What's new

Boar Brush Help

Ok, guys. I've been able to do really well with every aspect of this little hobby from straights to DEs, and I get incredible lather with all of my badger brushes. However, I recently bought a Semogue 1305 (used for 5 or 6 days or so and have been getting nothing but poor results irrespective of soaps/cream. I've spent a lot of time loading the brush and slowly added the water, etc. What are your tips and tricks for making a really quality lather with a boar brush.

I'm almost tempted to say that they aren't worth it when it is ridiculously simple to get good results with all of my badger brushes. However, I've been told that a good boar is a great brush, and by all accounts mine should be a "good boar"... So, I want to see it work. Thanks

Hmm......my problem is I just don't understand the question, because I've been getting great results with my boar brush pretty much since day one; equal or superior to the results I got with my badger hair brush, which I have since sold.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

For me the main difference is that the boar brush doesn't hold as much water as does the badger. So maybe you think you've got plenty of water when it the lather really needs more?

Hmm......my problem is I just don't understand the question, because I've been getting great results with my boar brush pretty much since day one; equal or superior to the results I got with my badger hair brush, which I have since sold.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

For me the main difference is that the boar brush doesn't hold as much water as does the badger. So maybe you think you've got plenty of water when it the lather really needs more?

Don't understand, or don't have similar issues? :lol:

I always seem to miss the sweet spot of not enough and too much water without ever getting that lather explosion that I look for.:confused:

Paul, I regularly use an Omega 31064 as a face latherer, and my only observation was that the brush actually required a little break-in period compared to my badgers. After a couple of weeks steady use, it was good to go. Just think of it as breaking in a new A2000 :wink:.

I've spent a lot of time loading the brush and slowly added the water, etc. What are your tips and tricks for making a really quality lather with a boar brush.

Doesn't work well with boar brushes imo. I had a similar problem when I bought my Omegas. I think, perhaps like you, I was using the brush in the same manner I would a badger brush.

Here's how I lather with a boar now: soak brush, let excess drip out. Then take brush to puck of soap, lather on the puck for about 30 seconds, or until you see those suds begin to resemble something more like lather. Take brush to face and lather for a further 30 seconds. No additional adding of any water is needed.

Now I get excellent lather every time from my Omegas and the 48 has actually become by favourite soap brush. The key is start with a lot of water in the brush and add more soap, rather than the other way round, which is the preferred method with badger brushes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIsj58fqVjY

This video might prove helpful. I personally to not lather as much on the puck as he does; perhaps half the time, and then continue to face lather, but the general idea is excellent.

Now I get excellent lather every time from my Omegas and the 48 has actually become by favourite soap brush. The key is start with a lot of water in the brush and add more soap, rather than the other way round, which is the preferred method with badger brushes.

Exactly! I've only recently went back to boar, Paul, and you need to make sure only to let the the excess water drip from the brush. No shaking. No little squeezes. Just let her drip and start lathering as normal. You may need to add some water as you go along, but depending on what you're using, you may be fine. I've only used my Omega #10077 for about, oh, two weeks now, and it seems that for soaps the brush holds close to the amount of water you need more so than creams, but it holds its own against my two badger brushes just fine.

EDIT: Nice video you found there, Ignatius. He's a bit overkill on that puck though isn't he? :thumbup1:

Last edited:
hmmm.... I've definitely been shaking (and squeezing) :redface: the boar brush like I would my badger (not as much, but definitely more than "none" :biggrin:).

I'll try your recommendations. Thanks!

Paul, I hope this works out for you, I recently got the 1305 and have found it to be a great latherer. I use shave sticks exclusively (I know (!) you have experience with those), I soak the brush in hot water for a couple of minutes, give it 3 shakes and get to work. Don't give up on it.

This is a tip that I posted on another thread and I thought I'd post it here as well:

If you want to help break the brush in quicker, wet the brush and use a blow dryer while running your fingers thru the hair and across the top of the brush to help circulate the hot air into the brush. That will help split the ends. Repeat the process a few times. The brush will be broken in in no time.

I would also recommend getting a puck of Williams or VDH and practice lathering in your palm.:thumbup1:

Paul, I used my 1305 for the first time this morning. I made the lather on a puck of Pirates Cove Bay Rum Shave Soap. I could not believe the large amount of rich lather. As far as the brush goes, I can't imagine it performing any better. Maybe that's the secret, the 1305 works better when you make the later on the puck.

Paul, I used my 1305 for the first time this morning. I made the lather on a puck of Pirates Cove Bay Rum Shave Soap. I could not believe the large amount of rich lather. As far as the brush goes, I can't imagine it performing any better. Maybe that's the secret, the 1305 works better when you make the later on the puck.

Maybe so, but doesn't that use a lot of product unnecessarily?

Maybe so, but doesn't that use a lot of product unnecessarily?

What I ended up doing was switching to a bowl and just kept working it. I must say, it was the most lather that I have ever made at one time and it was a very enjoyable shave. If there was unnecessary waste, it was luxury.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I don't know the brush that you have but I've been using a Wilkinson Sword and a Men-U without any problems. A badger is easy to use, a boar will get you there with a bit more efforts.

When I was using my badger, it was taking me around 30-45 seconds to get a decent lather. When I am using my boar brush, 60-75 secs to get the same quality lather. Sometimes a bit longer.

Exactly! I've only recently went back to boar, Paul, and you need to make sure only to let the the excess water drip from the brush. No shaking. No little squeezes. Just let her drip and start lathering as normal. You may need to add some water as you go along, but depending on what you're using, you may be fine. I've only used my Omega #10077 for about, oh, two weeks now, and it seems that for soaps the brush holds close to the amount of water you need more so than creams, but it holds its own against my two badger brushes just fine.

EDIT: Nice video you found there, Ignatius. He's a bit overkill on that puck though isn't he? :thumbup1:

I recently started using a vintage Ever Ready boar and have been having trouble with the lathering. I have been shakin' and squeezin' as well. But no more than twice! :lol: I will try this at the next shave, thanks for the tip!

I had some better luck with my 1305 last night using TSD Lime... Pics will be uploaded from my iPhone later. I'm not sure if it was my technique improving or that soap that made the difference, but I was pretty pleased with the results (and I it wasn't anyorr of a struggle than my badger brushes either).

I'll be interested to hear see what u guys think of the end product. Thanks for the tips, guys!

This isn't the best lather that I've gotten, but it's the best that I've gotten from my boar brush by a long shot. Sorry for the bad pics, but I took this with my iPhone last night. Being lazy, I didn't feel like going to get the good camera. :tongue:

Let me know what you think:001_smile

This making lather and how to do it ... after so many words it's like telling someone how to ride a bicycle. It's just something you do your homework on, then get to doing it. You're looking at it and it's not lathering up good so just a dab more water, no that didn't do it, so another jab at the soap etc etc. It sorta just comes along on its own. I've found even learning a new brush is like that. Never quite the same as any before but always enjoyable! Enjoy!

Top Bottom