What's new

Boar brush - Optimal loft height for face lathering

Or maybe your Proraso is softer than others. It can happen I guess… no brush is exactly the same as hair is a natural product.
and thats is why i am very afraid of any loft above 55mm. I dont want to end up with a brush which is soft yet floppy. Especially if its a thick brush, then it becomes very hard to control the brush on the face :(

I read each of the discussion posts again and again. This is where I am drifting towards

1) Zenith 26mm with 56-57mm unbleached - my preferred handle is 507
2) Semogue Torga C5 - oh the Semogues, just pure love for them. And I can throw in a 1460 along with the order (because its so cheap)

Unfortunately I don't have a great relationship with Omegas, so I shall give it a pass.

Thanks,
H.

I also have a Zenith B15 with a 27.5 x 57 boar knot. Excellent brush - wonderful bristles.

The B15 and Torga C5 brushes are different type/shaped brushes. I enjoy using different types of boar brushes and the great thing is that even the ones with premium bristles just don't cost that much money compared to lots of other shaving gear.

In general, I like the Semogue models with premium bristles. That said, the 1460 and 1470 are fun little brushes. I prefer the feel of the wood handle on 1470.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
That is a difficult question to answer. It will depend on if you swirl or paint, how hard you push, the density of the brush, the stiffness of the bristles.

Of the boars I own, I'd say if you want a Zenith go longer than shorter. Semogue go shorter than longer. Omega probably 55mm.

My two favorite brushes are Zenith boars. A 507 and a 502. Both unbleached. The 507 is 27/56 and the 502 is 26/55. Can't tell much difference between them while face lathering. Got both from Yourshaving.com in Spain.
IMG_1372.JPG

I’ve done a lot of experimenting with boar knots. I’ve settled on larger knots (27, 28mm) and like the big Omega and Zeniths. My preference would be between 52 and 58 mm for loft depending on hole size. Hard soap user and 100% face lathered.

Top Bottom