What's new

Boar brushes: what makes the hair split faster?

I never had a wet dog smell on my two Omegas - but I discovered a really easy way to accelerate hair splitting on a boar brush.

I took out my hair dryer, and aimed a warm stream of air on my brushes. Most of us know that dry air helps split boar brushes, but you can increase the speed of the splitting with a hair dryer. However, don't make the boar brush hot; that can loosen the glue, and your brush can start shedding. :001_huh:

I know this is an old thread, but it asks a question I'm trying to answer, since I just this week started using boar brushes.

I got some in a PIF and have been soaking a couple in the fridge (just the hairs), as I read in various posts. I assume this is to soften them? But as I understand the hairs only split when they're bone dry so I'm unsure how useful it is to leave brushes in the fridge.

This worries me. I have a boar brush on the way, but I benefit greatly from pre shave oil.
I haven't notice pre-shave oil affecting boars breaking in on any of my boars from different manufacturers.

I know this is an old thread, but it asks a question I'm trying to answer, since I just this week started using boar brushes.

I got some in a PIF and have been soaking a couple in the fridge (just the hairs), as I read in various posts. I assume this is to soften them? But as I understand the hairs only split when they're bone dry so I'm unsure how useful it is to leave brushes in the fridge.

I've read that it helps, but my brushes have started splitting within a day or two of use, so have never bothered trying to soak them in the fridge to accelerate the process.

Last edited:
This worries me. I have a boar brush on the way, but I benefit greatly from pre shave oil.
i'm a pre-shave oil user and just broke in an Omega Professional brush. I did a cold water soak for about 20 hours, then let it dry for a couple of days. Did a couple test lathers, rinsed and let it dry another day. I've now used it for about 5 shaves and the ends are splitting nicely. It is important to rinse it thoroughly after the shave and allow it to dry. I have several brushes I use regularly, so letting one sit for a couple days is not a trouble.

For me, an easy way to break in a boar brush is to soak it for a long time (12 - 24hr). Then, use the brush, whether you face lather, bowl lather, or hand lather it. Then, dry it by stropping it against a towel or just squeeze out most of the water and let it air dry.

Repeat this step multiple times and I have a broken boar ready to go. Some brushes will break in after just one time. Others will not break it until 4-5 times. It's a matter of luck as well for certain boar knots.

They don't split6when dry and I since, simply don't have the patience to wait days or weeks to break in my boars I tried something different and so far I've broken in every boar in a matter of mins/hours not days.

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/mawashi-patented-15-min-boar-busting-method-lol.565409/

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I've been trying everything - night in the fridge, hand lathering with soap, agitating on a dry towel, hand, knee etc for 15m. And doing all these in rotation. I do seem to get results with all of this. Now I'm curious to see where the breaking in stops and nothing much changes any further. I guess you can only tell that in retrospect - maybe after weeks even.

I've been trying everything - night in the fridge, hand lathering with soap, agitating on a dry towel, hand, knee etc for 15m. And doing all these in rotation. I do seem to get results with all of this. Now I'm curious to see where the breaking in stops and nothing much changes any further. I guess you can only tell that in retrospect - maybe after weeks even.

Weeks is too long a period for me. If it takes that long I'll stick to my badgers.

Look closely at the tips. Estimate percentages that are split and multi-split. Review every so often. Once most are split, not a whole lot of improvement at that point. As it ages though, some of the splits break off on one side. I think this does make it seem even softer.

Looking at the causes of split ends on hairdressing sites, some are:
- excessive heat
- sun
- chemical products
- over-brushing wet hair
- mechanical damage

So seems like dunking the ends in boiling water and combing them frequently while wet look like good strategies. Bashing the hair against furniture might help, though I haven't seen any fast results with that. Don't know how similar dead boar hair is to live human hair.

I've also noticed some black hairs which are thicker and very stiff, and I've cut those out.

Something to keep in mind is that a bristle is, I think, technically not a hair. So different things may contribute more or less to splitting.

Top Bottom