What's new

Boar brush recommendations for face lathering

Hi guys,

I've been looking for a new boar brush to add to my collection after my favorite Semogue stopped working on me. Basically, I bought a Semogue 1305 after hearing how great it is. I couldn't wait to use it so I tried that accelerated break-in trick that you might find around these forums and YouTube - where you soak the brush in cold water for 3 days or so. After doing that, I used the brush pretty consistently for 7 months or so, took a short break, then went back to it. But when I went back, the brush stopped holding enough lather for 3 passes like it used to, and I quickly switched to a different brush. I didn't change anything about the way I loaded and lathered so I don't really know what happened. I know this brush in particular has treated/bleached bristles, could it be due to that?

I did some searching and apparently, I'm not the first to have this problem, although it doesn't seem to happen frequently: Semogue Boar Brushes Stop Performing? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/semogue-boar-brushes-stop-performing.495820/

So I am looking for boar brush recommendations that I can use to face lather. I also have an Omega 10049 and it works great, except the splay is a little too large on my face. The dimensions of the Semogue were perfect, so if you guys know of any similar brushes, I would appreciate any suggestions. Maybe getting a similar Semogue but without the treated bristles will make a difference?

Thanks for your time!

I suspect your brush will resume holding more lather if you go back to using it more consistently. Any time I deep clean my boar brushes they start eating lather like they were new for a few shaves. You could also try soaking your brush longer before you shave. If the bristles haven’t absorbed as much water as they can, they’ll eat your lather during the shave.

Somogue 1470 is the perfect boar face lathering brush in that size bracket (just very slightly smaller)

Semogue Torga C3 and C5 are also great for face lathering, but slightly bigger (not as big as the Omega 49)

If you want to try something different get a Zenith boar 24mm/57mm (Zenith blooms less so it won't feel bigger than the 1305)

Or there's the Proraso boar which is the Omega 49 only with a shorter loft, which of course makes it feel smaller and scrubber.

Or just be rational and buy them all.

Proraso Boar Brush

firstequip.jpeg

Omega 10051

artistry.jpeg

These two brushes are my favorite for face lathering :straight::straight::straight:

Both brushes' flow is very good, if you are looking for a brush which is not a lather eater I highly recommend Proraso and Omega 10051.

Omega 10066 and 10065 are a smaller knot than the 49. I love mine for face lathering. And inexpensive to try out. Omega 10005 is much the same, but wood, not plastic.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I think it’s the semouge 620
The smaller handle is wonderful for face lathering small break in period.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hi guys,

I've been looking for a new boar brush to add to my collection after my favorite Semogue stopped working on me. Basically, I bought a Semogue 1305 after hearing how great it is. I couldn't wait to use it so I tried that accelerated break-in trick that you might find around these forums and YouTube - where you soak the brush in cold water for 3 days or so. After doing that, I used the brush pretty consistently for 7 months or so, took a short break, then went back to it. But when I went back, the brush stopped holding enough lather for 3 passes like it used to, and I quickly switched to a different brush. I didn't change anything about the way I loaded and lathered so I don't really know what happened. I know this brush in particular has treated/bleached bristles, could it be due to that?

I did some searching and apparently, I'm not the first to have this problem, although it doesn't seem to happen frequently: Semogue Boar Brushes Stop Performing? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/semogue-boar-brushes-stop-performing.495820/

So I am looking for boar brush recommendations that I can use to face lather. I also have an Omega 10049 and it works great, except the splay is a little too large on my face. The dimensions of the Semogue were perfect, so if you guys know of any similar brushes, I would appreciate any suggestions. Maybe getting a similar Semogue but without the treated bristles will make a difference?

Thanks for your time!
If your brush is not making good lather it might just need a good cleaning, take some hair shampoo and try a few cleanings and then try it with your shave soaps.
I bowl lather and kind of know how much to make fo my shave and haven't noticed a decrease in efficentcy of my boar brushes yet.

Last edited:
I’ll make two recommendations and both are excellent brushes with a lot of fans.

Semogue SOC Boar. Break in through use. It will take some time but it is a great brush when broken in.

Connaught Omega Premium Jade Boar. A great brush. It will break in quicker than the SOC.

No fancy tricks just use them. There will be days they eat a ton of lather and days when you think, oh so now it’s broken in. But just keep using them and they’ll keep getting better.

I’ll make two recommendations and both are excellent brushes with a lot of fans.

Semogue SOC Boar. Break in through use. It will take some time but it is a great brush when broken in.

Connaught Omega Premium Jade Boar. A great brush. It will break in quicker than the SOC.

No fancy tricks just use them. There will be days they eat a ton of lather and days when you think, oh so now it’s broken in. But just keep using them and they’ll keep getting better.
I'm just hesitant with getting another Semogue and experiencing the same problem again. Other than that, they really are very good brushes.

I know this brush in particular has treated/bleached bristles, could it be due to that?
Nearly every boar brush has bleached bristles whether the seller says so or not, so it ain't that. (If the product description doesn't explicitly say "unbleached" then it almost certainly isn't unbleached.)

Could just try getting it back into a frequent-lather routine with a week or two of hand-lathers that you don't bother shaving with (i.e. lather for the sake of lathering) and see if that gets it back to happy condition. Also the usual advice for "I'm running out of lather" is "load more soap" whether that load level worked previously or not because there are loads of variables that could be getting in the way, but loading more soap usually overcomes them. That basically always works for Me when my boar brush surprises me and runs out of lather too soon.

I have two boar brushes that I use for both face lathering and bowl lathering. The smaller and less expensive ($17) brush that is similarly sized to your Semogue 1305 is the Omega 11137. It has a very comfortable (and attractive) wood handle, lathers any soap or cream, hasn't shed more than an occasional hair and as a not particularly dense brush it releases lather easily. My favorite boar is a Zenith metal handled brush that is a bit larger and denser than the Omega 1137. I believe it's this one that you can find on eBay for $30: "Zenith Pro Aluminum Handle XL Boar Shave Brush. 28x57mm knot. Made in Italy.B8."

If you want another boar, I can recommend the Omega 11137 ash wood handle boar. Excellent brush and a good value; I prefer it to the Semogue SOC boar. Inexpensive at Pasteur's Pharmacy in NYC. They have sales periodically, too.

proxy.php

Your 1305 can probably be rehabilitated. Rinse several times with a solution of two tablespoons vinegar per cup of water. Rinse with clean water several times. Make sure to soak the brush 5-10 minutes in warm water before using it each time.

...My favorite boar is a Zenith metal handled brush that is a bit larger and denser than the Omega 1137. I believe it's this one that you can find on eBay for $30: "Zenith Pro Aluminum Handle XL Boar Shave Brush. 28x57mm knot. Made in Italy.B8."
I think that is Zenith model B03-A26 (27mm x 57mm). An excellent brush (used it recently). A very good choice, but you must like large brushes, similar to Omega 49 in size. Absolutely decadent for face lathering, BTW.

Get the Omega Mighty Midget. 11047. I've been down the shaving brush rabbit hole and have tried lots and lots. For face lathering, this is the one you'll end up with. And for $15 bucks, you'll have no regrets at all. Small, too, so that it makes a great travel brush. When travelling, I put mine in a pill bottle with holes drilled in the lid.

I also toss in my vote for a SOC boar, I used to have it in ivory but I stupidly sold it off because I found the handle boring, but regretted it shortly after because it was such an amazing brush, now that I have it again with a butterscotch handle, I can't see myself ever using any other boar brush, none have come close to this one.
20211017_150819.jpg

Top Bottom