What's new

Boar brushes and split ends -- the ultimate brush experience

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I assumed it meant wild boar, of either sex, rather than the domesticated males also called boars, but I really don’t know.
I highly doubt that wild boar hair is used, there are so many domesticated pigs that get slaughtered on a daily basis, so hair is abundant (and so is bacon)..... When I was a kid, I was often helping in my spring or fall break at my cousin's hotel/restaurant when a few pigs were slaughtered; the hair was scraped off with a square bell-like looking tool after the pig's skin was scalded with hot water.

In the paintbrush world it's referred to as hog bristle or China bristle, white or black, although occasionally with art brushes I've seen it called out as boar bristle. I also doubt that it's got anything to do with the sex of the animal; in older usage boar was a general term. There are a lot of names for pigs in English and other languages too for that matter.

I highly doubt that wild boar hair is used, there are so many domesticated pigs that get slaughtered on a daily basis, so hair is abundant (and so is bacon)..... When I was a kid, I was often helping in my spring or fall break at my cousin's hotel/restaurant when a few pigs were slaughtered; the hair was scraped off with a square bell-like looking tool after the pig's skin was scalded with hot water.
This makes sense. I always thought the hair in brushes looked kind of long for the pigs I've seen readied for slaughter, but I haven't run my hand through their hair to see! I wonder what part of the pig the hairs come from, or whether it's a particular breed, or whether they're just older and longer haired.

We need to set up a Badger & Blade field trip!

Without splitting hairs, or bristles in this case, how does someone know that the hair only comes from male pigs (i.e. boars), couldn't they also come from a female pig (i.e. sow)????
I suppose it's sort of like ordering coq au vin in the United States. Never as gamey as in France.

Well, I have to admit my experiences with boar brushes has been a little all over the place. I have three Zenith boars and really like them, however my olive wood handle on one of the brushes developed a split only a few times into its usage. (I don't soak the brush up to the handle and I don't soak it for longer than a couple of minutes) Anyway I contacted the seller and he very graciously offered a replacement gift card that covered the brush and most of the shipping. I got another synthetic. My other boar is a DaniDom brush from Spain. At first I really liked it and attributed its shedding to the break-in period. Now I see that every time I use it there's up to a dozen bristles in the sink. None of the Zeniths lose their bristles like this. It got to the point where I epoxied the split in the olive wood Zenith and it seems to be doing ok. So I don't use the Spanish brush much if at all and the Zeniths are all working out very well.
Cheers
IMG_2603.jpeg

RETALLADA_517719a3-f100-435a-bd0a-f4becdba94ad_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Top Bottom