it against a bath towel for 3-4 minutes. I think the process that they use to stripe the bristles on the 1305 does some of the break-in work for you.

But no long, drawn-out, process to break it in. I'm sure the brush will only get better from here. A really nice surprise all the way around. Highly recommended.

I'm new to wet shaving and haven't tried a lot of different brushes. First a Perfecto pure badger--this sheds like a farm animal, and has been retired from service. Then a Fendrihan B&W Synthetic which was good, but really had to grind it into the B&M soap bowls to pick enough soap (or so it seemed). And now the Semogue 1305. I wanted to try the Semogue 1305 because I use a bowl for lather and it has a good reputation for a bowl-brush. It's worked really well for me.

The longer handle is really nice when you're whipping up a lather in a bowl (more on the brush, less on the hands) and I heard that boar has a long break-in time, but the 1305 is in about a week now and making méringue-like lather out of Trumper's Eucris cream.

The elaborate break-in rituals I conducted consisted of a couple of additional 10-15 minute soaks in warm tap water (when I thought of it) and drying the brush by brushing it against a bath towel for 3-4 minutes. I think the process that they use to stripe the bristles on the 1305 does some of the break-in work for you.

But no long, drawn-out, process to break it in. I'm sure the brush will only get better from here. A really nice surprise all the way around. Highly recommended.

Same here. A few sacrificial lathers and a few soaks, mainly to dispel any "funk", then I just use em.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Lots of great boar brushes have already been mentioned. I'll add to the recommendation for Zenith boar brushes.

My favorites:

B33: Copper handle.. feels great in the hand. thegentleshave has them on eBay
502 SE: Malachite handle from Your Shaving
506N XSE: Unbleached boar in a black resin handle also from Your Shaving. Same handle shape as the B33 copper... the handle shape is amazing.

The Zenith knots are more dense and get soft very quickly. The Semogue Owner's Club boars are nowhere near as nice as their Mistura brushes. The Omega Premium Jade isn't bad from Connaught Shaving but I've heard, previous versions are much better than what's available now.

The cheapest brush that is often recommended is the Omega 10108, but it has the plastic ring at the base of the knot and they break eventually... I have one and figure, I'll just put an O-ring there if it breaks. It isn't much of a risk. Pasteur Shaving sells them for $8.39. They are available in red, white and blue... I have the red one.

This photo has them all except the 506N XSE... it's on the way:

All the Boars.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lots of great boar brushes have already been mentioned. I'll add to the recommendation for Zenith boar brushes.

My favorites:

B33: Copper handle.. feels great in the hand. thegentleshave has them on eBay
502 SE: Malachite handle from Your Shaving
506N XSE: Unbleached boar in a black resin handle also from Your Shaving. Same handle shape as the B33 copper... the handle shape is amazing.

The Zenith knots are more dense and get soft very quickly. The Semogue Owner's Club boars are nowhere near as nice as their Mistura brushes. The Omega Premium Jade isn't bad from Connaught Shaving but I've heard, previous versions are much better than what's available now.

The cheapest brush that is often recommended is the Omega 10108, but it has the plastic ring at the base of the knot and they break eventually... I have one and figure, I'll just put an O-ring there if it breaks. It isn't much of a risk. Pasteur Shaving sells them for $8.39. They are available in red, white and blue... I have the red one.

This photo has them all except the 506N XSE... it's on the way:

View attachment 1477232
I'd come steal that table. Except then you'd know it was I that did the deed when you saw pictures of MY brushes on it!

The cheapest brush that is often recommended is the Omega 10108, but it has the plastic ring at the base of the knot and they break eventually... I have one and figure, I'll just put an O-ring there if it breaks. It isn't much of a risk. Pasteur Shaving sells them for $8.39....

The black plastic part is not really a ring. It's actually part of a cup that holds the knot in the handle. Just avoid soaking the entire brush in water. Soak just 2/3 of the bristles by setting the brush in a mug or cup of water. Then, you should not have to worry about the black plastic part breaking (due to expansion/contraction of the waterlogged bristles).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The black plastic part is not really a ring. It's actually part of a cup that holds the knot in the handle. Just avoid soaking the entire brush in water. Soak just the lower 2/3 of the bristles in a mug or cup. Then, you should not have to worry about the black plastic part breaking.
Thx for reminding me... I saw some photos of one them disassembled here and know exactly to what you are referring.

Thx again for the gentle correction. And that is very sound advice... keeping the handles far away from the water when soaking them. I've been doing that during the break-in wet/dry cycling I've been doing.

I do love the Torga C3 - I like this knot size and handle is very nice in hand.

What is "Extra IT Bristle" ?
Anybody know the difference between IT and Premium boar ?

IT means "Imitation Badger" (in Portuguese). That's the dye stripe decoration.

Extra is one of the grades Semogue uses for their boar bristles. It is a firm bristle grade. Premium is a somewhat softer grade used also in the 1305, SOC and C5 Torga.

I count 79, you're definitely needing another brush to bring it up to a round eighty!
That is just in that picture. I have plenty more on another wall. Then the rotation in the bathroom and the box under the desk that needs going through have a few more in it. It's a sickness.

BTW, I did get that Boar, and it's bigger than I thought. A nice full-sized Boar. And for that kinda money a guy can't go wrong.

Top Bottom