What's new

Boar Brushes

Started with synthetics then bought a cheap boar and love the feel. I thought I liked the boar because of the backbone, so I bought a synthetic with backbone and like it less than my synthetics with less backbone. Haven't tried badger, or horse yet, but hear they don't have as much backbone, but some might have as much scritch so am a little curious.

Started with synthetics then bought a cheap boar and love the feel. I thought I liked the boar because of the backbone, so I bought a synthetic with backbone and like it less than my synthetics with less backbone. Haven't tried badger, or horse yet, but hear they don't have as much backbone, but some might have as much scritch so am a little curious.
You kind of missed scrub when you discussed the characteristics of different knot materials. I am assuming you like the scrub of a boar. Paired with the backbone, hence your dislike of the other brushes. I have a feeling you will get wake up call on the meaning of scritch when you try your first pure badger.

You kind of missed scrub when you discussed the characteristics of different knot materials. I am assuming you like the scrub of a boar. Paired with the backbone, hence your dislike of the other brushes. I have a feeling you will get wake up call on the meaning of scritch when you try your first pure badger.
Yes I love scrubby boar. The synthetic I have actually has more backbone than my boar, but I don't like it so I guess I miss the scritch, or is it scrub that the boar has? I want a shorter lofted boar actually so it's even more stiff. Now you got me even more curious about badger :tongue1:

Yes I love scrubby boar. The synthetic I have actually has more backbone than my boar, but I don't like it so I guess I miss the scritch, or is it scrub that the boar has? I want a shorter lofted boar actually so it's even more stiff. now you got me more curious about badger :tongue_sm
I always described scritch to be a sharp scratchy sensation, where a broken in boar has more of a scrubby feel as the sides of the hairs are what’s making more contact with your skin. The source of scritch is more from the cut ends of hairs from a brush. Boars can have scritch some more than others, but once the tips split, it changes to scrub.

Pure badger has scritch for days and I am anituciating horse hair will have it as well, just not as intense.

I don’t mind scritch every now and then in my rotation. My wife loves the scritch my brushes when she lathers in her legs. It’s all about preference.

I use boar brushes exclusively. I prefer boar because they are soft, scrubby, and don't hog the lather.
The Semogue 1438 is the only brush I use. My only other shave brush is a synthetic which I plan to re-knot with boar.

I like variety. I have 5 boars, countless badgers, & 10 or so synthetics. I enjoy them all. They all do the same job, but each goes about it a bit differently. And that suits me just fine!

And by the way, I don't know how it happens, but I figure another pack of brushes will be heading my way a few more times!

I alternate between synthetic and boar. I don't get on with badger so gave up on them.

1596719032190.png

1596719078722.png

For a couple of years I used exclusively a Semogue SOC boar brush that I love so much.
Now, I semi-retired it and I'm using the 2 band badger.

For reference I don't like large knots, I prefer about 22mm brushes (but I didn't know this in the beginning).

I went Boar -> Synthetic -> Boar.
I prefer the feeling of natural hair brushes. I will still recommend synthetic to newcomers but has of now I have not found a synthetic brush that I really love.
I then dipped my toes in badger brush and finally found a badger brush with specs that appealed to me (23x47), instead of the massive 26 plus that seems to be the norm now. I loved it but the handle was too small.
After many other purchases I then bought the new Torga-C3 Cerda Extra IT and the Finest Badger.
The Torga-C3 is now my favorite brush and, as of now, the Finest hasn't come close to it (too much scritch but is a more recent brush with fewer uses.

I recently switched to boar after using a lot of synthetics and a couple of badgers. The boars just deliver what I want so much better than the others, and I don't see myself going back. I'll be purging in the BST soon.

IMG_1701.jpeg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I like the variety. One brush will fall in or out of favour but they all get used. My Omega Boar is a killer on soaps but surprisingly softer on my face than my badger. Lately I’m using my floppy horse hair for face painting, just a nice feeling brush. I only have one of each type; boar, badger, horse and synthetic, so they all get used regularly.

Top Bottom