What's new

Boar brush for Proraso cream?

I meant has anyone actually used it in that manner. He almost just holds it by the bristles and barely uses the handle. I have the Omega 49 but I use it like all other brushes. Such a great video though.

I’ve tried choking up on the handle of the Proraso Pro like that before and using my fingers to manipulate the bristles, but it got uncomfortable after a while; I have small hands!

I agree, its my favourite and always a reference for what a great lather should look like.

Just when I needed an excuse to post this video of a Master Barber in Italy using a giant boar with Proraso:

Wow. Fili for both beard AND the head shave. Filly just feels so thin that I feel like I'll ruin it if I use it on my head.
I shall think on this next time I decide to shave my hair up top.

Thanks for the cool vid!

Well my brush and green Proraso showed up this weekend!!! I was a little shocked at the size of the brush. Its huge!

After it got wet though, it gave off the lovely aroma of wet dog and moth balls.

I have shampooed it with some dawn dish soap and actual shampoo, and after a couple rinse and lathers, it's starting to go away.

The Proraso green was not what i was expecting. Its quite refreshing! We finally got some warmer weather here this weekend and the cooling sensation it gives got me pumped up for summer.

Im excited to try the red and the white now. The green lathers really well. Although i love my hard soaps, i have to admit the tube of cream is convenient

...My friend also suggested I give a boar brush a try with the creams. I ordered an Omega Pro 48 to give it a try...
Good suggestion and great brush. Enjoy.

...Some sources suggest that the stiffer bristles of the boar brush are better for hard soaps and badgers are better for whipping up creams...
Nonsense.
Meet Semogue 1305, softer tips than most of my badgers

Semogue 1305, Feb2020.jpg

I know that most of the suggestions are leaning towards the Omega professional boar brushes, but I'd like to recommend a Semogue Owner's Club Boar brush.

This is my SOC, in the process of break-in and still feels great on face.
Pardon the low quality picture, it doesn't do justice to the brush.

SAVE_20210322_100810.jpg

The Semogue Owner's Club for me, is a wonderful middle of the road brush - not too small, not too big.
Even with its 24 mm knot and 55 mm loft, it is maneuverable and face feel is excellent.

The Omega Professional brush is a BIG brush, and it'll take some practice to properly use it.

I think Omega Professional Boar brush is suitable for people who actually enjoys large brush, anyone unsure of his preference could find himself in a love/ hate relationship with the brush.

I use Omega Boar and nothing else than soft creams. Soft creams and soaps are basically the same: fat(ty acids) and lye. There is absolutely no problem at all to use Omega Boar together with a soft cream.

To say it honestly, all my other brushes has been ending up in the trash bin except for boar. I think they are great for everything.

So im not sure if this belongs in the shaving cream or brush thread, so I'll stick it here.

I have used exclusively hard soaps until this point, and recently a friend of mine suggested i give Proraso a try. I, admittedly, probably went overboard but i ordered a tub of white and red and a tube of green last night.

My friend also suggested I give a boar brush a try with the creams. I ordered an Omega Pro 48 to give it a try.

After some reading and more research though, I think i may have been doing this all backwards. Some sources suggest that the stiffer bristles of the boar brush are better for hard soaps and badgers are better for whipping up creams.

Is there a significant difference in the performance of boar vs badger for soap vs cream? Or is this like pretty much everything else and a matter of personal preference.
The great thing about natural bristle brushes, whether boar or badger is that as natural products they're each a little different. Any type of brush will work with any type of lathering cream or soap, it's just learning how to work the specific brush.

The Omega Pro 48, or 49, if you get a nice example are large wonderful brushes. If you get a stiff one, it may be a while until they can become fun. But, at about $10 US there's little that can compete with their knots. The handles for me are not the best or most comfortable, larger than needed and sometimes slippery- I do have smaller hands.

I've had boars that arrived plush and wonderful and some that have been very stiff. Boars do break in more than badgers. Badgers for me bloom, but don't seem to get significantly softer, while boars soften more as the tips split.

Of all the boars I've ever tried, the Connaught Jade Omega with its solid, nice handle and softish knot has been the single best. The SOC is also very nice; I found the little Zenith P2 impressive for the price. The knot on my Omega 48 is great and whips up huge amounts of lather from both soaps and creams.

Enjoy your new Pro 48!

Top Bottom