What's new

Boar brush suggestions?

Hey guys,

I currently am using a Shea Moisture Shave brush from target, and I as I have read here it is a badger brush. The brush seems to be fine for making and applying lathers but in the next month are so I would like to upgrade the brush to something a little nicer. I would like to put around $50 into a brush and as I have read it is better to go boar then a badger in this price range.

My questions are: What can I expect out of this upgrade? What brush would you suggest? Should I even do an upgrade with this little money or wait until I can put more money into a brush?

Also, my main reason for wanting to upgrade is I keep finding the odd hair in my sink after a shave. My secondary reason is........well I just would like another brush.

For $50 you could get 5 boar brushes if you wanted. Boar are rather inexpensive especially compared to badgers. You can't go wrong with an Omega or Semogue boar. The Semogue 1305 and the Omega Pro 49 seem to be two of the top picks around here. I suggest you get one of each and you'll still have money left over!

Other than Limited Editions or Customs, even the best boar brushes are well under $50. Of course, that's not to mean the performance isn't on par with the more expensive badgers. Many prefer a high-quality (yet still inexpensive) boar over the high-quality (and expensive) badger counterparts (myself included!). Look at vintagescent.com for Semogue brushes.

I had only tried cheap boar brushes until I got my Semogue 830, I couldn't believe how great it was when I first used it, and it only gets better!

With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Semogue boars.

I have a couple Omegas, 31064 and 81229, which are both nice brushes. They have some backbone but still had soft tips that keep improving with use. I haven't tried a Semogue yet but I hear good things about them. For your $50 budget you could probably get an Omega and a Semogue to try out.

I lurves me Omega 49 and especially the 31064. Just great brushes.
Gotta order me a Semogue one of these days...

Jeff

I highly recommend the Semogue 1250 boar...a quite excellent brush that cost all of about $20 USD shipped from Portugal!

I had only tried cheap boar brushes until I got my Semogue 830, I couldn't believe how great it was when I first used it, and it only gets better!

With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Semogue boars.

Rune...I was looking at the 830 over the 1305 because of the acrylic handle. That is what I will probably go with.

For $50 you can get a real nice limited edition boar brush. The two most used boar brush companies are Omega and Semogue. I personally use a Semogue 1305. You can get a nice boar brush with a wood handle for a reasonable price.

If you like the acrylic handle, I can vouch for the 830 being a nice brush. I prefer the SOC slightly, but it's got a wood handle.

Both are made by Semogue and available from Vintage Scent.

My vote is to add maybe $15 to your budget and pick up a Simpson Berkeley (Best Badger) for ~$50 and a Semogue 1470 for ~$15. The 1470 is right behind the SOC and 830 in my book. It's not nearly as dense or large, but it is well designed and has a good feel and function.

Last edited:
Price wise you can get the Pro 49 or the 10066 for $9 at WCS. Over at Shoebox Shave they have the 10015, 10104 and the 40033 on sale for $6.99 plus others at under $10. So these are some good prices for some good boars.

Top Bottom