What's new

Boar brushes and split ends -- the ultimate brush experience

I have been using brush and soap for more than 45 years. Way back when...there was not much choice in brushes. A drugstore boar brush was the best one could hope for. But the one nice thing about using one boar brush exclusively was the fact that when used on a daily basis boar bristle develops split ends. And this makes for an incredible smooth brush for lathering. It has been a while since I have experienced this because these days I rotate through 20+ brushes (boar, horse, badger and synth). I am tempted to pick one boar brush and use it exclusively until it develops split ends just to experience that wonderfully smooth brush feel. Apologies if I sound like a reminiscing old goat...

Around nine months ago, there was a thread about an old Italian barbers' trick to break in a new boar knot. It involved soaking the bristles, avoiding where they met the handle, in a glass of water for 48-72 hrs. in advance. Afterwards, the hairs were split, and the brush was soft. I tried it with a China-sourced boar bristle knot installed into an old-fashioned mug-style aluminum handle and it did the trick. Split ends in a abundance.

Otherwise, I too bought those drug store brushes and soaps back in the day when one was content with one brush and soap alone. Those were simpler times. Not having access to credit back then also helped to keep things simple... ;-)

I have just one shaving brush and it's a boar, a lower-end Semogue, and I've used it every other day for maybe a couple years now, every other day. Some of the ends have split (some have split multiple times) but many or most of the ends are as intact as they were when new. I really appreciate that the ends don't split because I brush my face with the dry brush between shaves to free what would be ingrown hairs. I also like the "scritch" to lift up my hairs with lather before they meet the blade.

Around nine months ago, there was a thread about an old Italian barbers' trick to break in a new boar knot. It involved soaking the bristles, avoiding where they met the handle, in a glass of water for 48-72 hrs. in advance. Afterwards, the hairs were split, and the brush was soft. I tried it with a China-sourced boar bristle knot installed into an old-fashioned mug-style aluminum handle and it did the trick. Split ends in a abundance.

Otherwise, I too bought those drug store brushes and soaps back in the day when one was content with one brush and soap alone. Those were simpler times. Not having access to credit back then also helped to keep things simple... ;-)

Ok, I'm going to try that.
I've got a boar hanging from a brush holder into a cup of water.
The water level is up to the artificially colored black band on the brush.

I have been using brush and soap for more than 45 years. Way back when...there was not much choice in brushes. A drugstore boar brush was the best one could hope for. But the one nice thing about using one boar brush exclusively was the fact that when used on a daily basis boar bristle develops split ends. And this makes for an incredible smooth brush for lathering. It has been a while since I have experienced this because these days I rotate through 20+ brushes (boar, horse, badger and synth). I am tempted to pick one boar brush and use it exclusively until it develops split ends just to experience that wonderfully smooth brush feel. Apologies if I sound like a reminiscing old goat...

I have the same "issue" with my brush rotation. All of my boars are relatively new, and switching between brushes has lengthened the break-in. Still, they feel pretty good now and expect they will only get better.

lasta

Blade Biter
I have just one shaving brush and it's a boar, a lower-end Semogue, and I've used it every other day for maybe a couple years now, every other day. Some of the ends have split (some have split multiple times) but many or most of the ends are as intact as they were when new. I really appreciate that the ends don't split because I brush my face with the dry brush between shaves to free what would be ingrown hairs. I also like the "scritch" to lift up my hairs with lather before they meet the blade.
Those semi-translucent hard hairs are probably glued wrong side up. They never split. I pluck them out.

Without splitting hairs, or bristles in this case, how does someone know that the hair only comes from male pigs (i.e. boars), couldn't they also come from a female pig (i.e. sow)????
I assumed it meant wild boar, of either sex, rather than the domesticated males also called boars, but I really don’t know.

Top Bottom