What's new

Boar Brush Recommendation

Eleven years ago when I first signed up to B&B, I asked for a brush recommendation. I purchased the recommended Omega 31064 brush (with the black and clear acrylic handle), and it has been a great brush. It’s all I used for 10 years. But now it’s all splay and flop.

I would like a new boar brush, but because I like to try different things, instead of just buying the same model, I’d like to try something else. I was thinking Semogue but that’s not necessary. I was also considering a shorter loft. I bought an Omega 10049, but gave it away. It was bigger than what I wanted anyway. So I’m back to ask for another recommendation. Price is a consideration. For example, I can’t justify the price of an SOC boar brush.

Eleven years ago when I first signed up to B&B, I asked for a brush recommendation. I purchased the recommended Omega 31064 brush (with the black and clear acrylic handle), and it has been a great brush. It’s all I used for 10 years. But now it’s all splay and flop.

I would like a new boar brush, but because I like to try different things, instead of just buying the same model, I’d like to try something else. I was thinking Semogue but that’s not necessary. I was also considering a shorter loft. I bought an Omega 10049, but gave it away. It was bigger than what I wanted anyway. So I’m back to ask for another recommendation. Price is a consideration. For example, I can’t justify the price of an SOC boar brush.
For inexpensive, I really like the omega 10066. Otherwise, maybe the Connaught Omega Jade boar.

I've been enjoying the newish Maggard boar knots. You could get a knot and a cheap handle for $25 US. APShaveCo has handles as low as $6 US. This would allow you to dial in loft and feel to your preferences.

@Dominic, obviously it's not my money but... after 10 years with one brush, I say treat yourself and go with the Connaught Premium Jade (Omega 011842). Good luck...

EDIT: I just took a look at the specs on the Omega 31064 (25mm knot, 59mm loft). Based on that information and the fact that you seemed to be satisfied with the brush for 10 years, I would like to add a Zenith B03-A26 (26mm knot, 57mm loft) for your consideration.

Last edited:
I think @ivan_101 has tested the whole Omega boar catalogue.

Personally I would simply get the Proraso boar by Omega - short & scrubby.
Not the whole. Probably around 60%.

@Dominic 31064 is 59/25. It is a big brush. The Proraso has similar dimensions. If you buy the Proraso, you might get in the situation where there isn't a difference with the old one. If you used a big brush for 10 years and want to try a shorter knot, I would recommend to not buy a brush shorter than 55mm.
Also you didn't say if you want backbone or floppy. Scratchy or soft.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

An unbleached Zenith boar from Your Shaving.

Zenith.Unbleached.Boar.BrandNew.640.3-19-20.JPG9-14-20.Unbleached.Zenith.Wood.640.JPG

The cheap plastic handled ivory colored brush is "too tall" but functions very well indeed as does the brush with the wooden handle. I've not tried the chrome-looking handled brush but it might be right size for you. These are great knots but take some breaking in.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Not the whole. Probably around 60%.

@Dominic 31064 is 59/25. It is a big brush. The Proraso has similar dimensions. If you buy the Proraso, you might get in the situation where there isn't a difference with the old one. If you used a big brush for 10 years and want to try a shorter knot, I would recommend to not buy a brush shorter than 55mm.
Also you didn't say if you want backbone or floppy. Scratchy or soft.
No, I’d like a shorter loft than what I had. I prefer the backbone; it’ll be floppy in ten years. 🙂

Reactions: bjm

I recently bought an Omega 10029 "baby pro" as my first boar brush, thinking to use it for face lathering as well as bowl lathering. So far I like it very much. I have some larger brushes, but I find the mid-sized ones easier to use. The baby pro has good backbone, and has done well in a month of almost every day use.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Two more Zeniths for your consideration. These are bleached.

Zeniths.2.Wood.640.4-18.JPG

They are fairly small brushes according to me, but could be too large according to you.

The Eagle handles are great for me. I'm a face latherer. The main difference is cosmetic, the ring, but also one has a lower loft as pictured.

These are available I think from the American eBay vendor. Perhaps elsewhere.

I would never recommend to you a floppy brush without telling you it was floppy. These are not at all floppy, nor are the unbleached Zeniths I previously mentioned.

Happy shaves,

Jim

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I should warn you that I've never had a Semogue boar with that funky stink. So if you enjoy that smell you will be disappointed with Semogue.

Try the Omega 10051 or 40033 for small, but dense and scrubby brushes
Try the 11137 for a nice wood-handled brush, not too floppy.
The 20102 knot is divine, but it's a large, long knotted brush and needs technique adjustments.
The 10098 is also a nice large brush, but denser/scrubbier than the 20102
Really, it all depends on what you want - one brush to use till it dies or a variety of recommendations to try.

If it's just one brush you want - any preference in characteristics (i'm limiting the question to boar brushes)

Top Bottom