What's new

Boar brush for Proraso cream?

So im not sure if this belongs in the shaving cream or brush thread, so I'll stick it here.

I have used exclusively hard soaps until this point, and recently a friend of mine suggested i give Proraso a try. I, admittedly, probably went overboard but i ordered a tub of white and red and a tube of green last night.

My friend also suggested I give a boar brush a try with the creams. I ordered an Omega Pro 48 to give it a try.

After some reading and more research though, I think i may have been doing this all backwards. Some sources suggest that the stiffer bristles of the boar brush are better for hard soaps and badgers are better for whipping up creams.

Is there a significant difference in the performance of boar vs badger for soap vs cream? Or is this like pretty much everything else and a matter of personal preference.

I cant say i have any complaints with my badger brushes in hard soaps, as i sprinkle a little hot water on them and let them sit to soften before taking the brush to it.

I will experiment when everything arrives, but looking forward to others thoughts as well!

Proraso cream or Soap (tube or tub) will lather beautifully with a boar or a badger.
Most professional barbers in Italy will use a big boar brush on their clients. It’s cheap and gets the job done. Your 48 is such a big barber brush. Other then badger, boar will get softer with use as the hairtips split. Some like a fresh scrubby boar some like the fully broken in soft boar. I like the breaking in process, once they are fully broken in I tend to lose interest....

If this is your first boar enjoy it. It will definitely be change of pace compared to your Badgers.

I think it is personal preference. The Omega boar brush was my first and favorite. It is a classic. I use it more often than my synthetic brush because I like how it bowl lathers.

Omega 48 is my favourite brush I have 2. It works fine with soap or croap I don't usually use cream so couldn't comment on that.
If I was restricted to one brush it would be a 48.

The biggest difference is that although boar is stiffer at the beginning, takes a while for those bristles to split and soften, but once that happens a boar can be just as soft or sometimes softer that badgers, they hold a bit more water but once they are saturated the lather just explodes out of them!

It's a personal preference. Boar will work fine with creams & softer soaps, as well as hard soaps. I go between boar & badger regularly & give no consideration to the soap I'm using. Give your new boar brush at least 20 - 30 shaves to start breaking in to feel the softness a good boar brush affords. You made a good choice, enjoy!

I prefer synthetic brushes with creams and soft soaps. I fine they work better than boar or badger.
Give one a try you might like it.

I have used all six of my boars with Proraso cream, including the the Proraso pro boar. To replicate an Italian barbershop lathering experience, maybe the Proraso Pro, Omega 48 or 49 or a Zenith B2 (B03-A26). But, any broken in boar will get you where you want to go.

@Jbird45, FWIW, I've been using the Omega 10048 (aka Proraso Pro) for years. It's a wonderful brush, (BUT!!) as any boar bristle brush it takes some time for bristles to fully "develop", that is to soften up. Once that happens it'll be as soft as a badger. Some folks speed up the process by wetting the tips of the brush in boiling water, then storing the brush in the freezer.

Bottom-line is, the Omega 48 will work great with either Proraso soap in tub or Proraso cream in tube.

Fast-fwd to today: after having tried all 6 Proraso lines over the years, the only one I truly like is the Cypress & Vetiver (olive drab green) and I have replaced ALL my brushes (badgers and boars) with synthetic Simpson Trafalgar T3. Better than any natural hair brush in every aspect imaginable - needs no soaking, better, easier to build lather, no shedding, no smell, no problem storing it in bathroom or humid environment, dries instantly, ideal for travel, needs ZERO care. OH yeah - costs $25 bucks.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
A good boar is on my agenda. I will give Proraso cream a go. I will be interested to see how it goes.

Thanks for posting! Has any home shaver ever used a brush like that? Like a giant paintbrush!

I think the brush is a Proraso Professional brush, which is made by Omega.

The knot is 28 mm. Definately worth picking one up to try as they can be found for less than $20 USD and are great brushes.

Last edited:
I’ll recommend the Omega 20102 Boar, it’s nickname is “Badger Killer”. It is part of the Omega Professional Series and the tips are amazing once broken in. It has enough backbone to lather any soap and once broken in the soft tips caress the face while face lathering any cream or soap. A great brush that costs about $14.50...what’s not to like.

I think the brush is a Proraso Professional brush, which is made by Omega.

The knot is 28 mm. Definately worth picking one up to try as they can be found for less than $20 USD and are great brushes.
I meant has anyone actually used it in that manner. He almost just holds it by the bristles and barely uses the handle. I have the Omega 49 but I use it like all other brushes. Such a great video though.

Top Bottom