What's new

Boar brush ( or Boar rush) break-in: enough is enough

I think you know my opinions on the break-in process. In my estimation the time spent getting bristle brushes prepared for use is worth the investment.

I'm also reminded by experience--including recent experiences--that some boar brushes break-in more easily than others, and that one needs to accept that the amount of work necessary to make a brush "shave-worthy" can vary considerably.

Boar bristles can be broken in using one's face, they break-in one way or another (assuming they are used) but I prefer giving them a head start and at least getting the process of tip splitting and getting the knot to relax underway.

To that end, getting in additional wet/dry cycles and working the knot and tips is a significant plus from my point of view. Doing this accelerates the process, and actively working my new brushes (as I ask myself what they need from me to improve them?) gives me a certain bond with the brushes and a sense of investment in the process. I add value.

I try to maximize the number of wet/dry cycles. Time permitting, I will often do a series, back-to-back. Just a quick dip of a nearly-dry brush is enough to reboot a "wet" cycle. And the more the brush gets "worked," the better.

I'm convinced that new brushes come out of my process far ahead of what just soaking or just using them with minimal break-in offers as an alternative.

That said, bristles will break-in with time and regular use, so especially with an "easy to break-in brush," people can choose their own paths, such as leaving most of the break-in to use. I know my preference.

I'm agnostic on 1.2 step (the shampoo and conditioner) as I've never used either on my brushes.

Hard to go too wrong, as bristle is resilient and will get better and better and better over time.

Bill
Thank you Bill. I do indeed know and appreciate your opinions on this matter.

The shampoo/conditioner thing was something I happened on recently so I decided to give it a go on my existing brushes last Saturday. Essentially I hand lathered shampoo and after a rinse I hand lathered conditioner. I left the conditioner in for a couple of minutes and after a good rinse the bristles felt noticeably softer.

I know you mentioned before that you typically don't do an initial soak in dish detergent. I was planning on doing that but decided to replace dish detergent with products that are meant for hair. At least that's how I'm rationalizing it.

BTW I checked the status of the shipment and haven't seen an update in a week. I wonder if they're sailing across the Atlantic.
Still plenty of time left before the start of Decemboar.

1699651598684.png

Paul

The shampoo/conditioner thing was something I happened on recently so I decided to give it a go on my existing brushes last Saturday. Essentially I hand lathered shampoo and after a rinse I hand lathered conditioner. I left the conditioner in for a couple of minutes and after a good rinse the bristles felt noticeably softer.

I know you mentioned befroe that you typically don't do an initial soak in dish detergent. I was planning on doing that but decided to replace dish detergent with products that are meant for hair. At least that's how I'm rationalizing it.

Paul

Bristle is pretty tough stuff. I doubt it would suffer too much from exposure to hair products. LOL

Shave soap has a nice effect, and any nice lingering scent makes the active break-in time all the more pleasurable by filling the air with beautiful fragrance. Nice!

Nice thing about piggies, is you can pretty much do what you damn well feel like and it will be okay, as long as you keep using them regularly. They truly get better, and better, and better the more use they get--and that's over decades and decades, generations.

Bill

I know you mentioned before that you typically don't do an initial soak in dish detergent. I was planning on doing that but decided to replace dish detergent with products that are meant for hair. At least that's how I'm rationalizing it.

BTW I checked the status of the shipment and haven't seen an update in a week. I wonder if they're sailing across the Atlantic.

View attachment 1746432

Paul
I don't know how it is for Canada Post (I assume its Canada Post by your screenshot) but in the US you can check thru USPS once an item is in the country. I am pretty sure I know the site you are using but I don't know the exact website it is as I was using a bunch when I could not track some items but found they all gave the same information. Sometimes with carriers they don't always link up in tracking with other national carriers. In my case here in the USA, I could not get tracking out of a brush from vintagescent.com once it left Portugal as they used their national carrier. I could see it left Portugal but USPS did not allow tracking (the item did arrive safely), the same for the another item I have coming in from Sweden, it won't track via USPS but I saw it left Sweden (which in this case I think its because of the type of delivery method sent meaning 1st class international, not that I am worried). These were the only cases were I could not track an item from start to finish, the rest I ordered from overseas I have been without issue so this was weird to me when it happened.

I am assuming you ordered your shipment thru yourshaivng.com or gifts and care. They use Spain Post, as I can see, and I am able to track mine thru their website, which your tracking should be in an email link and you can check with the same tracking number thru Canada Post (if that is your national carrier). It doesn't mean the brush is sailing thru the Atlantic, likley its made more prgoress than that especially with DecemBOAR just around the corner. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
I don't know how it is for Canada Post (I assume its Canada Post by your screenshot) but in the US you can check thru USPS once an item is in the country. I am pretty sure I know the site you are using but I don't know the exact website it is as I was using a bunch when I could not track some items but found they all gave the same information. Sometimes with carriers they don't always link up in tracking with other national carriers. In my case here in the USA, I could not get tracking out of a brush from vintagescent.com once it left Portugal as they used their national carrier. I could see it left Portugal but USPS did not allow tracking (the item did arrive safely), the same for the another item I have coming in from Sweden, it won't track via USPS but I saw it left Sweden (which in this case I think its because of the type of delivery method sent meaning 1st class international, not that I am worried). These were the only cases were I could not track an item from start to finish, the rest I ordered from overseas I have been without issue so this was weird to me when it happened.

I am assuming you ordered your shipment thru yourshaivng.com or gifts and care. They use Spain Post, as I can see, and I am able to track mine thru their website, which your tracking should be in an email link and you can check with the same tracking number thru Canada Post (if that is your national carrier). It doesn't mean the brush is sailing thru the Atlantic, likley its made more prgoress than that especially with DecemBOAR just around the corner. I hope that helps.
Thank you for your reply! Your assumptions are correct. I did order from Yourshaving and I live in Canada.
I did input the tracking number in the Canada Post web site and they’re definitely linked with the Spanish carrier.

Expected delivery​

Waiting for item
Updated: Today at 8:47 pm

Origin
Caleta De Vélez Dis, ES

Paul

@awk_m4 Thats similar to USPS when an item leaves the country of origin (Spain) then it shows "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment". The next update is when it actually lands in the US, usually in New York.

Well that's good they are linked part of what I like about wetshaving is seeing the items as they come along so hopefully yours will arrive soon, which I am sure it will.

View attachment 1746432

Paul

I had the same thing from Canada Post. I ordered them Oct 23 left originating country on the 24th then nothing until Nov 2, cleared customs Nov 3 and was on my door step Monday the 6th!

Top Bottom