What's new

Boar recommendations...

I'm primarily a bowl-lather guy, and have used synthetic (Plissoft) brushes, and a really inexpensive Amazon badger brush. I'd love to add a boar to the den, and would want to get one brush that is suitable for bowl or face lathering, if possible. I don't want a huge brush, and was thinking 24mm max, unless there is a solid reason to consider something bigger.

I've seen Omega brushes selling for under 20 bucks, but having a hard time figuring out the differences between the many choices.

Any suggestions for my first boar purchase?

(Thanks)

Gpjoe, I am no Boar connoisseur, but I use an Omega, and have no complaints at all.

Attachments

• DEA8CA6F-1D44-4A9D-BCB3-85540B1EDEC7.jpeg
    DEA8CA6F-1D44-4A9D-BCB3-85540B1EDEC7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
I have one boar and it is Rubberset 400. It works great. Inexpensive Badger can't help but recommend Stirling Finest Badger. Really enjoying it!

Semogue 1305 has a reputation as a good bowl latherer. I enjoyed that brush.
Handle: Painted wood
Total Height: 110mm
Loft: 55mm
Knot Diameter: 22mm
Hair: Boar Bristle

Brad Maggard at Maggard Razors told me if you buy an Omega boar brush, get the ones with the metal rings as they last longer than the ones with the plastic rings (near the knot).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have quite a few boar brushes, here's a few favorites. I do prefer the medium to large size without excessive loft. The benefit of a larger boar is it retains more water, picks up soap easily and holds a lot of lather. Most Omega boars don't bloom out very much, keeping their more columnar shape.

The best boar I've got is the Omega Jade from Connaught in the UK. 27mm with ~53mm loft.
1651635397059.png

Nearly as good is the Omega 10108 which is quite inexpensive, under $10. IMO, preferable to model 49, though the knot is similar, it is a shorter loft. 27mm with ~56mm loft. A versatile brush. Though large, you can face lather with it easily.

1651635470885.png

A medium size boar I'd suggest without hesitation is the Omega 11137 with ash wood handle, can be for found for around $12. 24mm with ~55mm loft.
1651635596569.png

A brush of almost the same overall size, but slightly different feel, is the Semogue 1250. 22mm with ~55mm loft. The Semogue 1800 is a similar size to the 1250 and also worth considering. Very comfortable with good ergonomics.
1651635909588.png
1651636337718.png

BTW, a plastic ring cracking in an Omega brush is usually just a cosmetic flaw. Not a big tragedy on such an inexpensive brush.

Last edited:
An Omega boar with ~24mm knot with an ~55mm loft would serve well for both face-lathering and bowl-lathering IMO, especially with a shortish handle that allows one to scrunch up on the base of the knot with the fingers when loading prior to face-lathering. The Omega 80067 would work well in this regard. Beyond this, a shorter loft being better for dedicated face-lathering and a longer loft for dedicated bowl-lathering, etc. Semogue knots in the equivalent ~22mm x ~55mm range are not as versatile from my experience, being better for bowl-lathering, their shorter lofts being better for face-lathering.

Another alternative with a more hands-off approach would be a shorter loft with a long handle. Here, the Omega 10290 has a handle that's long enough for bowl lathering with a short knot, and a loft that's short enough for face-lathering without scrunching up at the base with the fingers.

Neither the 80067 nor the 10290 would break the bank in any way, and would let you get a sense of what works best for you before springing for something else.

A semogue torga c5 sounds perfect for what you are asking. For a cheaper brush the proraso pro is awesome, although I do like a few mm more with boar comared to badger and synthetics.

Zenith. Done.

Seriously, you can buy a Connought‘s Jade and wait 30-40 shaves until it breaks in… or buy a Zenith or a Semogue and have a great shave now.

Zenith for the win though IMO.
The 27mm/57mm loft Zenith boar knot is very good. The smaller ones tend to lack backbone and the larger ones tend to become floppy mops after extensive use. One store on the entire internet offers unbleached Zenith brushes that don't become floppy mops but do require extensive break-in. One other store sells expensive custom Zeniths with very low lofts that don't become floppy mops because there is little flexibility with such short lofts and big glue bumps.

Omega offers great knots in cheaper handles. Zenith offers pretty good knots in better handles. Very pretty, but you build your lather with the knot, so which is more important?

(Only partially joking about floppy mops 🤣 )

My Semogue Torga C5 boar is a great brush but took forever and a day to break in. So, it's hard to generalize.

Last edited:
I use this cheap Chinese one that sells for $5 at Walmart and Rite-Aid. It’s become a favorite in the den. Bonus no break-in was needed and didn’t smell from the start.
View attachment 1450064
Gotta be honest, part of my attraction to boar was the cost. I figured it would be inexpensive compared to badger, so why not try one?

If I happen to see one at the pharmacy or Walmart, I'll be all over it. I don't mind rolling the dice, especially if it comes up $5.

Here is a link to a post explaining the bristle differences in many Semogue boar brushes.

Brad Maggard at Maggard Razors told me if you buy an Omega boar brush, get the ones with the metal rings as they last longer than the ones with the plastic rings (near the knot).

Thanks for the link - got more reading to do. 🙂

I have quite a few boar brushes, here's a few favorites. I do prefer the medium to large size without excessive loft. The benefit of a larger boar is it retains more water, picks up soap easily and holds a lot of lather. Most Omega boars don't bloom out very much, keeping their more columnar shape.

The best boar I've got is the Omega Jade from Connaught in the UK. 27mm with ~53mm loft.
View attachment 1450069
Nearly as good is the Omega 10108 which is quite inexpensive, under $10. IMO, preferable to model 49, though the knot is similar, it is a shorter loft. 27mm with ~56mm loft. A versatile brush. Though large, you can face lather with it easily.

View attachment 1450070

A medium size boar I'd suggest without hesitation is the Omega 11137 with ash wood handle, can be for found for around $12. 24mm with ~55mm loft.
View attachment 1450072
A brush of almost the same overall size, but slightly different feel, is the Semogue 1250. 22mm with ~55mm loft. The Semogue 1800 is a similar size to the 1250 and also worth considering. Very comfortable with good ergonomics.
View attachment 1450073View attachment 1450074

BTW, a plastic ring cracking in an Omega brush is usually just a cosmetic flaw. Not a big tragedy on such an inexpensive brush.

Very informative, thank you.

An Omega boar with ~24mm knot with an ~55mm loft would serve well for both face-lathering and bowl-lathering IMO, especially with a shortish handle that allows one to scrunch up on the base of the knot with the fingers when loading prior to face-lathering. The Omega 80067 would work well in this regard. Beyond this, a shorter loft being better for dedicated face-lathering and a longer loft for dedicated bowl-lathering, etc. Semogue knots in the equivalent ~22mm x ~55mm range are not as versatile from my experience, being better for bowl-lathering, their shorter lofts being better for face-lathering.

Another alternative with a more hands-off approach would be a shorter loft with a long handle. Here, the Omega 10290 has a handle that's long enough for bowl lathering with a short knot, and a loft that's short enough for face-lathering without scrunching up at the base with the fingers.

Neither the 80067 nor the 10290 would break the bank in any way, and would let you get a sense of what works best for you before springing for something else.
Excellent info, thanks.

Here is a link to a post explaining the bristle differences in many Semogue boar brushes.

I've had the 1305 in my shopping cart at that huge on-line seller for a while - so that was one of my very first choices, but never pulled the trigger on it.

And I used to live close to Maggards. I'm still in Michigan, but nearly 200 miles away. I'd love to go there and be able to see the brushes and talk to those folks but I'm also afraid of all the stuff I would impulsively buy. 😄

Last edited:
Top Bottom