What's new

Boar Brush Pass Around

Want to try some boar brushes to see what all the clamor is about with these brushes? Here’s your chance. @MaineYooper & myself are throwing a boar brush pass around!

Details:
To participate, you need to have a minimum of 100 quality posts on B & B.

Please keep the brushes no more than 2 weeks.

Please wash & thoroughly rinse all brushes you used in a mild dish soap like Dawn after you are finished.

Please allow a full 24 hours for the brushes to dry before packaging & sending the box off to the next person. Please don't use a hairdryer on the brushes. Air dry brushes by letting them sit out in an open space such as a countertop or dresser before placing them back in their tubes. Place all brushes in their tubes before mailing.

Use bubble wrap, foam peanuts, or crumpled paper to cushion & protect the contents.

Insure the box for $200. You will be spending approximately $20 in postage to mail the box. Due to the weight, it will ship Priority Mail.

PM a photo to me & the next participant of the box with the shipping address & tracking number visible.

CC me on all PM’s regarding shipping & receipt of brushes to participants.

Some people are sensitive to strong scents, so please be considerate of others & use mild scented soaps/creams.

If the box starts getting broken down, please let me know.

This pass around is CONUS only. Shipping only to street addresses, no PO Boxes or third party mail forwarding. Sorry!

After using the brushes, please post your thoughts on the brushes in this thread.

By signing up you agree to follow all of the above conditions.

The Brushes:
The brushes in the pass around (as pictured l to r in photo), along with knot size & loft in mm are:

Omega Premium Jade, 27 / 52
Omega Proraso Pro, 28 / 65
Omega #13564, 23 / 45
Semogue SOC, 24 / 57
Semogue Galahad C3, 22 / 55
Semogue #830, 22 / 55
Zenith 506U XSE Unbleached, 27 / 56
Zenith 80B XSE Unbleached, 27 / 64
Zenith 80N Bleached, 26 / 64

How do I sign up?
Copy & paste the signup sheet adding your name & state you live in.
Send me a PM with your name, address, email, & phone #.
We’ll arrange the order based on geographic proximity to each other in order to keep shipping costs as low as possible.
Once the pass around begins, additional eligible entries will be added to the end of the list.

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

Boar Brush Pass Around Sign Up
Copy & paste into your own new post
Name, state (example: dmshaver, Missouri)

What a nice gesture.
Some folks should jump on this. I have so many brushes that I have most of these so it's not for me. But if you want to learn how much difference a boar knot can feel, this is a good way to learn before buying.
Thanks for doing it.

Ohhh. What a great way to try some of the best of the best in boar shaving brushes!

I am in Canada and have many of these brushes, so I won’t be participating, but this is an excellent idea!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
If you’re not familiar with boar but are curious, it’s a great way to try something new. I‘m a big fan and I think you have a nice variety of quality brushes there.

Normally I would be all over something like this with say, razors.

But alas, I get an allergic reaction to natural bristles. I have tried boar, badger and horse and all make my face itch and break out in spots. :(

I have to regrettably pass on this awesome pass around. I'm just grateful that synthetic knots have come a long way over the years.

I can't believe that no-one has signed up for this pass around yet! I just popped in to this forum to see what people are saying about boars these days and found this thread.

I'm moving in early June and I'd prefer to not add clutter to my house before then (or have a brush accidentally get packed away). So I'm going to sign up to be 4th, but others should jump in ahead of me!

Boar Brush Pass Around Sign Up
Copy & paste into your own new post
Name, state (example: dmshaver, Missouri)

4. bobmsp, Minnesota

Thanks gents for your support. Those that try this pass around will hopefully have a good experience & discover the wonderful world of boar!

And glad you signed up @bobmsp. Good luck with your move. We'll be getting those slots filled up so we can get this boar show on the road!

I'm In! I love boar and like smaller knots so I would never actually be able to try any of these out besides maybe the the 22-23mm ones. Plus you gotta start off with the corners and you don't get much more southwest then Imperial Beach.

1. Vraad, California.
4. bobmsp, Minnesota

Plus you gotta start off with the corners and you don't get much more southwest then Imperial Beach.
IB is definitely bottom left hahaha!

Are these brushes new, broken in, or mixed?

I would have been all over this pass around a year or so ago. The idea is super cool! I'm pleased with my Zenith B33 for now, and taking part might start a new case of BAD!

Who else wants in? We'll be getting started pretty soon & you can jump in anytime, but if you want to get an early spot instead of having to wait I suggest you get signed up.

The brushes arrived right after I shaved two days ago so, go figure. I like 16-20mm knots, so today was the first spin the semogues #830 and galahad C3, both are quite delightful, both a bit higher lofted then my liking, with the galahad feeling a wee little denser and finer haired. being a fan of longer handles these both don't float my boat with the 830 being a new shape to me and one I don't like.
DSCF0398.JPG

Great input, thanks! Those 2 Semogues are the smallest knot in the pass around at 22mm, & they do have a high loft. Perhaps the small Omega #13564 might be more to your liking with a 23mm knot but just 45mm of loft. But then the knot is larger & the handle shorter than you prefer. As you can see from the rest of the brushes, they are larger knots. By trying these different brushes, at least you're able to confirm what you do like by using what you don't like! Thanks for the initial write-up, we look forward to more. And most importantly, enjoy your shaves!

Yesterday was the Omega #13564 and the SOC. The Omega coming in at 23mm knot lofted to 45mm I thought would be right up my alley, but even short lofted as it was the hairs lack a lot of back bone felt almost badgery, wasn't expecting that! Would be great to try and convert badger lovers and at 5 bucks sure beats the price of a 2 band. The the SOC was quite nice! great boar backbone and nice soft tips, this knot set a few mm's lower in a rubberset 400 clone would be my jam. The handles are getting better the SOC was close to my liking still a bit short. Man I forgot how much these big boars hog lather! the next to rounds will really bent the soap!
DSCF0402.JPG

Top Bottom